Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ash as a gunstock

Ash as a gunstock

Hi All,

I am just wandering if ash is a wood that lends itself to being turned in to a rifle stock?

the main things I am thinking about are its structural integrity and weight. will it feel right? weigh is surely something i can overcome with lead balancing though right?

EDIT: I just had an extra thought, what would be the best material to use for the adjustable cheek posts and what would be a good mechanism for locking that in place?
    Last edited by Roooss; 28-03-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Extra thoughts...

It's not known as a timber resistant to outdoor use so bear that in mind.

The figuring can be interesting; the colour is quite light, so I would choose light alloy bushes for your mechanism, with stainless steel riser pins. Brass is in my view the wrong colour and of course is heavy, and ash is heavy enough.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It's not known as a timber resistant to outdoor use so bear that in mind.

The figuring can be interesting; the colour is quite light, so I would choose light alloy bushes for your mechanism, with stainless steel riser pins. Brass is in my view the wrong colour and of course is heavy, and ash is heavy enough.
    Thanks for the reply,

So a typical sealer and oil/wax finish wouldn't be right for Ash and the outside world? I definitely agree with using stainless steel fixtures on a light stock when keeping the natural light ash colour.

I'm sure there was a thread some years ago about a gent considering the same on here?
    The OAKS
    SIHFT WINNERS 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016

Quote Originally Posted by si7777777 View Post
    I'm sure there was a thread some years ago about a gent considering the same on here?
    I just spent a while doing some searching on here. Couldn't find any relevant posts.

Ash will stick outdoors, but does split easily. I used to make the old fashioned riven sheep hurdles, and course these were all made from coppice Ash. Once dried it will take some abuse, as i used a beadle (mallet) made of a lump of Ash with a thick Hazel rod handle to smack the parts together.

I've just tried looking as well but the word ash is too small for searching and as soon as you put in "stock" it adds all those posts!
    The OAKS
    SIHFT WINNERS 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016

Wasn't ash used as a frame on to which alloy body panels were attached on old cars such as the Morgan and Morris traveller? In which case I am sure it can be made pretty weather resistant.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Some one had a rapid stock made of ash looked great on the rapid forums but was apparently a pig to work with up to walnut if a member on there might be worth searching or they may spot this and come forward pretty sure markyboy as done a ash rapid mfr stock too

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Wasn't ash used as a frame on to which alloy body panels were attached on old cars such as the Morgan and Morris traveller? In which case I am sure it can be made pretty weather resistant.
    One of the most useful properties of ash is that it is highly resistant to shock which is why it was used for car bodies, cartwheel spokes, tent pegs and hurley sticks, but it is one of the least naturally durable timbers.

When you consider the hours needed to make a stock its always worth the extra cost of figured walnut.

Unless you want Ash for a special reason go with decent walnut.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Ash is used for all sorts of tool handles. I doubt if the occasional wetting it would get as a gun stock would be any worse than a spade, fork or shovel handle getting wet occasionally. Whether or not it can be worked or shaped into a stock I know not, but you could take some comfort from the fact that if it doesn't work out ash is one of the best woods to burn as firewood!

Quote Originally Posted by si7777777 View Post
    I've just tried looking as well but the word ash is too small for searching and as soon as you put in "stock" it adds all those posts!
    Use quotes when searching I.e. "Ash stock" that way it searches the whole string not just individual words.

This returned a few previous posts that may be useful:
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ight=Ash+stock

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Doesn't it all come down to post seasoning "stability" in the end, beech, walnut being the best coupled with lightness along with laminated birch ?
    I think there are timbers which are possibly more stable once worked such as ebony and jacaranda but although beautiful are far too heavy to be used as a rifle stock.
    “An airgun or two”………

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by Shedder View Post
    Ash is used for all sorts of tool handles. I doubt if the occasional wetting it would get as a gun stock would be any worse than a spade, fork or shovel handle getting wet occasionally. Whether or not it can be worked or shaped into a stock I know not, but you could take some comfort from the fact that if it doesn't work out ash is one of the best woods to burn as firewood!
    Both informative and funny
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. Crosman Ratcher 2250XL .22 AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177