Evening chaps, I've had a few issues lately with with primer/primer pocket dimensions so apologies in advance for all the questions!

Ok, so I'll start from the beginning. I primed 100 Norma .223 (once fired) cases with CCI small rifle primers, but noticed the majority of the primers sat proud of the case head by anything from .001"-.005". I chambered a few primed cases in my rifle (firing pin removed) and got a little witness mark where the bolt face closed on the primer, and the extra pressure could be felt when closing the bolt. Not happy with this so knocked all the primers out.

Looked up this page online for SAAMI primer pocket dimensions:

https://ballistictools.com/articles/...d-diameter.php

Measured the depths of my primer pockets which were all between .118"-.119", so they were in tolerance, but on the shallower end. Measured height of 100 primers and got sizes from .119"-.124". Still within tolerance but no wonder they won't sit flush in my cases, right?...

...So, I buy a primer pocket uniforming tool. This cuts the pockets out to a rather disappointing .120" deep. So with my primer pockets "uniformed" the primers still have no chance of sitting below flush.

So I'm left thinking:

1. the primer pocket uniformer should surely be cutting deeper, towards the top end of the limit (.123")?
2. CCI are inconsistent and cr@p and I need to look for a new brand of primer that are shorter?

Here's the bit that makes no sense to me: The max tolerance for the primer pocket depth is .123" but the max primer height is .126"?? Who the hell came up with those tolerances?!? So even with the pocket cut to full depth a primer at max height tolerance is impossible to sit flush.

At the moment I've no chance of success with the setup I've got so don't know whether to return the primer pocket uniformer tool or try different primers which average out below .120" (hopefully these exist).

I've got a load of brand new Lapua brass and all those primer pockets measured around .119" too, so the batch of CCI primers I have wouldn't fit those either.

Thanks for taking the time to read all that, hopefully it makes sense. Any advice much appreciated!

Cheers
Greg