Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: As factory Springers go will the TX ever be beat ?

I'm firmly in the 'TX is best' camp. Tried Weihrauch's, Walther's and Diana's but none of them quite matched up.

Apart from polishing and refining things, I have two main gripes. The swept volume, and the trigger guard. If AA just put two holes in the trigger guard it would be so much easier to setup. I've drilled mine recently and fine tuned the trigger to the point where I just couldn't be bothered before

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    TBH the LGV is much better finished mechanically than Dianas and HWs. Not quite as pretty I grant you. But properly finished spring ends, no horrific burrs or galling, and even the right amount of the right kind of lube. About as easy to get inside as a TX too.
    I remain impressed with its off-the-shelf shootability.

Must confess I've no experience with the TX, must try one some day. I do need an underlever at some point.
    I've got several TX's and an LGV comp ultra. The LGV just gathers dust TBH

I've got a duster

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    A well set up TX shouldn't need that.
    I have to agree with this and add that an 'out of the box TX200 should not need it'. I have seen unfettled TXs that are very smooth to cock with no need to yank on the lever. They should all be like that. I am a great fan of them but think the fault must be due to manufacturing tolerances so it is luck whether or not you get a good one. I see no reason, however, why it cannot be eliminated at the production / assembly stage.
    Cheers, Phil

Blackrider is online now It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Re. The OP, if you mean will there ever be a new quality springer introduced superior to the TX then yes as technology moves on But whether of not the leading airgun manufacturers have the will or inclination to produce one is a completely different "fish kettle" !
    For some time now, they all appear to have their heads well and truely stuck in the "PCP Clouds" as far as flagship/quality air rifles go !
    “An airgun or two”………

The PCP world is where its all happening. Where the competition is and the expanding market place. Springs are a declining market though still well liked.
    AA has a great product and can hold their position at the higher end of that market, there isn't huge amount more that can be improved on, nothing they haven't already pretty much done. Even HW does little having a rifle to cover most springer demands; heck they still do their HW35!
    Maybe AA might try a lighter break barrel for the HW95/Omega/Sport market, but then that loss of weight brings a whole host of other issues..just less forgiving to shoot and keep it there. That all when PCP's deliver and less tricky, and when AA's springers already tac drive. Is the gamble worth that market? Probably not when there is such low cost competition. They have a few springers in the top 5 wish list "best" already.

As to what they could improve on the TX. Same rifle doing the same thing but a few pounds lighter. For the hunter. But lighter weight and a spring brings its own grief. Maybe a gasram?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Re. The OP, if you mean will there ever be a new quality springer introduced superior to the TX then yes as technology moves on But whether of not the leading airgun manufacturers have the will or inclination to produce one is a completely different "fish kettle" !
    For some time now, they all appear to have their heads well and truely stuck in the "PCP Clouds" as far as flagship/quality air rifles go !
    Nail on the head . how many mainstream manufacturers have brought out a new springer in recent years ? Its almost as though its not worth them spending money on it . In relation to PCP .Most of the time its subtle changes or using polymer instead of ali for parts and a different stock and its a NEW design .

When was the last technical advancement in spring airguns ? Gas Rams(Gas springs) instead of a helical spring ? if you used any other means of powering it ,it would not be a springer .

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    ...Maybe AA might try a lighter break barrel for the HW95/Omega/Sport market, but then that loss of weight brings a whole host of other issues..just less forgiving to shoot and keep it there. That all when PCP's deliver and less tricky, and when AA's springers already tac drive. Is the gamble worth that market? Probably not when there is such low cost competition. They have a few springers in the top 5 wish list "best" already.

As to what they could improve on the TX. Same rifle doing the same thing but a few pounds lighter. For the hunter. But lighter weight and a spring brings its own grief. Maybe a gasram?
    A lightweight sled-action break barrel would fill the gap nicely.
    Good deals with these members

The functional elegance of the TX vs. brutal functionality of the 97; parallels here between fairly evenly matched wartime rivals, Spitfire vs. Me109 or FW190.

TX's are super lookers, particularly walnut, although later extra highly polished, deeply blued ones play well with lighter shades of lacquered beech.

I've owned four TX's / HC's both cals / marks, all cocked easily, although owners do report issues here.

Good points prev. posts re: set back blades & trigger guards - clever mod to drill the guard. You could counter it only needs setting up once, and set back is personal preference - HW's are too forward.

Long stroke makes business sense for AA in light of overseas markets / parts inventory, despite enthusiasts' objections to it here, but Mk3 is easier & nicer to cock than Mk2, say some.

Some enthusiasts like lazier Mk3 firing cycle and most owners happy anyhow. Particularly as usually nicer to shoot pre-tune than any HW.

Maintenance / tuning / stroking, simplicity and ease is quite unsurpassed. Plus British designed and built (barrel & stock excepted). The ABT is a sound design feature.

TX for me. In fact I've given my 97KT Blackline .22" (fine gun) to a mate for its left handed utility, and instead got a super TX Mk3 .177" full lgth walnut (2007 made).

To answer orig Q: I don't think the TX can be much improved upon as a viable production model.
    Last edited by Roundshot; 28-03-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    MY factory TX had the loosest guide I have ever seen and shot terrible from factory!

Shoots loverly now with proper fitting internals and no weight.
    Master Debater

I'd improve the TX by putting it in a sledge, thus making it recoilless. Maybe I'd change the name to something like TX200 Semi Recoilless (or maybe SR for short) it would be the finest spring gun ever known to man...

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    A lightweight sled-action break barrel would fill the gap nicely.
    That had me thinking too. Would be a premium addition to their line and fill a gap. Done well that would keep to their "if you want the best" then AA delivers rifles to cherish. Still think it wouldn't be done as a break barrel.

Get a Relum Tornado.......Silky smooth. !!!

An adjustable stock option at time of purchase along the lines of ftp/ultimate sporter style would help it evolve in my personal opinion.

Some good points made. How about these upgrades for the MK4:

-adjustable stock option, cheek and butt pad
    - new trigger guard
    -better rubber bumper for the underlever
    -even lighter top hat for UK market

Can't see a reason that wouldnt be possible. And I'll accept the MK3 stroke as it makes business sense