Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eley Ventus & Other 'Match' Pellets : Estimation of Pellet Weight Variance

Eley Ventus & Other 'Match' Pellets : Estimation of Pellet Weight Variance

Hello to All,

Following recent threads, I thought I would dig out some of the stats. I had gathered WRT weights of various pellets; Compliant with the Law Of Sod, I couldn't find them

I arranged the loan of a four (4) decimal place lab. balance (Sartorius M-Power AZ124), and gathered the below informations.

One hundred (100) pellets were selected at random from each 'tin', and weighed.

(RSD = relative standard deviation = 100*standard deviation/average weight)

The results, are I think, quite interesting.

The Eley Ventus have an exceptionally low variance in weight - I will be very surprised if the new Eley Tenex pellets can improve on them !

The RWS R10 Pistol & Qiang Yuan Match, also have very low variance.

For some reason, I can't seem to insert images in the Target/Competition Shooting area - you can in other sections ????

Have fun & a good Easter

Best regards

Russ

Summary

Pellet RSD/% Min/gr. Max/gr. Mean/gr.
    Eley Ventus 0.09 8.38 8.42 8.40
    RWS R10 Pistol 0.17 6.96 7.02 6.99
    Qiang Yuan Match 0.18 7.80 7.89 7.86
    H&N Finale Rifle 0.37 7.90 8.07 7.99
    Qiang Yuan Olympic (Old) 0.37 7.81 8.02 7.93
    Eley Match 0.40 8.34 8.52 8.42
    RWS R10 Rifle 0.49 8.05 8.31 8.17
    H&N Finale Pistol 0.50 7.21 7.44 7.33
    JSB Orange 0.69 7.91 8.15 8.03
    JSB Green 0.74 7.18 7.46 7.33
    JSB Blue 0.76 8.11 8.41 8.27
    Geco 0.79 7.07 7.33 7.19
    RWS Hobby 1.07 6.98 7.15 7.11

https://i.imgur.com/AAygpi9.jpg

Further informations

https://i.imgur.com/XpeCVdA.jpg
    Last edited by PhatMan; 01-04-2018 at 09:22 AM.

Thanks for posting your findings Russ, that's all very interesting.

It would also be interesting to see how those variations in weight effect muzzle velocity and accuracy.

I use RWS Meisterkugeln 4.49mm 7.0grn pellets in my Steyr LP10 and have set the MV to 525fps as per recommendations. I haven't weighed any batches, and my shooting probably isn't good enough to see any difference with these and most of the other top brands

However, looking at your results, I will give the RWS R10's a go and compare them with the RWS Meisterkugeln over the chrono for variations in muzzle velocity.

As a footnote, many years ago I conducted some accuracy tests with my Original 75 and I found that H&N Hi-Speed consistently produced the tightest groups. Muzzle velocity with those pellets was an average of 606fps.
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Not as scientific, but I recently bought a tin of Meisterkugeln 4.50mm 7.0 grain pellets to try. I happened to be doing some rested sighting with my FWB 65, so gave them a go. The spread was just within the 9 ring at 10m which I thought must be down to the variability of my holding the pistol on the rest, but when I tried some 4.49mm R10's, the group was much tighter. Impossible to know whether it was down to the weight variation or the different diameter...
    Next time I have the opportunity, I will repeat the experiment with my FWB P34, and maybe try some of the other pellets in my bag.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Interesting. You might wanna try JSB S100 too. Thats their top of the line pellet.
    Unfortunately, less weight variance doesnt say much about their realtime performance. They may not group well at all in certain guns and vv
    ATB,
    yana

Yana,

I have weighed the JSB Premium Match Light Weight, the JSB Exact Premium, and JSB Exact Express Premium.

JSB boldly state on the box, that these are 'carefully selected one by one' and +/- 0.001g in weight.

To the latter, for the pellets I have, boll*cks

JSB Premium Match Light Weight 0.27 %, highest - lowest 0.0108g

JSB Exact Express Premium 0.23 %, highest - lowest 0.0071g

JSB Exact Premium 0.18 %, highest - lowest 0.0064g

Whilst better than their 'bulk' tin JSB analogues, the Premium weight distributions are about same level as 'bulk' tin RWS R10 Pistol - 0.17 %, or 'bulk' tin Qiang Yuan Match - 0.18 %, but at a much, much higher price

I have sent an email to JSB, asking them to comment on the poor showing of the Premium line, particularly WRT the claim of +/- 0.001g, but they have not yet come back to me

The Premium Line does come in nice boxes though

Of all the pellets, 'match' & 'field' that I have weighed, the Eley Ventus are the clear winners by a long mile, weight spread wise

It will be interesting to see how well the Ventus pellets shoot in competitions, and whether the Eley Tenex will be better still ?

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Yana,

I do hope people don't think I am bashing JSB

JSB pellets are still my pellets of choice for my HFT rifles - my TX200 shoots the Express & Exact sublimely, as do my other Field springers

My vintage match springers also shoot JSB field pellets superbly.

I also use the JSB Match Green & Orange in many of my 10m rifles & pistols, and for me, I have found these shoot as well as my R10 Pistol & Qiang Yuan Match pellets.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

You put a lot of time into weighing and printing the results for us to see Russ - thanks for making the effort as most of us don’t have access to the equipment needed to make such exacting analyses.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I did the experiments with the P34; the Meisterkugeln and Gecos both grouped at around 12-15 mm, but the R10s were much better, 10 pellets in a 7-8mm hole. I can't weigh them to check for variance, but I know what I will carry on buying from now on...
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Modski,

Yup - the only real way we have to assess the pellets performance is to shoot them in the relevant pistol & rifle

I find the whole of this stuff most fascinating

There seems to be no simple measurements we can do that will predict the actual real world results - perhaps we live in the Matrix ?

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Bob,

My pleasure

It is a shame we cannot include images in the Target/Competition section, as the histogram shows the results in a much more accessible way.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Dont worry, I just wondered why S100 was excluded. I checked the JSB website, it seems that they are no longer their match topline. Theyre now their heavier matchpellet whereas the Premiumline took its place as toplevel matchpellet.
    Didnt even know they changed till yesterday (AGW piece)
    I use JSB Exact in 99% of my 'hunting guns' and classics as well, I use the JSB match in all the Tau 7s.
    Yes they often are deformed but they still perform best/very well
    R10 I only use in the LG300. The other matchrifles all prefer domes
    ATB,
    yana

"Probably The Worlds Most Accurate Airgun Ammo"

Not all .22 pellets have the claimed weight printed on the tins - such as Webley .22 AccuPell or Webley .22 PowaPell. These show no claimed weight at all - this is not very handy when trying to establish an airguns power when using them!

Both are marked as 5.5mm but no other information is given.

Likewise with .177 Crossman AccuPell pellets (presumably these Crossman pellets are the same as Webley AccuPell pellets?)

Accupell pellets (both Crossman and Webley branded) have printed on their tins "Probably The Worlds Most Accurate Airgun Ammo".

It would be good to know what they actually weigh, what variation the pellets have, and then of course to see just how accurate they are in performance too!

I do know of a few (non related) spring powered air rifle shooters who swear by them - so maybe they are good ?- but we still need to know the weights to check the power they provide when used in airguns that are close to the 12ft/lb legal limit.
    Last edited by zooma; 02-05-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Bob,

The 0.22" pellets I have weighed ( in lots of 100) are :

Air Arms Diablo Field - Stated 16 gr., actual average 15.9 gr., (heaviest - lowest = 0.5 gr.)

JSB Jumbo RS - Stated 13.4 gr., actual average 13.4 gr., (heaviest - lowest = 0.5 gr.)

JSB Jumbo Express - Stated 14.4 gr., actual average 14.3 gr., (heaviest - lowest = 0.5 gr.)

JSB Jumbo Exact - Stated 15.9 gr., actual average 15.9 gr., (heaviest - lowest = 0.7 gr.)

(The results are in the spreadsheet I sent you.)

I have still not heard back from JSB with regards to their 'optimistic' weight tolerance claim for their Premium line of pellets - they state +/- 1 mg., I found spreads of 6 to 7 mg.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Hello to All,

Following recent threads, I thought I would dig out some of the stats. I had gathered WRT weights of various pellets; Compliant with the Law Of Sod, I couldn't find them

I arranged the loan of a four (4) decimal place lab. balance (Sartorius M-Power AZ124), and gathered the below informations.

One hundred (100) pellets were selected at random from each 'tin', and weighed.

(RSD = relative standard deviation = 100*standard deviation/average weight)

The results, are I think, quite interesting.

The Eley Ventus have an exceptionally low variance in weight - I will be very surprised if the new Eley Tenex pellets can improve on them !

The RWS R10 Pistol & Qiang Yuan Match, also have very low variance.

For some reason, I can't seem to insert images in the Target/Competition Shooting area - you can in other sections ????

Have fun & a good Easter

Best regards

Russ

Summary

Pellet RSD/% Min/gr. Max/gr. Mean/gr.
    Eley Ventus 0.09 8.38 8.42 8.40
    RWS R10 Pistol 0.17 6.96 7.02 6.99
    Qiang Yuan Match 0.18 7.80 7.89 7.86
    H&N Finale Rifle 0.37 7.90 8.07 7.99
    Qiang Yuan Olympic (Old) 0.37 7.81 8.02 7.93
    Eley Match 0.40 8.34 8.52 8.42
    RWS R10 Rifle 0.49 8.05 8.31 8.17
    H&N Finale Pistol 0.50 7.21 7.44 7.33
    JSB Orange 0.69 7.91 8.15 8.03
    JSB Green 0.74 7.18 7.46 7.33
    JSB Blue 0.76 8.11 8.41 8.27
    Geco 0.79 7.07 7.33 7.19
    RWS Hobby 1.07 6.98 7.15 7.11

Further informations

Image embed fixed now. Thank you Mr Admin.
    I sell TatarGan in the caliber of the pope. Iron sits in the crocodile. A light bun turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Bob,

The 0.22" pellets I have weighed ( in lots of 100) are :

Air Arms Diablo Field - Stated 16 gr., actual average 15.9 gr., (heaviest - lowest = 0.5 gr.)

JSB Jumbo RS - Stated 13.4 gr., actual average 13.4 gr., (heaviest - lowest = 0.5 gr.)

JSB Jumbo Express - Stated 14.4 gr., actual average 14.3 gr., (heaviest - lowest = 0.5 gr.)

JSB Jumbo Exact - Stated 15.9 gr., actual average 15.9 gr., (heaviest - lowest = 0.7 gr.)

(The results are in the spreadsheet I sent you.)

I have still not heard back from JSB with regards to their 'optimistic' weight tolerance claim for their Premium line of pellets - they state +/- 1 mg., I found spreads of 6 to 7 mg.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ
    Thanks Russ,

Information of this type for .22 pellets is much more difficult to come by than it is for .177 pellets.