Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HFT Pellets for Springers

HFT Pellets for Springers

I am just preparing my first spring powered HFT rifle - a .177, HW97K.

Although I have shot target air weapons all my life the popular choice of HFT pellets that I read about that are commonly being used are not the types or sizes that I have ever come across before.

Most pellets that I would normally use for target work are either 4.49 or 4.50 but I see larger sizes such as 4.52 and 4.53 being used for HFT and so I thought I would ask here for some suggestions to test in my HW97K.

I have tried some JSB Exact 4.52 and AA Diablo Field 4.52 and some RWS Superdome - presumably 4.50 (no size stamped on the printed label).

My groupings at 10 meters on our indoor club range are good, but I am sure when taken outdoors and over greater distances there may be a bigger difference than I have found so far.

I got very good groups with the JSB Exact but suffered from the odd flyer. The AA pellets also grouped well (with no flyers) and the best group size was shared between the JSB and Superdome - but the Superdome had no flyers !

Any thoughts about these or any other pellet types that are either popular with HFT springer shooters or that may be worth a try would be appreciated.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Try .177

Best thing is to 'suck-em-&-c' Try as many (good quality round head - no gimmicks) varieties as you can. JSB is a good starting point over a minimum of 30 yards indoors. Ask other HFTers a the clubs what they shoot. I think the most popular at Rivi is JSB but Im no anorak so I cant tell you which is the best size/batch number.

Welcome to a world of grief.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post

I have tried some JSB Exact 4.52 and AA Diablo Field 4.52 and some RWS Superdome - presumably 4.50 (no size stamped on the printed label).
    Every rifle has a favorite.
    I use a 97kt for HFT and it loves AA Diablo Field 4.52's with JSB Exact 4.52's a close second.
    Don't rule out trying some light ones, some 97's seem to like AA express and falcon accuracy + but they'll take the wind.

Carry on as you're doing, but maybe take them out to 45yds and the results will be more obvious.

Enjoy the 97!

Matt.

H&N FTT would be worth trying in an HW barrel if you don't get the long range a curacy you want from JSB.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Forget the head size, just find a pellet that works. Starting out with springers just get a benchmark group size. Once you're comfortable with that you can then see if batch variation will have any effect, but to be honest once you have a fairly consistent pellet then batches are probably lower down on springer shooting woes than they are on a pcp.

JSB & their rebadged clones like AA etc is the make predominantly used by HFT/FT shooters, almost exclusively. You may see the odd person trying something different but if you look down the lists from results where pellet is stated it will be JSB or AA (made by JSB).

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Forget the head size, just find a pellet that works. Starting out with springers just get a benchmark group size. Once you're comfortable with that you can then see if batch variation will have any effect, but to be honest once you have a fairly consistent pellet then batches are probably lower down on springer shooting woes than they are on a pcp.

JSB & their rebadged clones like AA etc is the make predominantly used by HFT/FT shooters, almost exclusively. You may see the odd person trying something different but if you look down the lists from results where pellet is stated it will be JSB or AA (made by JSB).
    Pretty much exactly what Rob has said above. Probably 90% of HFT shooters are using JSB Exact 8.44's or Air Arms Field equivalent. The head size printed on the tin is almost meaningless as every tin has quite a large range of actual measured sizes. What you are really interested in is the die number which is either the first 1 or 2 digits of the 7 or 8 digit code on the sticker on the back of the tin. Comparing different die numbers you can see variations in pellet length, shape of waist, shape of dome etc.

For my springer (TX200) almost any die number group the same to 35 yards. Very slight changes at 40 yards. And a noticeable change at 45 yards (+/- 20% group size). However I have to shoot a load of groups and take the averages over time because shooting consistent groups at 45 yards with a springer is HARD.

I would suggest the following to people new to HFT:
    - Pick up any die number for now
    - As you shoot more comps, ask around for known 'good dies' (for example #4, #8, #54 are known to be good at the moment)
    - When you get a chance, get some of these known good pellets (half the time people at your club will give you some to try)
    - Experiment at longer ranges
    - practice practice practice

In my springer, die 54 are my current choice, with die 4 close behind. But to be honest at 45 yards its still more down to me than the pellet. Having the right pellet is maybe worth 1 in 20 of the 45 yard shots for me

Bob,

JSB Express (and Air Arms Field Express) shoot superbly for me.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Bob,

JSB Express (and Air Arms Field Express) shoot superbly for me.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ
    Thanks Russ,

I have not acquired a great section of "suitable" .177 round headed pellets to test as yet as I have never had a use for any, but I do have :-

x1 tin of JSB Exact . 8.44 gr size 4.52. There is a number 4 stamped on the label just in front of the size - is this where they show the die number?

x1 tin of Air Arms Diablo Field. 8.4gr size 4.52. Just in front of the 27.5.2013 date is the number 18 and after the size is stamped S0 00.

I think both tins come from 2013 so they may not even make these types any more ?

I also have a part tin of Crossman Accu Pell and plenty of RWS Superdomes.

We have a good supply of RWS pellets for the club so the Superdome are easy to come by, but the other types will require a visit to a (non-local) gun shop or a good online supplier.

Once I know what to use I guess the best way to buy them is in "sleeves" of 10 tins - to get the best price and to keep the same batch (die) number to keep continuity until they are all used - and by then there may be something new to try instead!

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post

Thanks for the info and advice.

I will look to find the best place to buy some JSB or AA pellets online (if possible).

My tin of JSB Exact were probably bought in 2013 and were opened at the club for the first time last week - likewise the AA Diablo Field, and they both worked well enough - but they did not group any better than the RWS Superdomes at 10 meters on our indoor range - in fact the tightest single group of any 10 shot string was achieved with RWS Superdomes - but not by much - all of the pellets that were tested grouped very well on our indoor range.

I took five 10 shot groups from rest with each pellet type (150 shots) and then did the same with another HW97KT (total 300 shots together from both rifles) over a 3 hour concentrated period.

Cocking the two HW97 rifles was was very good exercise (probably over 350 times including setting the zero's and making sure the rest position was repeatable enough for a good meaningful test!). I might just sell the weights and try cocking the HW97K and HW97K for a few hours instead!!

I suspect the slightly greater weight and choice of size (to get the best barrel fit) offered by the JSB made pellets will show the advantage during further testing at greater ranges - and outdoors when the wind comes into play etc - so I am keen to get a few more to test before committing to a sleeve of any type - but from the contributions so far it is looking like the favourites to add to my testing to start with are the other JSB and AA types.

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    H&N FTT would be worth trying in an HW barrel if you don't get the long range a curacy you want from JSB.

This ^. I know their not the in vogue JSB, but all my Weihrauch guns shoot these better accuracy wise than anything else. They will be lower, power output wise though, than the JSB.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    This ^. I know their not the in vogue JSB, but all my Weihrauch guns shoot these better accuracy wise than anything else. They will be lower, power output wise though, than the JSB.

John
    I actually picked up a tin of H&N FTT along with a tin of JSB Exact 4.52 from the “liked” die number 4 during my shopping trip in Formby yesterday so I can do some more testing as I get used to the HW97KT.

Just to add to the mix I have acquired a .22 HW97K recently.

This is only .22 of any type that I currently own and I am looking forward to making a direct accuracy performance comparison between the two age old traditional rival calibre's with the same type of rifle when using similar quality pellets in each.

I will also be trying to find the best performing .22 pellet in my HW97K as well as the overall best performing .177 pellet in my other HW97K so it could be very interesting.

My .22 pellet accuracy testing will start with JSB Exact, AA Diablo Field, RWS Superdome and Webley AccuPell. Along the way I have also picked up a tin of Brocock Super Hunter, PowaPell, and VMXPell, so I may as well add these to my accuracy testing too!

If anyone who has experience with any other .22 pellets that could be added to this accuracy testing list and would like to let me know I would be happy to try them too!

In my experience with HW .22 barrels you may find Webley Mosquito Express or Falcon Accuracy Plus worth a try. They're only available in 5.52mm.
    H&N FTT's are also worth comparing again start with 5.52 but other sizes are available. Weihrauch FT pellets are very similar if not identical, I'm pretty certain they are re-badged H&N FTT's.
    I also used to get good groups with Defiant 5.52mm, haven't yet tried the H&N version but they may well be good.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by rancidtom View Post
    In my experience with HW .22 barrels you may find Webley Mosquito Express or Falcon Accuracy Plus worth a try. They're only available in 5.52mm.
    H&N FTT's are also worth comparing again start with 5.52 but other sizes are available. Weihrauch FT pellets are very similar if not identical, I'm pretty certain they are re-badged H&N FTT's.
    I also used to get good groups with Defiant 5.52mm, haven't yet tried the H&N version but they may well be good.
    Thanks Tom (?) - I will give them a try too!

In 177 HW barrels, the H+N FTT seem to work more often than not.
    For 22, Superdomes are my first choice in most rifles, followed by accuracy plus. I have not found a rifle that likes JSB in 22.
    Thanks - Geoff.