Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The start of a 'collection'...

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by rovercoupe View Post
    A collection is a load of "stuff" to be a collector you must have bought a gun then sold it then at a later date regretted it and bought another exact same gun normally for a large amount more that the original one!

Repeat, now you are a collector.

I didn't bother selling a gun before getting another of the same, I've eight HW35's, Three mk1 Airsporters, Five mk2 Airsporters, Four Mercury's among loads of others doubled!! ��

John
    Last edited by johnbaz; 10-04-2018 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Cuz eye carnt spel proply!
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I didn't bother selling a gin before getting another of the same, I've eight HW35's, Three mk1 Airsporters, Five mk2 Airsporters, Four Mercury's among loads of others doubled!! 👍

John
    I don't think you've got enough John!
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by Paul SE View Post
    Andrew, our sponsor has H&N Pointed with smooth bodies for sale >>here<<

Also available are Diana Pointed pellets, which look to me to be the same, or very similar, here:

http://www.sportsmk.co.uk/cat/20201/...diana-pellets/

I've purchased some Diana Pointed pellets from the auction site, and the pellets look the same as H&N, and shoot consistently.

I had a .177 Mk2 Vulcan that shot H&N Pointed very well, but also quite predictively, shot Eley Wasp / BSA Pylarm accurately.
    Ah, many thanks for that helpful post. It seems H&N now have a smooth version but this stimulated me into doing a 'google images' search and I spotted, there, a traditional version of H&N Pointed, too, with 'engraved lines' for want of a better term, like the Dianas you mentioned. These are labelled 'spitzkugel'. In that search, I also spotted 'silver pointed', which reminded me of the superlative 'Silver Jets' of some 40 years ago, which seem to have ceased. These provided pin point accuracy in my Original 45.

I wonder what the ballistics are between smooth and engraved. If someone picks this post up, perhaps we might find out - unless you know the answer to this question!

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I didn't bother selling a gin before getting another of the same, I've eight HW35's, Three mk1 Airsporters, Five mk2 Airsporters, Four Mercury's among loads of others doubled!! 👍

John
    As a matter of interest, do you find there is much difference between them other, perhaps, than power (depending upon how much each has been used)? It's an impressive collection!

[QUOTE=BarnsleyBob;7477045]Ok, as I said earlier in the thread, here are the results from my short chrono test today. I should point out that pellet weights are as-per the stated weight on the tins. I know these are likely to be 'out' a bit so will do more in depth tests at a later date with properly weighed batches and with longer short strings too. The strings today were ten shots per pellet type.

FWB SPORT 127 (.22)

Falcon Accuracy Plus 13.43gr

Average FPS - 596.18fps
    High - 599fps
    Low - 591.4fps
    Spread - 7.6fps
    Average power - 10.58fpe

RWS Superdome 14.5gr

Average FPS - 561.32fps
    High - 564.2fps
    Low - 557.9fps
    Spread - 6.3fps
    Average Power - 10.15fpe

RWS Hobby 11.9gr

Average FPS - 636.6fps
    High - 640.6fps
    Low - 632.7fps
    Spread 7.9fps
    Average Power - 10.71fpe.

This rifle came to me last week and has recently had a standard service kit fitted by the previous owner. It is doing a little less FPE than claimed however I was very impressed by the spread/consistency on what is a 35 year old rifle. I've managed to adjust the trigger too, so I now have a proper 1st & 2nd stage and overall I'm VERY happy!

Interesting, BarnsleyBob. My FWB127, which I bought in Jan, was doing between 11.3-11.5, as measured at the gunshop, using Superdomes and Air Arms. As I recall, these rifles were specially designed for the UK market to perform at about 11.5, which suggests yours has probably had a little use - unsurprising after some 40 years.

I have not had a chance to test mine outdoors yet, at 25yds, to see what pellets are the most accurate. Inside, I discovered that it was drilling hole in hole at 15yds, with BSA Elites, although it was - from memory - a tight fit in the barrel.

I think many (probably including this one) will run comfortably at 11-11.5fpe Andrew. 'Muskett' on here has said in the past, if I recall correctly, that the several Sports he's had all ran at different power, some as low as 9.something... but that they all shot well at their 'preferred' power be it high or low.

To be honest if mine is accurate I'll be happy with 10+fpe. It'll do the job and, as it currently is, the shot cycle feels pretty pleasant. I won't be going on a quest just to get another 1fpe that's for sure...

All the best
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

BarnsleyBob, I have now had an opportunity, this evening, to test my FWB127 (Mk2 - circa 1982) for accuracy at 25yds, outside, given the weather was dry and still. I discovered as follows:

1 Accupells - magnificently accurate, doing approx. 1/4 inch grouping. However, I have noted a slightly lower point of impact, so I am wondering if the power is a little less. Perhaps you could chronograph Accupells and see what they produce for your own FWB127, by way of comparison with your other pellets.

2 H&N Pointed (pellets nearly 40 years old), approx. 1/2 - 3/4in grouping. Not bad.

3 S.dome: - pretty poor, struggling to make 1in groups.

4 BSA Elites: extremely tight fit and falling several inches low from the average point of impact, from which I deduce that the power has collapsed with this pellet. The earlier groups at 16yds were very tight but, clearly, this is at a considerable cost to the power.

5 Eley Wasp and Defiant .22s: very tight fits, so discontinued the test. This makes sense, given we have .22 pellets in a 5.5mm barrel.

I need to carry out further testing with a wider range of pellets but do not have a chrono, so am somewhat restricted in terms of the ft/lbs readings.

I should be most interested to discover what power Accupells produce in this rifle. Certainly, the fit was good but I am curious that the point of impact was about an inch below where it was for the Superdomes.

Finally, despite the criticism the FWB trigger has received, I found it rather pleasing, once I had the knack of it. There was no well defined 'two-stage', as exists elsewhere, but there was a bit of distance until the firing point and the pressure was light. I am not persuaded by the criticism of the trigger.
    Last edited by andrewM; 10-04-2018 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Mk2 model

That's interesting Andrew, thank you. I don't have any Accupels in .22 at the mo but will try to get some and put them over the chrono. Different rifles, obviously but it'll be interesting to see what they do compared to others.

I did start to test H&N FTT but found them to be a very tight fit in mine, and fps consistency was surprisingly way off compared to the pellets I tested the other day.

Trigger wise, I've managed to adjust mine so there's definite 1st & 2nd stages; it's really pretty decent and I'm happy with it.

All the best.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    It's on'y a collection when at least two o' t guns are owder than thee!
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    It's on'y a collection when at least two o' t guns are owder than thee!
    Tha's got no chance then, si'thi!
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by rovercoupe View Post
    A collection is a load of "stuff" to be a collector you must have bought a gun then sold it then at a later date regretted it and bought another exact same gun normally for a large amount more that the original one!

Repeat, now you are a collector.
    That is almost my entire collection then, Prosport (sold it and managed to buy it back), Challenger (sold one and waited for years to buy another), Airsporter RB2 (sold one and last week managed to replace it after nearly 18 years), the rest of them are ones I've lusted after for years and finally managed to get one.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in