Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anschutz 335 Queries

Anschutz 335 Queries

I am slowly building a collection, having re-discovered my interest in air rifles just over a year ago, after some 35 years of absence.

After many interesting posts, here, which stimulated my interest, I recently added to my collection a Webley Omega and a Longbow (Birmingham built). After some patience, it is remarkable what appears from the woodwork in gunshops.

I attended Kempton (well done Binners) and struck up conversations with some interesting, knowledgeable attendees. My eyes also met with an Anschutz 335 and I gather these were highly accurate, albeit rather low on power, with poor welding causing splitting if the power was raised, due to recoil problems.

In particular, I am wondering how the rifles differed. I believe there was a Mk1, a Mk2 and a Mk2 Magnum. Could anyone kindly explain the difference between each and, not least, from the power viewpoint?

Many thanks, in anticipation!

Mk1: rounded stock, pull-forward barrel release (copied on the Webley Omega).

Mk2: squared stock, clutch lever barrel release (copied from 1970s Walther LGV).

They were sold in the UK as 12 ft-lbs models but usually made more like 10.

The 335S (both variants) was a German-market sub 7.5 Joule (= roughly 6 ft-lbs) starter 10M target model with a weaker spring, often sold with an aperture rear sight.

We have had some debate on here about the front stock mounts being prone to shearing. Many say that happens, especially if amateurly over-sprung to raise power. My example has that. Others have had different experiences.

Worcester Black Powder Supplies did a custom one in 1984 or so (the Marauder) which by all accounts at the time was very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Mk1: rounded stock, pull-forward barrel release (copied on the Webley Omega).

Mk2: squared stock, clutch lever barrel release (copied from 1970s Walther LGV).

They were sold in the UK as 12 ft-lbs models but usually made more like 10.

The 335S (both variants) was a German-market sub 7.5 Joule (= roughly 6 ft-lbs) starter 10M target model with a weaker spring, often sold with an aperture rear sight.

We have had some debate on here about the front stock mounts being prone to shearing. Many say that happens, especially if amateurly over-sprung to raise power. My example has that. Others have had different experiences.

Worcester Black Powder Supplies did a custom one in 1984 or so (the Marauder) which by all accounts at the time was very good.

Thank you, for that, Geezer. What was the model with 'magnum' on it? Was this the Mk2 and did they manage to address the problem with shearing with the later model? Was there any difference in power between the Mk1 and Mk2? I looked carefully at the open 'V' sights on the one I saw at Kempton, which was a Mk2 but not sure if it had 'Magnum' on it. These sights were most impressive, unlike many cheaper plastic versions one sees elsewhere.
    Last edited by andrewM; 26-03-2018 at 08:59 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Thank you, for that, Geezer. What was the model with 'magnum' on it? Was this the Mk2 and did they manage to address the problem with shearing with the later model? Was there any difference in power between the Mk1 and Mk2? I looked carefully at the open 'V' sights on the one I saw at Kempton, which was a Mk2 but not sure if it had 'Magnum' on it. These sights were most impressive, unlike many cheaper plastic versions one sees elsewhere.

I don't claim deep expertise of these, but have never myself heard of a model marked "Magnum", nor of any change to the spot-welded front receiver mounts. Maybe others have?

I am pretty sure that the UK-spec models delivered the same power whether early or late.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I don't claim deep expertise of these, but have never myself heard of a model marked "Magnum", nor of any change to the spot-welded front receiver mounts. Maybe others have?

I am pretty sure that the UK-spec models delivered the same power whether early or late.
    There was a model with the word 'magnum' going across the chamber iirc,it came out around 83-85 I think and if I remember correctly there was rumour that it had a slightly wider chamber,other than that it was identical to the earlier mk2.
    In my experience there was no difference between the mk1 and 2 where power was concerned 9my mk1 and 2 produced around 10ftlbs...just)....I also think the 335s aimed at youth target shooters had no fixing holes for the rear sight as it came with a standard target sight.
    Smile!...today is the day you worried about yesterday. :-)

Supanova II Weymouth....http://www.supanova-charters.co.uk/

Thanks for that Weebster. Here is a link to the word 'Magnum' across the cylinder - taken from a foreign site from Google Images.

https://www.njuskalo.hr/zracno-oruzj...oglas-19595960

Presumably, therefore, there must have been changes of sorts; perhaps the wider chamber you have suggested, raised the power and possibly the word 'Magnum' was the third model or in effect the Mk3 version.

Geezer, I am not certain where the shearing/splitting occurred, due to the recoil, and can only recall hearing about this.

I understand these rifles could be worked upon to raise the power but care would have to be taken not to create the problems caused by raising the recoil with an unsympathetic spring.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    There was a recent thread on here about the Magnum, it was from a member who lives in Norway, and someone in Ohio USA also mentioned it. I think this 'boosted' 335 was sold in Europe but not in the UK. As far as I remember the Magnum mentioned was internally the same as the UK 335, but maybe had a fiercer spring.

And the 'Magnum' stamping made the cylinder out of true, so it was probably less powerful than the normal ones....

I don't know about a 'Magnum' version, but the MK2 that I sold to Andy on here, had a factory 'Weitschuss' sticker on the stock:

mPi18kQ.jpg

'Weitschuss' means 'Long Range'.

Literal translation of Weitchuss is Wide shot and probably refers to rifles made to exceed the German "F" rating so age/certification conditions to my mind. Here's one in the queue No F pentagon. Came from Germany.

My first 335 was a Magnum 177.
    Nice to shoot but not noticeably a powerhouse.

I have had three more since then with no Magnum markings.

None of them disintegrated.

The open sights on all were superb and the guns are accurate. I never added a scope.

Buy a good one in .177 for £180.
    Which is a lot less than FWB sporters tend to sell for.
    Last edited by gingernut; 27-03-2018 at 08:36 AM.

They are just a very pleasant rifle to shoot. Triggers are pretty nice too. Not particularly flashy, in fact a bit plain, but everything does what it should do. Power wise around the farmyard then they deliver ample and give the confidence to place an accurate shot. Nice weight and point well. A tune with a light lube keeps them smooth, and I think the power best left alone, left to what it naturally settles down to. They are certainly accurate. Best shot standing at moderate range, then a lot to love.
    I prefer the MKII.

Understated and under rated, those in the know hold them with respect. I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    There was a recent thread on here about the Magnum, it was from a member who lives in Norway, and someone in Ohio USA also mentioned it. I think this 'boosted' 335 was sold in Europe but not in the UK. As far as I remember the Magnum mentioned was internally the same as the UK 335, but maybe had a fiercer spring.

And the 'Magnum' stamping made the cylinder out of true, so it was probably less powerful than the normal ones....
    That would be me.. Mine is stamped "Magnum", but it also has the F-in-pentagon German 7,5joule freimark, and a relatively soft spring, possibly meant for the restricted German market.
    I have been trying several leather seals, a modern Diana 28mm seal, and have also sleeved the TP down to 3mm, all in an attempt to raise power with the original spring in the gun.
    Before the TP sleeve the gun was a bit slammy, with all seals tried.

I have not been able to go get stable velocities above 670-680 fps with 7.33grs JSBs, probably due to the weak spring. As time permits I will try other springs.

Thank you for all your thoughts on this. Weebster thought the 'Magnum' appeared from '83-'85, which suggests it was a particular version. I am thinking of seeking a 335 (in .22 which I generally prefer to .177) - for the positive reasons everyone gives on the site - and simply doing some research on the various models, in advance. I wonder if a collector can shed any definitive light on the 'Magnum' version.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    That would be me.. Mine is stamped "Magnum", but it also has the F-in-pentagon German 7,5joule freimark, and a relatively soft spring, possibly meant for the restricted German market.
    I have been trying several leather seals, a modern Diana 28mm seal, and have also sleeved the TP down to 3mm, all in an attempt to raise power with the original spring in the gun.
    Before the TP sleeve the gun was a bit slammy, with all seals tried.

I have not been able to go get stable velocities above 670-680 fps with 7.33grs JSBs, probably due to the weak spring. As time permits I will try other springs.
    Thanks for that, Evert. Your post coincidentally crossed with mine, before I could read yours. I wonder, therefore, if the word 'Magnum' was simply a term designed for the German market, where the power levels are about half the levels for the UK.

Let us know how you get on with your project!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

The magnum was sold in the uk as I purchased one from the owner of this site back in the days when mail order was the norm for air rifles and shotguns,sadly I never got to use it due to sudden circumstances and had to return it to js at a loss to me of £15...if I recall from a press article it may be that the chamber was 2mm wider so a bit more volume,whether the writer was correct in that I have no idea...as for the chamber being put out by the word 'magnum',the chamber is already out of shape due to the name stamp anyway,my mk2 is out and so was the mk1 that I owned.
    Last edited by weebster; 27-03-2018 at 08:35 PM.
    Smile!...today is the day you worried about yesterday. :-)

Supanova II Weymouth....http://www.supanova-charters.co.uk/