Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Subsonic 7x57 :-)

On the stability thing, online bullet stability calculators work. If you are having real problems with stability, try a shorter bullet or shooting the bullet with the heavy end forwards (not fmjs with open bases!).

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    funny I got some boxes of 275 rigby brass given and when opened they where full of
    Winchester 7mm Mauser head-stamped brass,
    as for sub load ,
    170gr GAS CHECKED LEAD BULLET, sized .285,
    14 GR UNIQUE,
    SPOT ON 100 YARDS,
    T,
    Sir, where do you obtain your 7mm bullets? My 1897 carbine likes the 200gr RN FJM, but they are now unobtainable, and since the bore is .285" and not the usual .284", modern spitzer-shaped bullets come out of it in an apparently random spread, just like a garden hose.

tac

7mm

HI TAC,
    I make my own, NOE mould,
    some times have a job with gas checks though,
    been using 7.62 ali ones which crimp down easily in the lube-sizer,
    T

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    HI TAC, I make my own, NOE mould, some times have a job with gas checks though, been using 7.62 ali ones which crimp down easily in the lube-sizer, T
    Right, thanks. About five years ago, visiting some friends in Talent OR, I was given about 100 original nickel-jacketed 200gr RN bullets pulled from some corroded 1901 DWM ammunition. I shot a few, to see how they went [VERY well] and kept the rest, JIC. My cavalry carbine was taken off a Boer prisoner by troopers from the New South Wales Mounted Infantry on May 10th 1901, on the stoep of the Korannasberg farmhouse in Natal Province. Who knows, maybe the were shooting that headstamp ammunition at the Aussies? Most carbines, like mine, are .285 or even .286", and the modern bullet just carooms down the little barrel. The only bullets I could get at one time were soft-point, and prohibited for me, and then they disappeared off the market, leaving me without anything meaningful to shoot.

tac

I would think there quite rare now

@Tall - just received my package from you in the morning mail - very many thanks to you, Sir. See your PM.

Best.

tac