Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webley ‘Horseshoe’ target holder

spring clip

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    The horseshoe target holder is a bit like the SINGLE spring clip Mk.1 pistol. Both were well advertised by Webley, but no genuine examples of either have been encountered. A few spring clip Mk.1's may have been made but would have 'failed' immediately upon being tested and therefore straightaway discarded.

Similarly some of the cast horseshoe target holders may have been made, then tested, and as has been suggested, soon broke, and therefore the whole idea abandoned.

Webley were somewhat presumptious in their advertising, and in their printing of paperwork. Webley Mk.1 pistols still have instructions relating to the spring clip design, many thousands of pistols after the clip was replaced by the sliding catch.

So I believe would have been the case with the target holder. Knock out hundreds of leaflets/catalogues etc, only to find very early on that the thing is a non starter?

Therefore in short the answer to the question is that they are not and have never been seen because they were never produced in anything other than a tiny initial batch? Otherwise at least a handful would definitely have turned up by now.
    just seen this double spring clip https://www.gunstar.co.uk/webley-web...r-Guns/1003108

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Nice old thing but thas a lot of conkers!

My copy of the Webley target is now completed. What became apparent during the build is that the illustration in the original advert cannot be correct when using the Webley No1 target. The picture shows the target sat within the horseshoe so that the bottom of the target sits or rests on the inner edge of the horseshoe. This cannot be unless you were to cut down every target as there is simply too much target card below the roundal,it is going to show by quite some degree. Was this perhaps one of the reasons it as some people suggest didn’t go into production? I doubt it as it’s easily overcome but food for thought.

Will try and add some photos of the completed target if I can work out how