Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best stain to match BSA stocks?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

What's the best stain to match BSA stocks?

Hi all,

Has anyone found the best stain to match the reddy brown colour of the deluxe beech BSA stocks as fitted to the Challenger/Superstar/Goldstar etc.

The other problem is trying to find a stain that takes to beech as well.

Any suggestions please.

Cheers

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I have just experimented on my Goldstar, the stock was in poor condition, I used the cassey birchwood kit, this was one coat 50/50 stain water mix, some experimenting might get you the red colour you desire, i was not too fussed and am quite happy with how it turned out, I dulled it off after that photo was taken.

See the link to my few posts here http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....d-stock-finish

Chris

PS after seeing you have nearly 8000 posts I think my reply was pointless to your needs,
    Last edited by chrismac; 10-04-2018 at 08:36 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by chrismac View Post
    I have just experimented on my Goldstar, the stock was in poor condition, I used the cassey birchwood kit, this was one coat 50/50 stain water mix, some experimenting might get you the red colour you desire, i was not too fussed and am quite happy with how it turned out, I dulled it off after that photo was taken.

See the link to my few posts here http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....d-stock-finish

Chris

PS after seeing you have nearly 8000 posts I think my reply was pointless to your needs,
    Why is your post pointless, I wouldn't be asking if I didn't want replies, doesn't matter how long anyone has been on here, someone may always know a better way to do something.

Your advice is most appreciated.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Hi all,

Has anyone found the best stain to match the reddy brown colour of the deluxe beech BSA stocks as fitted to the Challenger/Superstar/Goldstar etc.

The other problem is trying to find a stain that takes to beech as well.

Any suggestions please.

Cheers

Pete
    Pete

Staining beech is almost impossible to do perfectly.

Originally they were sprayed with tinted lacquer, stain nor oil won’t take properly so I would recommend the same.

On the upside it will look factory and only take 30 mins.

Rich
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by chrismac View Post

Chris

That refinish is excellent mate, well done. Better than the factory finish in my opinion

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Pete

Staining beech is almost impossible to do perfectly.

Originally they were sprayed with tinted lacquer, stain nor oil won’t take properly so I would recommend the same.

On the upside it will look factory and only take 30 mins.

Rich
    Are tinted lacquers generally available ?
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Are tinted lacquers generally available ?
    Yes you can even get celly in aerosols.... stay away from 2 pack without all the right kit though

https://www.rothkoandfrost.com/wood-...-and-paint-c34
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Hi you could have a look see here https://chestnutproducts.co.uk/ they do stains. yes it’s for wood turning but it works on wood. I brought the coloured set and re done my stock and it covers nicely and you can mix to get the look you want

Thanks for the replies guys, the lacquer looks interesting Richard, is the dark Mahogany a close enough match for a BSA stock?

Pete

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by Aa410k View Post
    Hi you could have a look see here https://chestnutproducts.co.uk/ they do stains. yes it’s for wood turning but it works on wood. I brought the coloured set and re done my stock and it covers nicely and you can mix to get the look you want
    This looks interesting !
    A good range of pro woodworking products !
    “An airgun or two”………

Now see i prefer the blonde stocks myself. Thats why when i do finaly get time i will rub down both my goldstars stocks which are that reddy brown colour at mo and go for a light effect. I just find the dark wood colour depressing to look at. But will leave my webley tracker deluxe that colour as its a walnut stock. I think beech looks better blonde just like i prefer blonde hair women

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    This looks interesting !
    A good range of pro woodworking products !
    It really is quality stuff and with it being spirit based it drys quick and try oil still covers it. You can also layer it so you get so you can make the detail in the wood

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Why is your post pointless, I wouldn't be asking if I didn't want replies, doesn't matter how long anyone has been on here, someone may always know a better way to do something.

Your advice is most appreciated.

Pete
    Thanks, I have been air rifle shooting for years, just joined the forum as relise there is so much experiance out there, all very intersting, its taken me weeks to get familair with the forum but its all good,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by baldinio View Post
    That refinish is excellent mate, well done. Better than the factory finish in my opinion

Chris
    Thanks for the comment, not bad for a first attempt bought the kit 2 years ago and just got round to it, glad I did now eventually bite the bullet.

Chris

I used the Birchwood Casey Walnut stain and truoil on an old Mercury.

The lacquer on the original stock took ages to get off. I left the stripper on for a couple of hours rather than the advised 30mins or so.

Results:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/pBUgZtYnt3L32ePP2