Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Arms Anorak

Air Arms Anorak

I’ve now published the site I have been working on and it can be found at https://www.airarmsanorak.co.uk/

There’s still a lot to be added over coming months but it would be great to get some feedback and feel free to send anything that would be useful for the site – especially some nice photos of your Air Arms rifles for the gallery.

I hope you find it of interest and thanks to all that have helped me out with info.

Steve

Well done Steve.

Thank you, first class work.

Onwards and upwards.
    Less is more

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    "The Springers" section is missing
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Excellent read ... thank you.
    Now I somehow doubt if this is relevant and I may have mentioned it before but I am interested in your comment about a 100 series carbine. Some years ago I bought what was described as an Air Arms Chameleon .177 rifle at auction. It was covered in camo tape, action, stock, the lot so a thorough examination was not possible. On getting it home the tape was stripped off to reveal an obvious 100 series action type; a chrono test showed it to be way ott. A strip showed a Cortina suspension type hammer spring and a sort of home made valve head in that the old head had clearly been loose and araldited back on. The action had been 'carbined' by the simple method of cutting the end of the cylinder off, mostly the removable end cap area and welding the air filler valve threaded part back on. The filler valve was thus still removeable but as there was no end plug there was no internal seal. The trigger unit was the match trigger unit. I corrected the power issue but after very few shots, the valve head broke away ... a new replacement was not available but I did try making one. This had limited success as the rifle would only hold air for maybe a month. The cylinder seals were U rings, not standard O rings. I found a supply of these from a local firm.
    Interestingly, the user manual (I used to have an SM100) gave instructions on how to adjust the power ... before the AT scene arrived on the block.
    I eventually got bored of experimenting with trying to make a new valve head (and failing) so sold the rifle as a project.
    Cheers, Phil

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Excellent production Steve, I wish you well with the venture !

Are you a member down at "Idleback" ?
    Atb,
    John.
    “An airgun or two”………

Well done Steve
    I enjoyed looking through the site and quite a bit of history I hadn’t realised .
    Ill have to take some pics of mine and send too Ypo .

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Shoto1 View Post
    Well done Steve.

Thank you, first class work.

Onwards and upwards.
    Cheers Shoto.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    "The Springers" section is missing
    It is in progress mate. The research is done and the pages have been created for the TX's/Pro Elite & Pro Sport. I hope to have it sorted some time this month.The side-levers will follow later.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Excellent read ... thank you.
    Now I somehow doubt if this is relevant and I may have mentioned it before but I am interested in your comment about a 100 series carbine. Some years ago I bought what was described as an Air Arms Chameleon .177 rifle at auction. It was covered in camo tape, action, stock, the lot so a thorough examination was not possible. On getting it home the tape was stripped off to reveal an obvious 100 series action type; a chrono test showed it to be way ott. A strip showed a Cortina suspension type hammer spring and a sort of home made valve head in that the old head had clearly been loose and araldited back on. The action had been 'carbined' by the simple method of cutting the end of the cylinder off, mostly the removable end cap area and welding the air filler valve threaded part back on. The filler valve was thus still removeable but as there was no end plug there was no internal seal. The trigger unit was the match trigger unit. I corrected the power issue but after very few shots, the valve head broke away ... a new replacement was not available but I did try making one. This had limited success as the rifle would only hold air for maybe a month. The cylinder seals were U rings, not standard O rings. I found a supply of these from a local firm.
    Interestingly, the user manual (I used to have an SM100) gave instructions on how to adjust the power ... before the AT scene arrived on the block.
    I eventually got bored of experimenting with trying to make a new valve head (and failing) so sold the rifle as a project.
    Cheers, Phil
    Airmasters produced a "Chameleon" which I believe was a custom HW77. I'm not aware of a Chameleon version of the 100 series rifles but I may be wrong.

What you describe does not sound like the work of Air Arms or Airmasters so maybe someone was passing off a garage customed rifle.

As you say, power adjustment was no secret back then - even the mags would print instructions. I can't remember which rifle it is for but I have an Air Arms manual which says that the police do not look kindly if a gun is more than 1ftlb over the 12ftlb limit!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Excellent production Steve, I wish you well with the venture !

Are you a member down at "Idleback" ?
    Atb,
    John.
    Thanks John and yes, i am a member of Idleback - i was down there earlier this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Pjw18 View Post
    Well done Steve
    I enjoyed looking through the site and quite a bit of history I hadn’t realised .
    Ill have to take some pics of mine and send too Ypo .

Paul
    I'm please you enjoyed it Paul - there's loads more to come.

Pictures would be great.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    See you at Idleback sometime, I'm the bloke who just brings Springers !
    Looking at your Username, we've probably got something else in common, Blue & White stripes ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Good work Steve.

I bought an SM last year.
    Thanks to you I now know all about it.

Hi Steve

Good informative site , well done 👍

Regards

James

Very nice work Steve.

I note that the "jackals lair" website appears, for me, to be down. I forget who created that (Jackel? paddy E?), but maybe you could re-use (with permission) that site's content on the springers. It was a good and authoritative resource.

Geez.

An enjoyable read-thank you my good man
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Very nice work Steve.

I note that the "jackals lair" website appears, for me, to be down. I forget who created that (Jackel? paddy E?), but maybe you could re-use (with permission) that site's content on the springers. It was a good and authoritative resource.

Geez.
    I think the guy sold his Air guns that did the Jackal's Lair . Cant remember his user name on here but he was not any that you you listed above
    Last edited by bighit; 05-04-2018 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Good work Steve.

I bought an SM last year.
    Thanks to you I now know all about it.
    That's great to hear as it's exactly why I created the site.

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    Hi Steve

Good informative site , well done 👍

Regards

James
    Cheers James.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Very nice work Steve.

Geez.
    Mike had agreed for me to use a link on my site for the under-lever info as I wasn't going to do it for a while. I emailed him a couple of days ago about some manuals so will hopefully hear back from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
    An enjoyable read-thank you my good man
    Thanks you.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I think the guy sold his Air guns that did the Jackal's Lair . Cant remember his user name on here but he was not any that you you listed above

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Nice site but do you have Air Arms permission to use their logo? If not then you should remove it as it could get litigious.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL