Thread: Scope making a buzzing sound? Is there a fix?

Scope making a buzzing sound? Is there a fix?

Thought it was a fault with my rifle as the sound was similar to a twang, checked the rifle and everything was ok. Had a closer look at the scope, gave it a tap and there is a buzzing sound. The only way to describe it is if you were to tap a lightbulb. The scope is in working order. Any ideas? Is there a fix?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Is it a Hawke Vantage/Varmint?
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Yeah they do that, resonance which is Audible on a springer. If you can live with it they are a good scope. If not it may be time to treat yourself to a new scope bud

Scope

It's a nikko mountmaster. I have another that doesn't have the issue.

Scope

Yeah it is on a springer. I've never splashed any serious cash on optics as I haven't required to for my needs. I've had mainly lower end bsa,Hawke,ags,nikko and a surprisingly reliable 3-9 smk! Must be fluke good one and was a freebie with a brumbow. My other nikko I can't fault and doesn't have the problem. If there isnt a fix then so be it. I can't live with the noise so it will go on a lender rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by baldinio View Post
    Yeah they do that, resonance which is Audible on a springer. If you can live with it they are a good scope. If not it may be time to treat yourself to a new scope bud
    I think that all scopes can do it with the right (wrong) gun.

I have a Hawke Varmint which doesn't do it but I have another make of scope that resonates annoyingly on one of my rifles but not on the others.

I just put it on a different gun, problem solved.

I think the early vantage scopes were especially well known for it. I have one on my tuned hw80 and it resonates quite a lot, I simply put up with it because I like the scope. I have just bought another vantage, the same model in fact, second-hand from a mate at the boinger bash. It will be interesting to see if this one also resonates on a springer.

Try altering the distance between the scope mounts. You never know, with resonance.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Never heard of this before! Interesting stuff. I’d be worried about putting my eye near a scope with glass that is buzzing haha

Had a cobra that did it. It was surprisingly loud.
    They exchanged it for another which was fine. I think it was the big spring behind the AO on mine
    Rust never sleeps !

Quote Originally Posted by Plinker87 View Post
    It's a nikko mountmaster. I have another that doesn't have the issue.
    I had a Mountmaster that buzzed so loud people thought it was my gun Put it on a sharp innova that my boss had ( he had one of those 3/4" Gurning scopes on it he was made up and I was glad to get Shot of it

This is very common on front focus parallax adjustable scopes and the bigger the objective lens the more common it is , if you look into the objective lens on the front of the scope you will see a large spring. This pushes the lens when you adjust the focus when fitted to spring rifle it can vibrate when the gun is fired. Its the luck of the draw i have had it with the cheaper scopes and also with higher priced scope , its annoying when you tune a gun and get rid of the mechanical noise and then you get this noise from the scope . One way to cure it is to fit side focus scope these dont have the spring and there is some that is not expensive to buy now.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

Scope noise

Got the same problem on a weaver 10x's front pa scope. And as venoman said it's the spring in the front pa. Mach 1.5

Buzz

Thank you all for your time and input.
    The moral of the story seems to be if you own it switch it onto a rifle it likes. If you are buying it doesn't harm to give the front focus a vigorous tap and have a wee listen. As flabbergasted as the salesman may be it might be worth asking "can I whack a similar spec optic sir?"
    Last edited by Plinker87; 14-04-2018 at 11:18 PM.

I had this once near drove me crackers till someone tipped me to the problem.