Thread: Webley Osprey

Smile Webley Osprey

I have recently pulled out my Webley Osprey. The one I 'inherited' from my son after he left it under his house in a canvas sleeve.
    It is still the worse for wear, especially the barrel. No self healing in the interim years since 2012.
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?617242-Osprey
    This barrel will require removal for machining to remove all corrosion; too deep to sand.
    While it is down, are there any magic formula that will make this Webley a smooth shooter with some oomph? Not excessive, just solid performance.
    When it was last fired the pellet could be tracked by sight and possibly beaten to the target by an able athlete .
    Last edited by slow_runner; 29-03-2018 at 07:50 AM.

I think its either way; ór some oomph ór smooth shooter. If you want max performance out of it, it wont be a smooth shooter.
    I had my Ospreys Supertargets tuned for smooth shooting. I only shoot short range (6yrd) so dont need power. As close to 7.5J was enough.
    Allthough even at that power, theyre not as smooth as an mk3 ST or Walther LG55. I think because of the taploader system.
    A longer spring with thinner thread was used in mine. And a spring guide was added.
    Ospreys arent really made for high power anyway.
    ATB,
    yana

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    I think its either way; ór some oomph ór smooth shooter. If you want max performance out of it, it wont be a smooth shooter.
    I had my Ospreys Supertargets tuned for smooth shooting. I only shoot short range (6yrd) so dont need power. As close to 7.5J was enough.
    Allthough even at that power, theyre not as smooth as an mk3 ST or Walther LG55. I think because of the taploader system.
    A longer spring with thinner thread was used in mine. And a spring guide was added.
    Ospreys arent really made for high power anyway.
    If it is an either or option, then smooth is better.
    The range across the shed is about 7m and nearer to 11m through the dining area, down the hallway and across the shed. 11m for the outside too; any further and it risks alerting the neighbours.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Turn up a spring guide for it, and/or sleeve the inside of the piston. Also, replace one of the piston rings with an appropriately sized O ring. Use LT2 grease on the mainspring and piston skirt. RWS Hobby or Superdomes will probably give best accuracy.
    That also works for the Hawk MkII and III rifles as well.
    Last edited by harry mac; 29-03-2018 at 11:20 AM.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    While it is down, are there any magic formula that will make this Webley a smooth shooter with some oomph? Not excessive, just solid performance.
    I tried a lot of stuff with one of mine, ended up with the transfer port sleeved down to 2.5mm's, and the piston front turned down for a 25mm HW30 seal. Afeter these changes the gun became more quiet, less slammy, and has a bit more power.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    I tried a lot of stuff with one of mine, ended up with the transfer port sleeved down to 2.5mm's, and the piston front turned down for a 25mm HW30 seal. Afeter these changes the gun became more quiet, less slammy, and has a bit more power.
    Agree with the piston seal mod. A Tracker piston is easier to modify if you can find one, less material to remove from the front end. Think the last one I did used an early HW77 seal, not sure if that was the same as the HW30 one.

For accuracy getting proper tap alignment is key.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    If it is an either or option, then smooth is better.
    The range across the shed is about 7m and nearer to 11m through the dining area, down the hallway and across the shed. 11m for the outside too; any further and it risks alerting the neighbours.
    For 11m max you dont need more than 7.5J. I used to plink upto 25m with 7.5J. Awesome accuracy (not with the osprey). So Id indeed focus on smooth.
    Tap alignment indeed ís key for accuracy!
    ATB,
    yana

Thumbs up

I'm sure I can recall someone saying that fitting a Tracker piston makes a world of difference to the Osprey, Not sure where I read it though!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I'm sure I tried a Tracker piston and it was very tight, not just the washer but the actual piston was just a shade bigger. I'll see if I can drag one out and measure it. Personally I have found that the transfer port is too big for a synthetic washer and will give a slammy action with no extra power worth talking about. But a leather washer with a standard spring makes an Osprey into a really nice shooter.