Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Old Army propellant alternatives

Ruger Old Army propellant alternatives

This is my first post in this section!

I'm sorry if this has been covered to death in the past but I can't find any recent posts on the topic.

I have a Ruger Old Army .45 which I'd like to get around to using. I don't have an explosives licence so I'll be needing an alternative propellant to black powder. Pyrodex & Triple 7 are looking like my options, unless anyone can offer any more?

There's a few options with Pyrodex, and Triple 7 has an FFG & FFFG configuration (size of the granules?) so I was just wondering from peoples experiences what works well?..and in what quantities?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers
    Greg

Standard target load at my club for the ROA is 21grain (by volume) of Tripple 7 FFFG and a 1cc filler of semolina.
    Only trick to loading is use a heaped measure for coarse semolina or a level measure for the super fine stuff as it doesn't compress well.

Pyrodex P - the P stands for Pistol, which is a bit of a no-brainer - loads around 20 - 30gr by volume are good. Use wads or CoW to bring the ball to the chamber mouth. Mine likes the 26gr spout. Generally, Pyrodex P loads are 10% LESS than the equivalent FFFg BP for equal oomph.

Triple 7 - the triple 7 stands for the flash-off temperature in F - needs 15% less than an equally-oomphish BP load.

Note that while Pyrodex P will stand a little compression, T7 does not not. Not that it matters much in such an over-engineered piece as the ROA, but the difference is easily discernible in the hand.

Regardless of what you may have heard, BOTH require cleanup ASAP after shooting - even better if can can make a start at the range.

There are other subs, but I don't think they are sold over here. In any case, they are crap.

Good luck.

tac

I'd agree with both of those posts. I use 21 gr Triple 7 and a wad pinched out of an old Pilates mat!
    Steve

Thanks for the replies guys. Right, need to get my head around the concept of everything being measured by volume instead of weight! Am I right in assuming everything in the black powder world is measured by volume instead of weighing the powder out?

Is there any advantage to using semolina instead of a wad? Except it's probably cheaper.

I've found a chart online for the conversion. So in absence of a black powder measure I'll use my Lee dipper set.

I'll be buying either Triple 7 or Pyrodex this weekend. Which one would be the best to go for?

Cheers
    Greg

Semolina or Wad?? Ask 4 of us and you'll get 6 different answers! everyone has their favourite approach so it's really whatever works for you.

Same with the Triple 7 question. I use 777 because I find it less corrosive and dead easy to clean. Tac is right that 777 is more fussy about compression but I've never found it a problem.
    Someone will be along in a minute to disagree entirely
    S

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. Right, need to get my head around the concept of everything being measured by volume instead of weight! Am I right in assuming everything in the black powder world is measured by volume instead of weighing the powder out?

Is there any advantage to using semolina instead of a wad? Except it's probably cheaper.

I've found a chart online for the conversion. So in absence of a black powder measure I'll use my Lee dipper set.

I'll be buying either Triple 7 or Pyrodex this weekend. Which one would be the best to go for?

Cheers
    Greg
    BP loads (powder and shot) are generally specified by weight - grains or drachms. BP loads are generally dispensed by volume although many people weigh them, particularly when competing. This is just like Nitro loads - spec in weight, dispense (mostly) with a volumetric dispenser.

I use a Lee Perfect Powder measure for dispensing BP (and semolina) into vials. Nothing wrong with dippers but don't do it on the range. A lot of people use a cut down cartridge case as a dipper once they have settled on a particular load.

Wads are comparatively expensive but the main advantage of Semolina is that it is infinitely variable whereas wads come in fixed sizes. When in search of the magic load it makes putting a bit more or less BP and compensating with a bit less or more Semolina much easier.

Personally not a fan of either - BP all the way for me. Explosive Licence is pretty much a rubber stamp job if you have M/L on your ticket and it's free as well. Of course you cannot use BP on indoor ranges though.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

No need to do volume

No need to do by volume for Pyrodex. Just try 20g measure as per BP,then work up I use 25g in a single 45 shot works fine.
    Forget BP As you have nothing to compare with,it's how the gun shoots, I tend to think nice crisp hole in the target is the answer, ragged cut is a sign of not enough.

If you're shooting on an indoor range be sure to check what they allow.
    My club will not allow Pyrodex or BP due to the extra smoke over Tripple 7.

We're also told to use Semolina for filler, though having not used anything else I'm not sure of the advantages of each. Semolina is so cheap and as series2a says it's variable so seems pretty perfect to me.

Thanks again for the replies guys, I'm learning things here so it's all appreciated.

If I start with a low charge, 20gr say, will I not have to put more semolina in to make up the space?

I'll be using it inside & outside, but the indoor club doesn't restrict the use of BP. They have a pretty good extraction system so the smoke doesn't hang around long.

Cheers
    Greg

IMO no semolina

Thanks again for the replies guys, I'm learning things here so it's all appreciated.

If I start with a low charge, 20gr say, will I not have to put more semolina in to make up the space?

I'll be using it inside & outside, but the indoor club doesn't restrict the use of BP. They have a pretty good extraction system so the smoke doesn't hang around long.

Cheers
    Greg
    Just use powder wad ball that should fill the cylinder leaving the ball flush with the end.Semolina would be a pain indoors causing loads of unnecessary mess.

Not necessarily! Again it's personal preference. Some argue that seating the ball so that it's flush with the front of the cylinder is very important - others will say 'b*l*ocks'!
    I realise that this is little help in giving you guidance but my advice is try things and see what works for you.
    S

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by sclg View Post
    Not necessarily! Again it's personal preference. Some argue that seating the ball so that it's flush with the front of the cylinder is very important - others will say 'b*l*ocks'!
    I realise that this is little help in giving you guidance but my advice is try things and see what works for you.
    S
    Yep he's right it's all about trial and error

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by sclg View Post
    S

Agree - this is commonly taught but in my experience not always gives the best result. The joy of muzzle loading is the almost everlasting hunt for the best combination of components and procedures.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Well you may not have 777 or Pyrodex as an option for long.

Are they going to still be imported when the new EU import restrictions hit lots of other American made powders this Summer ?

I'm not aware of any non-American made blackpowder substitute.