Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bit of scope zeroing advice needed

bit of scope zeroing advice needed

hi guys,recently got myself a new scope,new to me but second hand.had a bit of time today to mount it and set about zeroing it.i normally am quite good at this task but today i cant do it.i have used all my elevation adjustment,and still need to adjust the scope up.i have never had this before,is this where i have to shim the mounts?if so rear or forward?any help much appreciated.oh also i changed the mounts from one set to another both high,just to see if this made a difference,it didnt.

Quote Originally Posted by woodpigeon View Post
    hi guys,recently got myself a new scope,new to me but second hand.had a bit of time today to mount it and set about zeroing it.i normally am quite good at this task but today i cant do it.i have used all my elevation adjustment,and still need to adjust the scope up.i have never had this before,is this where i have to shim the mounts?if so rear or forward?any help much appreciated.oh also i changed the mounts from one set to another both high,just to see if this made a difference,it didnt.
    Put the front mount back and back one front

Quote Originally Posted by bobby822 View Post
    If that doesn’t help then you need to shim. Election tape works a treat

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Get some decent adjustable mounts - ATP61 if it's a 30mm tube - or shim the rear mount as a second option:

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005...-shim-a-scope/

Jerry

NewPaul is online now Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Worth a try

However, before you shim, check to see that the turret is ‘centralised’ as the previous owner may have wound it all the way (or very near to) it’s end. Wind the turret in any direction to its end then wind it all the way back to its other end whilst counting the amount of rotations it takes to get there, then, wind it back half the amount of rotations which should get you somewhere very near it’s centre point. Hope that makes sense ?
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Or use the mirror method... in bright sunlight stand the scope upright on the objective lens, on the mirror. Look through it and you'll see 2 sets of crosshairs. Simply adjust the elevation and windage so that they perfectly overlap. Et voila - optically centred in seconds.
    Donald

So when i centraise,do i shim the rear mount?thought it would be the front so as to raise po[nt of impact?

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Or use the mirror method... in bright sunlight stand the scope upright on the objective lens, on the mirror. Look through it and you'll see 2 sets of crosshairs. Simply adjust the elevation and windage so that they perfectly overlap. Et voila - optically centred in seconds.
    Yep, done that before and it works well
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    So when i centraise,do i shim the rear mount?thought it would be the front so as to raise po[nt of impact?
    If you have tried the other things - then yes, but three layers of black electrical tape may be enough, I'd also try it with the scope centred with the turn method - it's easy to do and does not involve taking the scope off and messing with mirrors - which I have never been able to get to work because it does not work with all scopes.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Centralise first and then check as you may not need to shim. It sounds illogical but it would be the rear of the scope that you would shim in your case.
    Last edited by NewPaul; 11-04-2018 at 09:27 PM.

I have had this problem before myself. Could I ask, what is your rifle/mount manufacture combination?

Shimming under the scope on the rear mount points the scope downward which has the effect of raising the muzzle thus raising the point of impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Willenium View Post
    Shimming under the scope on the rear mount points the scope downward which has the effect of raising the muzzle thus raising the point of impact.
    Gotcha👍Will try swapping mounts around,then centraliz the crosshairs,then shim the rear.took me a while to get my head around shimming the rear.i drew it out and makes sense.
    Thanks everyone,will try the above when I get home from work.

Gotcha👍Will try swapping mounts around,then centraliz the crosshairs,then shim the rear.took me a while to get my head around shimming the rear.i drew it out and makes sense.
    Thanks everyone,will try the above when I get home from work.
    If you need some shim material mate then please PM me your address as i've got some kits made with proper shim material in different thicknesses. In fact that goes for anyone else on a first come, first served basis as i think i have 3 or 4 kits left.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

secretagentmole Guest
    But what happens if you need Conservative and only have Labour? Or worse, SNP?