Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Right, need to get my head around the concept of everything being measured by volume instead of weight! Am I right in assuming everything in the black powder world is measured by volume instead of weighing the powder out?

Is there any advantage to using semolina instead of a wad? Except it's probably cheaper.

I've found a chart online for the conversion. So in absence of a black powder measure I'll use my Lee dipper set.

I'll be buying either Triple 7 or Pyrodex this weekend. Which one would be the best to go for?

Cheers
Greg
BP loads (powder and shot) are generally specified by weight - grains or drachms. BP loads are generally dispensed by volume although many people weigh them, particularly when competing. This is just like Nitro loads - spec in weight, dispense (mostly) with a volumetric dispenser.

I use a Lee Perfect Powder measure for dispensing BP (and semolina) into vials. Nothing wrong with dippers but don't do it on the range. A lot of people use a cut down cartridge case as a dipper once they have settled on a particular load.

Wads are comparatively expensive but the main advantage of Semolina is that it is infinitely variable whereas wads come in fixed sizes. When in search of the magic load it makes putting a bit more or less BP and compensating with a bit less or more Semolina much easier.

Personally not a fan of either - BP all the way for me. Explosive Licence is pretty much a rubber stamp job if you have M/L on your ticket and it's free as well. Of course you cannot use BP on indoor ranges though.