Thread: 'open mechanism' butt reservoir rifle... any idea which one?

'open mechanism' butt reservoir rifle... any idea which one?

spotted in forthcoming... what a weirdo. I rather like the open mechanism simply because it is open (rather than hidden behind an access plate), and presumably missing some sort of leather 'sleeve' over the reservoir(s)?

Unless its the grandad forerunner of the 'Day of the Jackal' from the 19th Century?

Nice pics - but can't really work out where/how it loads - unless a 'break action' perhaps. And it also seems to have a slide tube on the side to retain a rod, but just the one visible. Now that is what i would call a project!

Surely you've got one in the archive Danny?

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...a-a8a800f24e8c

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    spotted in forthcoming... what a weirdo. I rather like the open mechanism simply because it is open (rather than hidden behind an access plate), and presumably missing some sort of leather 'sleeve' over the reservoir(s)?

Unless its the grandad forerunner of the 'Day of the Jackal' from the 19th Century?

Nice pics - but can't really work out where/how it loads - unless a 'break action' perhaps. And it also seems to have a slide tube on the side to retain a rod, but just the one visible. Now that is what i would call a project!

Surely you've got one in the archive Danny?

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...a-a8a800f24e8c
    Looks like a crude one of these?

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

There is a small tube on the barrel that may be have held a ram rod for loading from the muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by mel h View Post
    There is a small tube on the barrel that may be have held a ram rod for loading from the muzzle.
    Yup. Spotted that. Logically (though i can't see evidence of one) I would have perhaps expected another nearer the end of the barrel to stop the rod flopping about? Possibly, the other end fitted into the 'shroud' which would have been over the butt?

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

My faith in you, Danny, is (as always) rewarded!

Did you see the other example in the same sale?
    Barrel with rod underneath, but the rod is only a 'locking' device to secure the barrel, along with the small metal slide in the forend. Definitely not a muzzle loader as has a loading 'tap' port on the top of the block, and remarkably similar approach to the reservoir - though clearly a more 'sophisticated' design and level of finish. Apart from the ugly brazing and 'shrader' valve underneath the butt tank.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...f-a8a800f24e8c

Do you have an ID on this one as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

Very similar: hammer, shape of 'block', (i think there is that 2nd 'lever' on the other side of the hammer shown in your archive), the external springs, trigger mechanism, etc. But does this suggest the same [gulp] date as the info supplied from the Buffalo Bill Centre?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    you'd be brave to charge that up...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

My faith in you, Danny, is (as always) rewarded!

Did you see the other example in the same sale?
    Barrel with rod underneath, but the rod is only a 'locking' device to secure the barrel, along with the small metal slide in the forend. Definitely not a muzzle loader as has a loading 'tap' port on the top of the block, and remarkably similar approach to the reservoir - though clearly a more 'sophisticated' design and level of finish. Apart from the ugly brazing and 'shrader' valve underneath the butt tank.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...f-a8a800f24e8c

Do you have an ID on this one as well?
    As you say, that looks like a more sophisticated tap loader, like this one.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Many thanks Danny - you are better than Google for this sort of thing.

Now those odd two part butts make sense, just picture them covered in leather/sharkskin and in one piece. Altogether more 'sophisticated'.

Carl

Many thanks Danny - you are better than Google for this sort of thing.
    Thanks Richard. That's about as high an accolade as you can get these days.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Many of the old outside-lock guns apparently were loaded by unscrewing the barrel and loading at the breech, as they have no sign of an on-board ramrod. Though it's possible the shooter carried a separate ramrod, that would be somewhat awkward.

Don R.