Thread: Serie Rosso - brief review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom

Serie Rosso - brief review

Ok, I said I would not buy one as they were too bloody expensive, but I managed to get hold of one at the right money and boy, what an amazingly beautiful bit of kit it is when you actually see it and hold it in the flesh. The press pictures were none too flattering - it looked like a butchers window and I thought you must be mad to part with £2.5k for mutton dressed as mutton - but in real life it really is nice, very nice.

The price debate will go on - so moving beyond that, here are my first impressions:

Very light - on paper it's over 7.5lb, but pick it up and you get a shock - I don't know where they hid the weight, but it feels more like 6? The carbon shroud and bottle up front help this a lot by taking the weight back to your shoulder instead of having it up front and pulling your leading arm down. The Daystate electronics help keep the weight back also as they have moved the battery from the front of the gun into the stock at the rear and further created a water tight compartment by doing so - they have also put in more waterproofing in the form of a boxed enclosure for the electronics where as in the Mk4 etc. it was a bare, but waterproof circuit board. Arguably it didn't need it as water is not generally an issue for the electronic Daystates - but as they had the opportunity in the redesign of what is essentially a Pulsar action in a target/hunter style stock they took it.

As it started life as a Pulsar they removed the laser - fine on a bull pup for close rat shooting, but there is no where to put it on a normally stocked rifle, and 95% of people will not miss it. They removed - or hid, some of the programming functions as they felt it was too complex to give people too many options which were seldom used - back light timing for example. They also pre programmed the low battery and low pressure functions and added a bigger "rumble" which vibrates to alert you to such events - no big flashing light or loud buzzers to ruin your night vision or scare the game - not that you would be hunting with the LE version, but it's the same parts on the normal Red Wolf other than the fancy stock and LE name.

On shooting the gun you realise it's quiet - very quiet with that carbon shroud, you don't even need a moderator in normal use, but I may get one as I like them, rumour has it some fancy red ones from Huggett are being tested but not sure yet if they will actually be produced.

Shot count is good from the carbon bottle, it's a 480cc size and mine fills to 210 SWP - not sure of the shot count yet, but I done over 200 shots today and only used 50bar, so I'm guessing a real 450+ is on the cards with ease in .177, probably 500+ in .22.

The new single shot trays are better than the old ones and now have higher sides so the pellets don't fallout as easily, but they can still fall back towards the breach while loading, and the Rowan single shot loader from the Pulsar is a better option. The mag is a 10 shot Daystate favourite, mine worked fine, but the ones in the new Brococks looked better made, which surprised me. The accuracy was also good with the mag - which can be a bit less at times depending on the mag/gun line up, but they are normally good for hunting, and not acceptable for bench rest comps where your looking at a couple of mm variances.

The accuracy is what people want to know about, and this one is a belter - absolutely great from the word go with 8 different pellets I thought I'd give a go. The target cards have rows of three smaller targets on them - the ones of the left with the pellet type written on them were just to zero that pellet, then 10 shots were taken at the next two targets to the right - 5 shots in each to see how it grouped, not necessarily hit the bull, but in reality I was finding it hard to miss:

All the groups are under a 5p at 30m (about 18mm) - in fact, most are around 8 to 10mm CTC from tins of unsorted, unweight and unsized pellets - probably the best groups I've done indoors from a bench doing pellet testing. With a bit more patience I was getting 5 shots through a .22 sized hole on some targets - I don't know about you, but that is at the limit of my ability, and it was tiring.

Final couple of bits - nice ambi stock and the action can have the bolt moved for left handers, the filling adapter it comes with is a triple length universal one - like the older Daystate filling adapters, but longer so it's easier to get in and out of the stock - those with an Impact know the problem they have/had with there's, looks like Daystate paid attention and fixed it on this version.

Doing just over 11fpe with JSB Exacts in 8.44, the heavies pushed it up to 11.7 - perfect.

I'm not sure what I'll do about a bipod - nothing is fitted as standard, and I don't like the idea of doing anything to such a nice stock, so I guess I'll be using bags - a small rail fitting would have been nice, as would have been a Red Huggett in the box, but overall, it's a great gun and I'm very pleased with it - which I'm sure a lot of people will be happy to hear - because despite it being out for the last 4 weeks or more people don't seem to be using or writing about them, I guess there will be a lot simply being bought by collectors and being locked up or displayed - not my one, it's too good for that.

James
    Last edited by Jesim1; 16-04-2018 at 10:58 AM.
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Oh James what have you done ?
    Airgun Utopia ?
    Nice honest write up , superb accuracy , but would I take it out in the field ?
    What's the going rate for a kidney these days ?
    Can I sell more than one ?
    Enjoy it , that's what it's all about .

Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    Oh James what have you done ?
    Airgun Utopia ?
    Nice honest write up , superb accuracy , but would I take it out in the field ?
    What's the going rate for a kidney these days ?
    Can I sell more than one ?
    Enjoy it , that's what it's all about .
    Thanks Alan

At just over 1% interest in the bank and inflation at double that then I'm going to play the "good investment" card as money will eventually be worth less than the gun, but it may take a while!

James

It looks like some road kill that should be rushed to a vet, visually it's not to my liking but if it floats your boat all well and good. Some good groupings and a good appraisal of the gun, good post with photos.

Glad it's gone to someone who appreciates what it is

Quote Originally Posted by Big Andy View Post
    Glad it's gone to someone who appreciates what it is
    Thanks Andy, it's a beast

Brilliant gun, well worth the money, I'll get a 100 shot crono string done over the next couple of weeks, it was just not possible with all the swapping of pellets.

James

Rosso.

James thanks for the review. It's good and the groups are not bad at at all.

Having said that I'd be embarrassed to admit they were actually shot bench rested at only 30 metres and indoors!

I know you like changing your high end guns regularly but really is it any better than the Feinwerkbau P800X you bought? Or the Tzar?

How can it possibly be worth 650 soap wrappers more than a Red Wolf?

I also believe you like to shoot in your back garden (which I commend to all owners of a serie rosso) but in all honesty taking that out of the boot of your lovely Porsche at a club range and actually resting it on a bench in front of other people? How could you even consider that? Without a long coat, tilted trilby and dark glasses? I thought you had style and class - it appears I was mistaken sirrah.

Now joking apart - it's even uglier than the worst of the Pulsar's and I'd bet it's no more accurate than an Airwolf or a MK4is. With Tony Belas gone and Daystate considering a move overseas, I think the financial investment in Special Edition Daystates is likely not to be a good one either.

Sorry James.

Other than that - brilliant.

Jack
    Last edited by Jackspratt; 16-04-2018 at 10:10 PM.
    Steyr LG 110 2014; Steyr Pro X; Anschutz 9015 HP ; SCR Exile .177; FX X barrel .177 Aeron Streamline; Daystate Delta Wolf .177; Tau-Brno MK300 .177; Sportsmatch GC2 mk3 .177

Quote Originally Posted by Jackspratt View Post
    James thanks for the review. It's good and the groups are not bad at at all.

Having said that I'd be embarrassed to admit they were actually shot bench rested at only 30 metres and indoors!

I know you like changing your high end guns regularly but really is it any better than the Feinwerkbau P800X you bought? Or the Tzar?

How can it possibly be worth 650 soap wrappers more than a Red Wolf?

I also believe you like to shoot in your back garden (which I commend to all owners of a serie rosso) but in all honesty taking that out of the boot of your lovely Porsche at a club range and actually resting it on a bench in front of other people? How could you even consider that? Without a long coat, tilted trilby and dark glasses? I thought you had style and class - it appears I was mistaken sirrah.

Now joking apart - it's even uglier than the worst of the Pulsar's and I'd bet it's no more accurate than an Airwolf or a MK4is. With Tony Belas gone and Daystate considering a move overseas, I think the financial investment in Special Edition Daystates is likely not to be a good one either.

Sorry James.

Other than that - brilliant.

Jack
    Thanks Jack

I'm not quite sure how to take this as there are so many tongue in cheek slights about both myself and the gun - which as I don't recall meeting you or you actually having owned one of these is a bit confusing to me

I don't see what this contributed to the post? but fair play, your entitled to an opinion based on the car I drive , it just all seem a bit "off".

Safe shooting.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    Thanks Jack

I'm not quite sure how to take this as there are so many tongue in cheek slights about both myself and the gun - which as I don't recall meeting you or you actually having owned one of these is a bit confusing to me

I don't see what this contributed to the post? but fair play, your entitled to an opinion based on the car I drive , it just all seem a bit "off".

Safe shooting.

James
    Hi James,

How strange to take a tongue in cheek critique of the Rosso as a personal effront - especially when so much was accompanied by smilies!

To state that it was in any way related to your car or intended as a slight against you is actually quite bemusing.

I asked what I felt were sensible questions, which you avoided answering: as to whether it was actually any better than some of the other rifles you had owned? I also commented that the groups you were achieving with it (rested and indoors) were in fact not as good as you appeared to be making out in your review. I'm convinced that many other rifles would actually outperform it easily.

Those points above were exactly what I was adding (attempting to add) to the post in all honesty and I apologise sincerely for making those additions to subtle.

My comment about shooting it in the back garden was meant to indicate that it's best hidden and I only say that to pull that hideous (MY opinion) red case and monstrosity of a rifle (MY opinion) out of the boot of a damn pretty car didn't seem quite right - to paraphrase you "a bit off" ...... as in fact is Daystate's price for it ...... not merely a bit off but as monstrous as the design.

I really don't know where Daystate are going with their "marmite" LE rifles but one thing I'm sure of is that genuine users (rather than collectors) of these products must be getting tired of the rip-off prices; I know I am.

James please consider that if one can't accept a little (frivolous) criticism of a rifle, nor see the humour in a critique, then It's probably best one posts no reviews at all.

Flintlocks at dawn young man?

Jack
    Last edited by Jackspratt; 18-04-2018 at 11:00 PM.
    Steyr LG 110 2014; Steyr Pro X; Anschutz 9015 HP ; SCR Exile .177; FX X barrel .177 Aeron Streamline; Daystate Delta Wolf .177; Tau-Brno MK300 .177; Sportsmatch GC2 mk3 .177

James ,
    My two penneth ,
    Are you happy with your purchase ? ..... yes
    Is it accurate ? .yes
    Does it look good ? it's ok but might look better in another colour
    Does it make you happy ? yes
    Do you enjoy shooting it ? .obviously
    Is it anybody else's business how you spend your money ? ...... no
    So get out there , enjoy it , and ignore any negative comments .
    Your choice , your money ,
    Am I jealous ? . possibly
    Seriously enjoy it , life's too short

Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    James ,
    My two penneth ,
    Are you happy with your purchase ? ..... yes
    Is it accurate ? .yes
    Does it look good ? it's ok but might look better in another colour
    Does it make you happy ? yes
    Do you enjoy shooting it ? .obviously
    Is it anybody else's business how you spend your money ? ...... no
    So get out there , enjoy it , and ignore any negative comments .
    Your choice , your money ,
    Am I jealous ? . possibly
    Seriously enjoy it , life's too short
    Thanks Alan

I didn't become a success in life by listening to all the negatives, and I'm not going to start now.

You can have a play with it on Sunday!

James

Tha must av moor brass than sense.