Thread: Ruger Old Army propellant alternatives

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    If I start with a low charge, 20gr say, will I not have to put more semolina in to make up the space?
    Not necessarily! Again it's personal preference. Some argue that seating the ball so that it's flush with the front of the cylinder is very important - others will say 'b*l*ocks'!
    I realise that this is little help in giving you guidance but my advice is try things and see what works for you.
    S

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by sclg View Post
    Not necessarily! Again it's personal preference. Some argue that seating the ball so that it's flush with the front of the cylinder is very important - others will say 'b*l*ocks'!
    I realise that this is little help in giving you guidance but my advice is try things and see what works for you.
    S
    Yep he's right it's all about trial and error

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by sclg View Post
    S

Agree - this is commonly taught but in my experience not always gives the best result. The joy of muzzle loading is the almost everlasting hunt for the best combination of components and procedures.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Well you may not have 777 or Pyrodex as an option for long.

Are they going to still be imported when the new EU import restrictions hit lots of other American made powders this Summer ?

I'm not aware of any non-American made blackpowder substitute.

Shouldn't be a problem. I found the article below a month or two ago but I'm afraid I can't remember where I got it.
    Steve

Those that are banned for import as of the middle of next year are:

Thales / ADI Mulwala NSW Australia manufactured:
    IMR Trail Boss + 8208 XBR
    Hodgdon H4198, H322, H. Benchmark, H4895, H. VarGet, H4350, H4831/4831sc, H1000, H. Retumbo, H50BMG

Ball powders manufactured by general Dynamics St. Marks Florida:
    Hodgdon H110, H335, H380, H. BL-C(2), H414, US869, Hybrid 100V, H. SuperFORMANCE; H. LeverEVOLUTION
    Winchester 748, 760

IMR powders manufactured by General Dynamics Canada, Valleyfield, Quebec Province
    IMR 4227, 4198, 3031, 4064, 4895, 4320, 4350, 4831, 7828/7828ssc

Unaffected and remaining are:

Hodgdon L'il Gun and maybe with luck CFE223 (not yet CE certified under the new regulations)
    Some Hodgdon shotgun / pistol grades - 700X, 800X, Clays, International, Universal
    Hodgdon Pyrodex and other black powder substitutes

New IMR pistol / revolver powders - Red, Target, Green, Unequal, Blue

New IMR 'Enduron' Rifle powders - IMR-4166 (4895/VarGet alternative); IMR-4451 (4350 alternative); IMR-4955 (4831 alternative); IMR-7977 (7828/H1000/Retumbo alternative, also H50BMG / US869 for some applications)

IMR-4166/4451/7977 are here now - and are very good products indeed - 4955 has yet to arrive

Plus everything from:

Alliant ATK in the Reloder rifle powder series (they are made either by Bofors or Nitrochemie in Europe)
    Can't comment on Alliant pistol grades such as Unique - so a question mark there, but they have been reformulated in recent years.

Bofors (Some Alliant and all Norma grades)

Explosia a.s., Czech Republic - Lovex brand extruded and ball powders (previously branded Accurate Arms in the UK)

Nitrochemie Wimmins a.g., Switzerland - Reload Swiss brand powders

PB Clermont, Belgium (part of Eurenco Group) - Ramshot ball powders.

SNPE (various, part of the Eurenco Group) - Vectan extruded (Tu) and ball (SP) powders

Vihtavuori (part of Nammo) - all Vihtavuori 300, 100, and 500 series extruded powders

[QUOTE=sclg;7474737]Shouldn't be a problem. I found the article below a month or two ago but I'm afraid I can't remember where I got it.
    Steve

Those that are banned for import as of the middle of next year are: etc....

Many thanks for that -I'll be putting on our club notice boards.

tac