Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classic air rifles... 'To scope, or not to scope?"

Just back from a business meeting and made a beeline for the site, to find out how this discussion was developing! I think we all agree, more or less, with the comments.

Bluefan, is your fwb a 22 and, if so, what pellets do you find are best? I have found that Accupells are producing nearly hole on hole at 25yds; certainly, nice cloverleaf patterns.

An accurate rifle does deserve a scope, it is true, because it provides an impression of a precision instrument with its constituent parts working in optimal order. Against this is the satisfaction of success with open sights. Alas, some of us here are finding the eyes are not quite what they were.

BarnsleyBob, perhaps you would let us know how you get on with the FWB open sights. Where, by the way, did you get your gun-rack? I need to find one of these.

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Just back from a business meeting and made a beeline for the site, to find out how this discussion was developing! I think we all agree, more or less, with the comments.

Bluefan, is your fwb a 22 and, if so, what pellets do you find are best? I have found that Accupells are producing nearly hole on hole at 25yds; certainly, nice cloverleaf patterns.

An accurate rifle does deserve a scope, it is true, because it provides an impression of a precision instrument with its constituent parts working in optimal order. Against this is the satisfaction of success with open sights. Alas, some of us here are finding the eyes are not quite what they were.

BarnsleyBob, perhaps you would let us know how you get on with the FWB open sights. Where, by the way, did you get your gun-rack? I need to find one of these.
    Hi Andrew, I bought my rack on flEbay... It isn't posh, just MDF and it came bare so needed staining & the felt pads sticking on, but it does the job... Search 'oldfarmwoodcraft06' on there. I have one of the vertical racks but they do a few different types.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post

Hi Andrew, mine likes jsb 5.52 but will also accept aa field Diablo and falcon accuracy but really does like them jsb pellets . Every time I use it I can't believe my dad got me an 80 instead of one of these. I was not very big at 12 and needed steps to see through the super moonlighter scope a big change from the meteor I loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefan View Post
    Hi Andrew, mine likes jsb 5.52 but will also accept aa field Diablo and falcon accuracy but really does like them jsb pellets . Every time I use it I can't believe my dad got me an 80 instead of one of these. I was not very big at 12 and needed steps to see through the super moonlighter scope a big change from the meteor I loved.
    Thanks for that. I looked them up (JSB Diabolo Exact) and see their weight is 15.90gr, which is not too heavy. I shall see if I can try some of these.

BarnsleyBob, thank you for your info re gunracks.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    I ended up scoping my Airsporter Carbine S and I'm glad I did as it seems to be pretty accurate for a lowly tap loader, at first I used the open sights and really wanted to just keep it on them (I even paid a bloody fortune for them from Knibbs as the gun didn't have them on it when I bought it) but it just didn't seem to be very accurate open sighted (it may have been me) but when I finally gave in and chucked a scope on, it made all the work of getting the rifle done up worth it.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

My approach is to scope rifles that most likely would have been fitted with scopes when new. I think almost anyone who bought an HW80 or Webley Omega immediately scoped it. Whereas a lot of people in that period did not scope things like Meteors or Diana 27s.

For example, my 1950s "Original" Diana 35 is not scoped. That would feel wrong. My late 1970s one is scoped, with a period "Original" brand scope, which feels fine.

Just thinking. If I had a 1974 scope railed Webley Mk3, would I scope it? No, I am pretty sure I wouldn't. So I guess I also think/feel that some guns suit iron sights, whether in terms of handling, looks, or nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefan View Post
    Got to love a fwb it's the law.
    I recently bought a .177 1985 Feinwerkbau Sport 124, specifically to compete in ‘Classic’ HFT competitions at Lee Valley airgun club.

Me and the missus used it today for their monthly Comp and have to say we thoroughly enjoyed it! (She beat me by one point)
    I received it last week and this was the first opportunity to try it out, needless to say it was awesome!
    We shot most shots prone and elected to shoot a few standers as it shoots beautifully from the standing position.

I really enjoyed shooting it with open sights, I use a scoped HW97KT for HFT but shoot a lot of pistols with open sights.
    I find aiming at a target with open sights is almost relaxing when compared to a scope, it’s something to do with just using the naked eye or something but it’s very pleasant. Plus extra satisfying when you hit it!

The rifle is a real joy to use, It’s putting out 11+ftlbs and extremely accurate. It’s nice and twangy in it’s original condition, I just need to find the right pellet and the sweet spot in the trigger adjustment.

Classic & Vintage HFT was great fun, we’re hooked!

Thanks to this Forum for championing the FWB sport, it inspired me to get one.

Matt.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    I think another reason why I scoped my Airsporter was also to aid in finding what was the most accurate pellet through it, the scope helped with the groupings.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    I recently bought a .177 1985 Feinwerkbau Sport 124, specifically to compete in ‘Classic’ HFT competitions at Lee Valley airgun club.

Me and the missus used it today for their monthly Comp and have to say we thoroughly enjoyed it! (She beat me by one point)
    I received it last week and this was the first opportunity to try it out, needless to say it was awesome!
    We shot most shots prone and elected to shoot a few standers as it shoots beautifully from the standing position.

I really enjoyed shooting it with open sights, I use a scoped HW97KT for HFT but shoot a lot of pistols with open sights.
    I find aiming at a target with open sights is almost relaxing when compared to a scope, it’s something to do with just using the naked eye or something but it’s very pleasant. Plus extra satisfying when you hit it!

The rifle is a real joy to use, It’s putting out 11+ftlbs and extremely accurate. It’s nice and twangy in it’s original condition, I just need to find the right pellet and the sweet spot in the trigger adjustment.

Classic & Vintage HFT was great fun, we’re hooked!

Thanks to this Forum for championing the FWB sport, it inspired me to get one.

Matt.
    Ooh, Classic & Vintage HFT?? I didn't know such a thing even existed... do you know if most clubs run it or something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I think another reason why I scoped my Airsporter was also to aid in finding what was the most accurate pellet through it, the scope helped with the groupings.

Pete
    That's a good point actually Pete... I think I'll do my pellet testing with the FWB scoped, then consider taking it off!
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by BarnsleyBob View Post
    Ooh, Classic & Vintage HFT?? I didn't know such a thing even existed... do you know if most clubs run it or something similar?

Lee valley do ‘freestyle’ comps (standing, kneeling or prone, open sights only) for:

‘Classic’ (pre-1986),
    ‘Classic Semi-recoiless
    ‘Vintage’ (pre-1956) .
    And ‘Vintage’ standing shots only.

Normally HFT Targets with 30-40mm kills out to 35yds. You have to touch the peg.
    lvagc.com

Bisley do something similar, with pre-1939 rifles and targets out to 25yds.
    https://www.bfto.org.uk/

Extremely good fun! And not taken too seriously 😊
    It proves quite popular, not sure if other clubs do them.

[QUOTE=BarnsleyBob;7481279]Ooh, Classic & Vintage HFT?? I didn't know such a thing even existed... do you know if most clubs run it or something similar?

Me neither. Nice idea. Sort of 1980-ish FT recreated? Mandatory break-barrel springers, slightly flared jeans, and 66 pattern DPM smocks, with "TV" and mullet haircuts?

[QUOTE=That's a good point actually Pete... I think I'll do my pellet testing with the FWB scoped, then consider taking it off! [/QUOTE]

A good thought. Back in the day (1982/3) when I briefly decided to take the scope off my 127 (and then put it back on after a few months), I was glad I had done my pellet testing with scope on.

I think back then my pellet choices were Wasps, Silver Jets, H&N domes and points, Superdomes and Superpoints.

IIRC, Silver Jets were the best. Or maybe they did OK and looked cool.

[QUOTE=Geezer;7481356]
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnsleyBob View Post

Me neither. Nice idea. Sort of 1980-ish FT recreated? Mandatory break-barrel springers, slightly flared jeans, and 66 pattern DPM smocks, with "TV" and mullet haircuts?

A good thought. Back in the day (1982/3) when I briefly decided to take the scope off my 127 (and then put it back on after a few months), I was glad I had done my pellet testing with scope on.

I think back then my pellet choices were Wasps, Silver Jets, H&N domes and points, Superdomes and Superpoints.

IIRC, Silver Jets were the best. Or maybe they did OK and looked cool.
    That's all good, but I'll draw the line at a mullet!
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Lee valley do ‘freestyle’ comps (standing, kneeling or prone, open sights only) for:

‘Classic’ (pre-1986),
    ‘Classic Semi-recoiless
    ‘Vintage’ (pre-1956) .
    And ‘Vintage’ standing shots only.

Normally HFT Targets with 30-40mm kills out to 35yds. You have to touch the peg.
    lvagc.com

Bisley do something similar, with pre-1939 rifles and targets out to 25yds.
    https://www.bfto.org.uk/

Extremely good fun! And not taken too seriously 😊
    It proves quite popular, not sure if other clubs do them.
    Thanks mate, I'll see if any local clubs run something similar...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

My rule of thumb is that rifles from 1980's onwards generally look better scoped. Thats even though their comb isn't always ideal.
    The scoped look relies on the scale of the scope and mounts used. Some combinations can look awkward when done badly. I can't photo host but this is when I normally show what I can consider my got it right looks fab rifles. My favourite combo is a FWB Sport, Apel Mounts, and an Optima 4x40 scope.

The fashion of the period was without open sights. Some rifles looked better naked than others. The pencil barrels without sights had a certain purposefulness to them.

I have said it for a long time, period scopes in excellent condition will get, and increasingly so, hard to find; get them while you can. Shed loads of tatty ones, or broken ones. The supply will disappear, it is already. Mint rifles is the easy bit.

However, pre 1980, and a few other after, are still a joy to shoot with open sights. But the advent of AGW was the Jap Scope, shoot beyond the farmyard, revolution; so to me important.