Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Forget the head size, just find a pellet that works. Starting out with springers just get a benchmark group size. Once you're comfortable with that you can then see if batch variation will have any effect, but to be honest once you have a fairly consistent pellet then batches are probably lower down on springer shooting woes than they are on a pcp.

JSB & their rebadged clones like AA etc is the make predominantly used by HFT/FT shooters, almost exclusively. You may see the odd person trying something different but if you look down the lists from results where pellet is stated it will be JSB or AA (made by JSB).
Thanks for the info and advice.

I will look to find the best place to buy some JSB or AA pellets online (if possible).

My tin of JSB Exact were probably bought in 2013 and were opened at the club for the first time last week - likewise the AA Diablo Field, and they both worked well enough - but they did not group any better than the RWS Superdomes at 10 meters on our indoor range - in fact the tightest single group of any 10 shot string was achieved with RWS Superdomes - but not by much - all of the pellets that were tested grouped very well on our indoor range.

I took five 10 shot groups from rest with each pellet type (150 shots) and then did the same with another HW97KT (total 300 shots together from both rifles) over a 3 hour concentrated period.

Cocking the two HW97 rifles was was very good exercise (probably over 350 times including setting the zero's and making sure the rest position was repeatable enough for a good meaningful test!). I might just sell the weights and try cocking the HW97K and HW97K for a few hours instead!!

I suspect the slightly greater weight and choice of size (to get the best barrel fit) offered by the JSB made pellets will show the advantage during further testing at greater ranges - and outdoors when the wind comes into play etc - so I am keen to get a few more to test before committing to a sleeve of any type - but from the contributions so far it is looking like the favourites to add to my testing to start with are the other JSB and AA types.