Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10m match air rifle for lefty beginners on a budget- advice please!

10m match air rifle for lefty beginners on a budget- advice please!

Hi all
    I'm getting on well with my LP400 pistol -frustrating as it can be, and currently in the dip after the plateau of progress, if you know what I mean! Anyway, I'm toying with the idea of doing 10m rifle too to make club night a bit more interesting, but I'm a lefty and I don't want to spend a lot of cash.
    Very few rifles come up on here or the gun* site etc, so I want to be forewarned to become forearmed! What are your suggestions to keep an eye out for and what would a reasonable price be? I'm thinking more in the £300-400 range than the £800 range if that helps. It would need to be good to go, I wouldn't mind if it was a bit scrappy visually but I wouldn't want something I could blame too much, if you know what I mean!
    Look forward to your thoughts
    Lundy
    Steyr Evo 10, Anschutz 8001, BSA Scorpion SE, BSA light Pattern, HW77k, HW30s, AA TX200, HW45 Blackstar, HW40, Walther CP88, Webley Premier E, TBC!

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I got a Gunpower edge last year for around that money. I fitted baffles to the shroud and put bearings on the hammer which has improved it no end. It is completely adjustable for either hand and shoots as well as anything else I've tried.
    I have read lots of negative things about this gun, (mainly from greybeards. It's not walnutty enough and is in colour, not good old fashioned black and white) but it doesn't seem to be from anyone who's tried one. The three people I know with them love them.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

What yr looking for? Spring/co2/ssp/pcp?
    ATB,
    yana

I don't really mind! I have a tank for the pistol, and I guess I'd prefer not to have CO2 for no reason other than it's a tank I don't have /an ongoing cost. As far a ssp, spring or PCP, I'm open to ideas if it's cheap, accurate and not too fussy. Obviously in this price range I'm guessing something almost vintage and not too popular, but with so few coming up , I'm not sure "unpopular" is appropriate!
    Steyr Evo 10, Anschutz 8001, BSA Scorpion SE, BSA light Pattern, HW77k, HW30s, AA TX200, HW45 Blackstar, HW40, Walther CP88, Webley Premier E, TBC!

Have you thought of the air arms S200 target version ? Ambidextrous and not too far from your price range.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by perlin View Post
    Have you thought of the air arms S200 target version ? Ambidextrous and not too far from your price range.
    John
    Good suggestion - we have one of these in our club and it shoots very well.

It also has the advantage of being up to date so spare parts and service should not be a problem either!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

If you can find left handed versions, fwb 300 and original 65/66/75 can be had in your budget. I would take one of these over a lower price modern PCP any day

HW30 S, the one with the Rekord trigger and inter changeable foresight, plus Willaims Sports peep sight (ex Evil Bay). Ambi stock. Light. Cheap (- £250, new, for the Full Monty).

This is the deluxe sports peep sight with the windage knobs.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thanks for the suggestions!

Gents
    Many thanks for your thoughts on this as well as a couple of emails and pms. It is clear that lefties are quite rare and don't come up very often!
    My clubs rifle selection is small -2 fwb universals, an S200 and a RH vintage excl sights. I'm not sure of the FWB model, they are good but a little light. The S200 was even worse for me and I just didn't get on with it. . A club member brought in a walnut stocked 8001 which is lovely to shoot but a bit over budget. The problem with the club models is adjusting them to work for me. Good suggestion on the HW30 but my daughter has one, and not being small of frame, it's just way too small and light for me to think about putting a diopter on it. On balance I have come to the conclusion that I'm better off putting up with the club rifles to save up a bit more and wait for something like a good quality PCp, so I will give the search a slight pause then start looking out for something like a Walther LG300/ Feinwerkbau 700, or maybe the Anschutz at the club will still be available. If I get one and ultimately decide it's not for me, it should be fairly easy to sell it on.
    Thanks again for the suggestions
    Happy shooting!

Having returned to 10m air pistol, after a 35 year gap! I completely ‘get’ the dip your going through as experiencing this myself at the moment, only consolation is that we all go through it from time to time.

I’m also a ‘lefty’ and have been thinking about 10m air rifle as a break from pistol, have you looked at the Hammerli AR20? Price seems reasonably and it’s manufactured by Walther (Hammerli is Walther’s budget brand) I haven’t shot one but it is ambidextrous and has a lot of adjustments. It can also take diopter sights or a scope.

Same and not the same!

Discocom-same-35years for me too-the world has changed from me envying the "old" guy at the club who shot next to me with the Original 10 because all I could afford after selling my rifle was a 6g. ( good pistol though!). Every time I seem to break through a problem and my scores increase, I seem to go backwards immmediately. Still, if it was easy, it wouldn't be worth it.
    Not the same-I'm a righty with a left eye, so I shoot pistol rightie and rifle leftie-feel confusing but it works-I can't see toffee with my right eye but right handed, so with a twist on the grip I can shoot rightie leftie!
    Not really thought about your suggestion-will have a look.
    Lundy

Keep an eye on this website... lots of goodies turn up.. spares too!

http://www.druckluftwaffenonline.de

Navigate to waffen > langwaffen
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Keep an eye on this website... lots of goodies turn up.. spares too!

http://www.druckluftwaffenonline.de

Navigate to waffen > langwaffen
    Link has malware

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    HW30 S, the one with the Rekord trigger and inter changeable foresight, plus Willaims Sports peep sight (ex Evil Bay). Ambi stock. Light. Cheap (- £250, new, for the Full Monty).

This is the deluxe sports peep sight with the windage knobs.

These are about the same size as a Webley mk3 Supertarget and do shoot really well!
    Last edited by zooma; 11-05-2018 at 05:30 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
    Discocom-same-35years for me too-the world has changed from me envying the "old" guy at the club who shot next to me with the Original 10 because all I could afford after selling my rifle was a 6g. ( good pistol though!). Every time I seem to break through a problem and my scores increase, I seem to go backwards immmediately. Still, if it was easy, it wouldn't be worth it.
    Not the same-I'm a righty with a left eye, so I shoot pistol rightie and rifle leftie-feel confusing but it works-I can't see toffee with my right eye but right handed, so with a twist on the grip I can shoot rightie leftie!
    Not really thought about your suggestion-will have a look.
    Lundy
    FYI - I got to try a Hammerli AR20 this eve at 10m, really nice rifle to shoot and you can rotate the grip