Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
22" mate, but I think I have a fast barrel as Charlts on here couldn't crack 4000 fps with accuracy from his 243.

I don't think the powder needs to be H4895 specifically, just look for a powder that gives maximum velocity with around 40-45 grains of powder. I noticed this issue when developing a load with 55 grain ballistic tips for a friend of Adamant's with RL 17, another slow powder for this use, and using 49 grains of powder for around 3800fps. Hell of a muzzle flash but that may have been just due to the design of the Hardy moderator he used, by all means try your load under NV before changing.

I plan on using N140 after my stock of 4895 runs out but from my experiments will lose around 150-200 fps velocity, not that this makes much difference in this case as we are talking about around 5%.

Load data for your bullet here: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Max load is 43, bear in mind I am one grain over max in my rifle with 45.5 using a slightly lighter bullet, keeping a close eye on the chronograph and with what I call my "pressure shakedown test" which is loading a single case with the same load over and over again on the firing line until I see loose primer pockets. With Geco brass I tested this load ten times with a minimum batch capacity case and found no evidence of primer pocket loosening over that ten and so I think it's safe in my rifle, it may not be in yours.

What other powders do you have?
Not with my old barrel, but new slow twist long bad boy is over 4100fps with very good accuracy. That's using a stout charge of RS60 if that helps the OP? Obviously it's quite an aggressive powder but my thoughts on barrel life are well known