Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ash as a gunstock

Question

Hi all

I recently acquired an old Haenel mod1 that has a strange stock, I've no idea what the wood is but it's lurvely!!

It seems to have grain characteristics of Oak that's been dyed but have not idea in reality!

Close up the zig-zaggy lines similar to Oak can be seen, Anyone any idea what it is??

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I have heard of elm being used for stocks could it be elm?
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    I have heard of elm being used for stocks could it be elm?

It's possible, I don't really know what the grain of Elm is like!, I'll do a Google search, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi all

I recently acquired an old Haenel mod1 that has a strange stock, I've no idea what the wood is but it's lurvely!!

It seems to have grain characteristics of Oak that's been dyed but have not idea in reality!

Close up the zig-zaggy lines similar to Oak can be seen, Anyone any idea what it is??

Cheers, John

I just showed these images to the old man, He seems to believe this is actually ash. Says you can tell by difference in grain patterns showing winter and summer growth....

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Roooss View Post
    I just showed these images to the old man, He seems to believe this is actually ash. Says you can tell by difference in grain patterns showing winter and summer growth....
    I think your dad has hit the nail on the head Roooss!!

Thell him thanks

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi all

Cheers, John
    If not ash, it looks very similar to the American walnut stocks fitted to many vintage Crosman rifles.

Cheers Lawrie.

ash timber

HI, Dont be wory about useing ash very strong and well underated , I used to make the carts what you see going to appleby fair years ago , ash was used becorse it very strone and the long grain make it harder to brake and can take a bit of a shock ,good look . ATB BOB.

Quote Originally Posted by fife View Post
    HI, Dont be wory about useing ash very strong and well underated , I used to make the carts what you see going to appleby fair years ago , ash was used becorse it very strone and the long grain make it harder to brake and can take a bit of a shock ,good look . ATB BOB.
    I agree, also the majority of snooker cues are made of ash and they get quite a shock applied to them when playing a power shot, I have made a few snooker cues, and still use one I made years ago,it still serves me well.
    Lawrie.