Quote Originally Posted by zx10mike View Post
if your primer uniforming tool can not be adjusted that is poor ,the k&m one can and i would recomend k&m gear highly .but i also rate cci primers.
Thanks for the reply. I got the Lyman tool. It isn't adjustable but I deliberately chose a preset one. The words "adjustable" and "uniform" seemed a bit of a contradiction to me. I'm not saying it was the best choice (evidently it wasn't!) but I'll look at the K&M tool, thanks for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by CROWMAN View Post
Hello,

I wish that I could provide the answer to your problem.

It's very strange, I have loaded many, many thousands of rounds using CCI primers, 100% for 0.223", a RCBS primer pocket tool and a very old Lee primer "loader", and I have never had a problem like yours.

Perhaps try a new pocket cleaner and another batch of CCI primers.

When you are loading the primer do you find it unduly difficult to insert the primer, pressure wise?

Good luck with solving the problem.
Thanks for the reply. The primers aren't difficult to seat, there's a nice amount of resistance felt when they push in and go to a solid positive stop. Perhaps the primers are a bad batch, there's a lot of variation in them and they're all on the long side. This weekend I'll get some more CCI and try another brand like Federal too.

I refuse to believe that primer pockets on brand new Lapua brass should even need to be cut, the primers should be correctly sized so they sit below flush.

Cheers
Greg