Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ramshot Hunter 46.9 gn-52.1 gn for hornady 58g v-max in 243 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Sounds like good results but a contrary voice if I may?

I would use a faster burning powder.

I use 45.5 grains of H4895 under a 55 grain BT in my 243 and get 4025 fps.

I also use a ASE SL5i moderator and can see the muzzle flash under NV.

With 48 grains of a slower powder, resulting in a MV of 3500, I am guessing the load is lower pressure and there will be more unburnt powder coming out of the muzzle than with my load.

Are you seeing this flash with your mod and under your NV?
    Thanks for this, this is some very good information that i wished id known about before buying the tub of Ramshot hunter, i suppose the trouble is its on the banned list isnt it ?.
    At the moment i havent shot it with the n/v but i suspect you will be right about muzzle flash.

What length is your barrel to get 4025fps with 45.5 gn of H4895 with 55g bt's -------might see if i can get hold of some H4895.
    What would be the suggested gn of H4895 for the Hornady 58g v-max.

Thanks Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    22" mate, but I think I have a fast barrel as Charlts on here couldn't crack 4000 fps with accuracy from his 243.

I don't think the powder needs to be H4895 specifically, just look for a powder that gives maximum velocity with around 40-45 grains of powder. I noticed this issue when developing a load with 55 grain ballistic tips for a friend of Adamant's with RL 17, another slow powder for this use, and using 49 grains of powder for around 3800fps. Hell of a muzzle flash but that may have been just due to the design of the Hardy moderator he used, by all means try your load under NV before changing.

I plan on using N140 after my stock of 4895 runs out but from my experiments will lose around 150-200 fps velocity, not that this makes much difference in this case as we are talking about around 5%.

Load data for your bullet here: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Max load is 43, bear in mind I am one grain over max in my rifle with 45.5 using a slightly lighter bullet, keeping a close eye on the chronograph and with what I call my "pressure shakedown test" which is loading a single case with the same load over and over again on the firing line until I see loose primer pockets. With Geco brass I tested this load ten times with a minimum batch capacity case and found no evidence of primer pocket loosening over that ten and so I think it's safe in my rifle, it may not be in yours.

What other powders do you have?
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

N120 that ive been using for 53g v-max in 223.

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

Too fast Dave, no load data available and quickload doesn't like the idea very much.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    22" mate, but I think I have a fast barrel as Charlts on here couldn't crack 4000 fps with accuracy from his 243.

I don't think the powder needs to be H4895 specifically, just look for a powder that gives maximum velocity with around 40-45 grains of powder. I noticed this issue when developing a load with 55 grain ballistic tips for a friend of Adamant's with RL 17, another slow powder for this use, and using 49 grains of powder for around 3800fps. Hell of a muzzle flash but that may have been just due to the design of the Hardy moderator he used, by all means try your load under NV before changing.

I plan on using N140 after my stock of 4895 runs out but from my experiments will lose around 150-200 fps velocity, not that this makes much difference in this case as we are talking about around 5%.

Load data for your bullet here: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Max load is 43, bear in mind I am one grain over max in my rifle with 45.5 using a slightly lighter bullet, keeping a close eye on the chronograph and with what I call my "pressure shakedown test" which is loading a single case with the same load over and over again on the firing line until I see loose primer pockets. With Geco brass I tested this load ten times with a minimum batch capacity case and found no evidence of primer pocket loosening over that ten and so I think it's safe in my rifle, it may not be in yours.

What other powders do you have?
    Not with my old barrel, but new slow twist long bad boy is over 4100fps with very good accuracy. That's using a stout charge of RS60 if that helps the OP? Obviously it's quite an aggressive powder but my thoughts on barrel life are well known
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

amir
    dont know how your getting 4000 fps plus as i quickloaded your powder / barrel length / sierra 55gn bullet and can only get 3700 fps ish and thats in the red

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    amir
    dont know how your getting 4000 fps plus as i quickloaded your powder / barrel length / sierra 55gn bullet and can only get 3700 fps ish and thats in the red

A good question and the answer pissed Charlts off enough to get his rifle rebarrelled, I now recall!

I have found QL to be unreliable with H4895, I got the same prediction as you did and was surprised to find the velocity so high. It over states the velocity I get from my 3006 with 150 gr Speer bullets and 51.3gr of 4895 by 100 fps for example and shows that it is a low pressure load whereas I am getting getting 100 fps less and signs that the load is top end.

It does however match the velocity given by Hogdon themselves, which is almost bizarre given how optimistic their data usually is...

A good question and the answer pissed Charlts off enough to get his rifle rebarrelled, I now recall!

I have found QL to be unreliable with H4895, I got the same prediction as you did and was surprised to find the velocity so high. It over states the velocity I get from my 3006 with 150 gr Speer bullets and 51.3gr of 4895 by 100 fps for example and shows that it is a low pressure load whereas I am getting getting 100 fps less and signs that the load is top end.

It does however match the velocity given by Hogdon themselves, which is almost bizarre given how optimistic their data usually is...
    cool....quickload is great bit of kit but only a guide but nice to have

cool....quickload is great bit of kit but only a guide but nice to have
    It's easy to see why, have a fiddle with the Ba values, or the burn rate +/- figures, and see how the "same" powder can give very different results.

I thinkk the batch of H4895 they tested in the powder file is very different to the one I am using.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
    my 20 inch parker hale scout loves 175gn vld and pushes them out extremely fast and accurate and a bit hot too lol

amir
    I wouldn't bother with Amirs load, it won't even blow through a fox at 50m's......pathetic !

You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Well it’s not like the old barrel was slow with the 70’s, it was more suited to heavy bullets. The new tube however is absolutely wicked at what it was bolted on for!
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    I echo Amir's sentiments. I make it a "rule" in a .308 sized case that if the max load for a given powder is below 41grn, it's too fast. If it's above "about" 48, it's too slow. To me those too fast and too slow phrases translate to "not optimum for the bullet weight".
    Light weight bullets in a .243 respond well to quicker powders. The slower powders start coming into their own at a bullet weight of 85grn +.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

An interesting read guys.

I'm running 58gr Vmax at the moment also, however I'm pushing it with 48.5gr of H414. I don't have great deal of this left though, so it's H4895 or Ramshot Hunter next (it's what I have in the cupboard).

I'm getting 3680 over the chrono using a 22" barrel.