Thread: HW45 Sn.363218 Re-Blacken Aluminium

HW45 Sn.363218 Re-Blacken Aluminium

Good afternoon Collectors Corner

After a long break from airguns I have joined the lovely folks at Bisley and started shooting again on a Wednesday, Vintage night with my trusty BSA Improved Model D. Last week I had a moment of weakness and bought a HW45, it had been over painted with sticky car paint so I set to and relieved it of its torrid paint job. I just used Blackfriars and a brush, after I got most of the paint removed the pistol looks like it sure has had a tough life. I intend to get the airgun serviced the with new seals and replace a few hex screws that have been abused in the past.

I am tempted to re-blacken the pistol aluminium body and would like to ask has any one here had a go at re-blackening a HW45 with birchwood casey and how successful was the result?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mfqiuBBSOrO4hE6N2
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/uKJWbc1Sj4IAoB8w2
    Last edited by ateliernorden; 11-04-2018 at 02:19 PM.
    SN No67543

There is a current trend for replica CO2 pistols to have a worn finish from new, usually at extra cost compared to a non-work finish. You have the same effect for free.
    If it were mine I would leave it. I have heard it is difficult to get an even finish with the product you wish to use. I have never used it so cannot verify that report.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Cerakote it, would look better than new and be hard as nails.

Less than £50 to have it done properly, failing that spray it in satin black every couple of years
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

At first I read the last post as creosote and thought that was a novel approach. The 45 is currently with a fabled armourer who is replacing some of the hex screws and looking at the state of the spring and piston washer. I think it will stay in its time worn state for now and practice the art of shooting a decent 10 yard group with the German Boinger.
    SN No67543