Thread: Webley ‘Horseshoe’ target holder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays

Webley ‘Horseshoe’ target holder

Hi,has anyone ever seen an example of the early Webley ‘Horseshoe’ target holder? I gather they came in two sizes,ten inch and a 6.5 inch square. I’ve only seen old adverts for these but never seen one in the flesh as it were,infact I can’t find anyone who has seen one. Has anyone here ever been lucky enough to have encountered one of these rarity’s? Were not many made,did they become damaged quickly,was the cost so high they didn’t sell? Must be a reason we don’t seem to encounter them today. Atb Phil

Hi Phil,

No actual examples are known but I would love to see if any have survived.

John

webley target holder

some may have for scrap metal for the war effort ? I think every Webley collector wold want one in the collection ,maybe some one will reproduce some soon? i for one will buy one and i don't like repro .

Quote Originally Posted by splosh! View Post
    some may have for scrap metal for the war effort ? I think every Webley collector wold want one in the collection ,maybe some one will reproduce some soon? i for one will buy one and i don't like repro .
    War effort must certainly have accounted for some I should think. I can’t imagine they would be very cost effective to make to actually sell,I have toyed with the idea of making one though just to see if I can. They to my mind are the best looking target holder,hence the initial interest. Atb Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Phil,

No actual examples are known but I would love to see if any have survived.

John
    Hi John,wow so a real Holy grail. I’m sure if any had of survived and were in collectors hands you would have heard of it. Would be great if one turned up one day. What is your opinion as to colour? Later examples of Webley target holders appear to be green from what I’ve seen. Cheers,Phil

Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    Hi John,wow so a real Holy grail. I’m sure if any had of survived and were in collectors hands you would have heard of it. Would be great if one turned up one day. What is your opinion as to colour? Later examples of Webley target holders appear to be green from what I’ve seen. Cheers,Phil
    Hi Phil,

Black and white according to the old Webley catalogues I have.

Sorry, I couldn't resist that quip I'd guess at green or black.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Phil,

Black and white according to the old Webley catalogues I have.

Sorry, I couldn't resist that quip I'd guess at green or black.

Kind regards,

John
    Thanks John, I’m sure you are correct with Black or Green,it would be great if someone came along and said ‘yep I saw one and it was xxxx’ so that if I do cobble together a copy I could atleast have it in the correct colour.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Did the "horse shoe" pattern actually exist, or was it just an artist's impression in a catalogue illustration? If they did exist it seems mighty strange that none have survived.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.