Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the best stain to match BSA stocks?

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
    I used the Birchwood Casey Walnut stain and truoil on an old Mercury.

The lacquer on the original stock took ages to get off. I left the stripper on for a couple of hours rather than the advised 30mins or so.

Results:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/pBUgZtYnt3L32ePP2
    That looks a nice result
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Sorry fellows, but I see nothing in the above examples that doesn't confirm Richard's advice below.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Pete

Staining beech is almost impossible to do perfectly.

Originally they were sprayed with tinted lacquer, stain nor oil won’t take properly so I would recommend the same.

On the upside it will look factory and only take 30 mins.

Rich
    I know it can be done well. I think Johnbaz on here has done some (old) beech stocks with a stain & oil finish, that are excellent exceptions to the rule.

But generally, beech looks patchy and dirty when it's stained & oil finished. Plus, those horrible yellow 'fish scales' show up like mad.

Been there, done that, sucked up the (rightful) criticism.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Its the end grain that soaks up the stain more than the rest of the stock that bugs me the most.
    Some sort of spray applied tinted laquer would seem to be the best solution ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Yes you can even get celly in aerosols.... stay away from 2 pack without all the right kit though

https://www.rothkoandfrost.com/wood-...-and-paint-c34
    Sounds ideal, cheers Richard
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Someone once gave me a tin of lacquer that was for guitars - worked superbly, look into that Pete.

HTH

Pat
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Thumbs up

Hi

There's a lad on here (Simmo) he got the colour spot on, He does some refinishing and the stocks he's done are absolutely stunning, I saw his pics on facebook

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi

There's a lad on here (Simmo) he got the colour spot on, He does some refinishing and the stocks he's done are absolutely stunning, I saw his pics on facebook

John
    Very true, Ian told me about him, I haven't contacted him yet.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi

John
    Is he local to us John ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Is he local to us John ?
    I think he's a stone's throw away from Mick (T20) John

It's Ian Fosters mate (Fozzie on here), He's a master of stock redoing

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

As stated beech can be a pain to get the stain to take evenly, I’ve refinished literally hundreds of stocks both beech and walnut! Tinted lacquer is the easiest method to get an even colour but it’s not ready available off the shelf and even if it was trying to match it to an original factory colour is near on impossible! I generally mix my own colours and use solvent based stains on beech, I’ve found water based stains don’t take well on beech! I apply the stain with an Airbrush as I find it’s easier to blend in to get an even colouring on the end grain! Followed by a clear laquer finish to seal it off!

I’m in south Derbyshire for those asking where im based by the way!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmo View Post
    As stated beech can be a pain to get the stain to take evenly, I’ve refinished literally hundreds of stocks both beech and walnut! Tinted lacquer is the easiest method to get an even colour but it’s not ready available off the shelf and even if it was trying to match it to an original factory colour is near on impossible! I generally mix my own colours and use solvent based stains on beech, I’ve found water based stains don’t take well on beech! I apply the stain with an Airbrush as I find it’s easier to blend in to get an even colouring on the end grain! Followed by a clear laquer finish to seal it off!

I’m in south Derbyshire for those asking where im based by the way!
    Do you mind me asking what makes/brands of stains and lacquer you use please?

When mixing staines do you find you can mix different makes or do you stick with one make?

Sorry for all the questions.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Aa410k View Post
    Hi you could have a look see here https://chestnutproducts.co.uk/ they do stains. yes it’s for wood turning but it works on wood. I brought the coloured set and re done my stock and it covers nicely and you can mix to get the look you want
    I think the issue with trying to stain beech in particular is that the stain can be patchy. There might be quite an even take except for one area that seems to resist taking any stain at all. The colour is often put on top in the lacquer as it sits on rather than soaks in.. ....Beech is a funny wood in some ways. And great in others.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

[QUOTE=Steyr;7482649]I think the issue with trying to stain beech in particular is that the stain can be patchy. There might be quite an even take except for one area that seems to resist taking any stain at all. The colour is often put on top in the lacquer as it sits on rather than soaks in.. ....Beech is a funny wood in some ways. And great in others.[/QUOTE

Yeah I’m no pro ;-) but I do like having ago and and playing about and I know what you mean about the patchy parts and the pigment won’t take, it can be annoying but the chestnut colours do take well (except the bleeding turquoise/light blue, which dose come out patchy but dark blue did cover but I’d run out of that)
    Funny you say about tinting the lacquer I’ve been playing with tinting tru oil but it’s not working out how I’d hoped