I am just preparing my first spring powered HFT rifle - a .177, HW97K.

Although I have shot target air weapons all my life the popular choice of HFT pellets that I read about that are commonly being used are not the types or sizes that I have ever come across before.

Most pellets that I would normally use for target work are either 4.49 or 4.50 but I see larger sizes such as 4.52 and 4.53 being used for HFT and so I thought I would ask here for some suggestions to test in my HW97K.

I have tried some JSB Exact 4.52 and AA Diablo Field 4.52 and some RWS Superdome - presumably 4.50 (no size stamped on the printed label).

My groupings at 10 meters on our indoor club range are good, but I am sure when taken outdoors and over greater distances there may be a bigger difference than I have found so far.

I got very good groups with the JSB Exact but suffered from the odd flyer. The AA pellets also grouped well (with no flyers) and the best group size was shared between the JSB and Superdome - but the Superdome had no flyers !

Any thoughts about these or any other pellet types that are either popular with HFT springer shooters or that may be worth a try would be appreciated.