Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Springer virgin

muzzie is offline Wants something a little...special

Springer virgin

Hi
    I own a HW100KS but want to get a .177 Springer.
    I've got it down to 2.
    HW97KT or TX200HC.
    Both are great rifles.. or so I'm told.
    What are the pros and cons of these 2??
    Cheers for your advice.

Muzzie
    This is the crisis I knew had to come, Distroying the balance Id kept.
    Turning around to the next set of lives, Wondering what will come next .

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi muzzle. Both good guns as you say, but I truly favour the TX (my main springer being a walnut .177 TX200HC). There are many many threads on here on this topic (HW97K vs TX200/TX200HC), so have a bit of a scan and a search, and welcome to the soulful world of springer air gun shooting.

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 12-04-2018 at 02:13 PM. Reason: clarification.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

They are truly both excellent guns, but every person is different, don't rush into anything and shoot as many of both guns as you can, I suggest you make your way down to the boinger bash in June, where you will be spoilt for choice and probably pick up a bargain, there will also be a wealth of knowledge that you can tap into, atvb Daz

Two good guns but myself a older one of the two I woukd look out for which in that case you could also include the hw77 which would be the one I would go for , I woukd much prefer a older 77 than a newer one as with the others,

Quote Originally Posted by muzzie View Post
    Hi
    I own a HW100KS but want to get a .177 Springer.
    I've got it down to 2.
    HW97KT or TX200HC.
    Both are great rifles.. or so I'm told.
    What are the pros and cons of these 2??
    Cheers for your advice.

Muzzie
    Go shoot them both.. & don't forget the 77 in full length & carbine as it kinda is the same gun as the 97 but with slightly different attributes. Then make a decision as you will not get the answer on here. I say this as they are both top guns & either will probably rock your world but as mentioned above everyone is different so you will need to follow your heart with this one. Buy what you really like the look & feel of and don't forget, you can very very cheaply fettle them both.
    I tuned my 77 full length for about £30 including the wet & dry, metal polish and a tinbum kit at the weekend & I tell you what it's totally changed the shot cycle....
    Great guns mate,
    Good luck with finding one that you like
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

25MM HW77K imo .......
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    25MM HW77K imo .......
    That's the one
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

All good advice up above, Muzzle.

All are superb and, as mentioned, it really has to come down to which one you feel suits you best after having tried them.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

muzzie is offline Wants something a little...special
    Thanks for the speedy advice.. I'll start looking for people to pester.
    And also look into the 77.
    Thanks again.
    I'm sure more will follow on to this reply.
    This is the crisis I knew had to come, Distroying the balance Id kept.
    Turning around to the next set of lives, Wondering what will come next .

I have an old 1993 HW77k and personally think it's just the finest example of airgun engineering there is...

However the one piece of advice I would give you is do not buy a modern HW,,,
    you've probably seen some of the QC complaints yourself, HW (or Hull Cartridge) have had their day and have been cutting more and more corners in recent years.

I don't think I have noticed or seen any QC complaints about any of the Air Arms rifles. (that speaks volumes about them)

The old adage still stands though, get the different rifles into the shoulder and fire a few shots to see what you click with.

Good luck!

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Although the HW97K & HW77/77K are undeniably good (esp the 77's with 25mm pistons), I will still continue to champion the Air Arms TX200/TX200HC above all the others, as imho, the TXs really are the very VERY best of the batch.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

You have to try em it's the only way, I like the both of them ,that was my solution.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Although the HW97K & HW77/77K are undeniably good (esp the 77's with 25mm pistons), I will still continue to champion the Air Arms TX200/TX200HC above all the others, as imho, the TXs really are the very VERY best of the batch.
    With you on this Gareth, although I like and own a few nice Vy-rarrks.
    Air Arms continue to manufacture a great range of air rifles to a high standard and are now the only Premier British producer today !

Still want em to do a Lefty Prosport though !
    “An airgun or two”………

i have 2x 97 2x 77 and 2x tx. its very hard to pick a winner. there is nothing between them. the tx is better out of the box but i think the hw 97/77 may just shade it after a decent tune. just pick the one that feels the best to you on shouldering it.

Tx is easier on the eye ... its "fancy" in comparison
    TX can only be loaded from the right hand side (my main bugbear)
    TX has that ratchet ...(out in the field ??)
    TX is better out the box IMO .... can you get a walnut option for a 97 ?
    TX internals are better ....having been inside both ...TX is easier and quicker to get inside ..... TX gets a top hat as std ...(stand to be corrected here the one I looked inside did)

I found all this out .... after I bought my 97 in 2004 .. I still have it ...its awesome ...would I buy another 97 at the moment .... NO
    Would I buy a TX .... mmmmmm .....that right hand side load ... I hold the underlever down with the right hand

Is it me ... am I strange ? ....always tend to load from the left

Hope this helps