Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Airsporter S, Barrel Query ?

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

BSA Airsporter S, Barrel Query ?

Now I don't possess a gauge or micrometer and my eyesight is slowly deteriorating somewhat but is the barrel on the above "tapered" by any chance similar to the Mercury S barrels ?
    If so, then its only slight but I've recently taken charge of a very nice example courtesy of my good Mate Mel (Chippendale) and the more I look at it, the more it appears tapered to me !
    Its a .22 cal. by the way but thats probably not relevent.
    “An airgun or two”………

Sorry I can't help but can I ask if it was the one on the table at the Bash? If so, I saw it but couldn't see a price. I pondered for about an hour and then when I decided to have another look and find out who owned it, it had gone.
    It is a very nice looking rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    Sorry I can't help but can I ask if it was the one on the table at the Bash? If so, I saw it but couldn't see a price. I pondered for about an hour and then when I decided to have another look and find out who owned it, it had gone.
    It is a very nice looking rifle.
    No, it wasn't that one, not sure who's it was either ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Now I don't possess a gauge or micrometer and my eyesight is slowly deteriorating somewhat but is the barrel on the above "tapered" by any chance similar to the Mercury S barrels ?
    If so, then its only slight but I've recently taken charge of a very nice example courtesy of my good Mate Mel (Chippendale) and the more I look at it, the more it appears tapered to me !
    Its a .22 cal. by the way but thats probably not relevent.
    Sorry Guys, got this all wrong, the Mercury S had a slightly wider diameter barrel not tapered !
    Maybe the Airsporter is the same ?
    “An airgun or two”………

From memory, one of the features of the Airsporter and Mercury S models were heavier barrels. My Mk7 Airsporter S has a 16.8mm diameter barrel.

As above, heavier larger diameter, not tapered. Only mk1 airsporter was tapered.
    Been doing some airsporter S'ing my self recently. Mostly with my mk1 in 177 cal trying to get it to group (again).
    Last edited by maximus; 11-04-2018 at 01:49 PM.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    From memory, one of the features of the Airsporter and Mercury S models were heavier barrels. My Mk7 Airsporter S has a 16.8mm diameter barrel.
    16.8mm eh !
    Thought it appeared thicker than the usual Beeza barrels.
    Must say though it looks well !
    Put a few shots through it today, Eley Wasp, and the trigger is quite good, better than most Airsporters I've experianced !
    “An airgun or two”………

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    My Airsporter S carbine has a 16.8mm barrel, like already said it doesn't taper though nor do my Merc S barrels, the Merc S barrels do step up after they get past the breech block.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    My Airsporter S carbine has a 16.8mm barrel, like already said it doesn't taper though nor do my Merc S barrels, the Merc S barrels do step up after they get past the breech block.

Pete
    Yes Pete, I was having a very senior moment !

Was the Challenger barrel the same diameter ?
    “An airgun or two”………

For what it's worth, I am sure the S models of both types had a heavier, thicker barrel. IIRC they were straight, not tapered. No idea on the Challenger, I'm afraid, but as it was basically an improved Mercury S, my starting point would be that it used the same barrel profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    For what it's worth, I am sure the S models of both types had a heavier, thicker barrel. IIRC they were straight, not tapered. No idea on the Challenger, I'm afraid, but as it was basically an improved Mercury S, my starting point would be that it used the same barrel profile.
    Could well be right there, I've had two Challengers but I can't remember what diameter their barrels were ?

From where I sit now though, the gun looks great with that bigger barrel, a very handsome BSA air rifle !
    This one's a .22 but I'd also like a rarer .177 !
    “An airgun or two”………

I have a Mercury S and an Airsporter S and yes they are thicker and heavier but straight. As Maximus states, only Mk1's are tapered.
    Ive all of the Airsporter models, apart from the long stocked ones which don't appeal to me for some reason.
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    MK7 airsporter S.? That's a new one on me. I think you just mean the mk7 airsporter with maxi rail and chequered pistol grip which isn't an 'S' model.
    There was the mk1 and mk2 's' models with front and pistol grip chequering, and carbine 'S' all others like the stutzen were special, but not S models. Airsporter 's' models have got 'S' stamped on top inbetween the scope rail after airsporter. This is the same with the mk1 and 2 Mercury 'S' models too.
    The Stutzen and carbine were basically the same action with just a different method of fixing it into the stock.

Fozzy
    Last edited by fozzy45; 12-04-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy45 View Post
    MK7 airsporter S.? That's a new one on me. I think you just mean the mk7 airsporter with maxi rail and chequered pistol grip which isn't an 'S' model.
    There was the mk1 and mk2 's' models with front and pistol grip chequering, and carbine 'S' all others like the stutzen were special, but not S models. Airsporter 's' models have got 'S' stamped on top inbetween the scope rail after airsporter. This is the same with the mk1 and 2 Mercury 'S' models too.
    The Stutzen and carbine were basically the same action with just a different method of fixing it into the stock.

Fozzy
    There is a Mk3 airsporter S. It has a beach stock similar to a mercury challenger, maxigrip rail. I bought mine new in the late eighties from JSR for £120. Had a shot with it the other day, very accurate with FTT and doing just over 11 ft/lbs, never been apart.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    There is a Mk3 airsporter S. It has a beach stock similar to a mercury challenger, maxigrip rail. I bought mine new in the late eighties from JSR for £120. Had a shot with it the other day, very accurate with FTT and doing just over 11 ft/lbs, never been apart.
    Indeed there is mate, i did forget about that. I had one myself along with all the others a few years ago before selling the lot.
    Fozzy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124581.../shares/Df8mt3