Thread: W. H. B. Smith’s old book on Airguns

W. H. B. Smith’s old book on Airguns

Got this old original 1957 Airgun book cheap of the bay and it was kind of interesting. What is interesting to me is you are reading a book actually written in the times contemporary to some of the guns we now collect. The Hy-score Pistol is the “most powerful” air pistol, with a long write up cause it being sold right then. His writing about American guns vs European is interesting given its in the 1950s pre-Beeman. Does anyone know his nationality? Says he worked for a English company at one time?

Yes, great book with a lot of information that's simply not available elsewhere; in particular, on the Schimel, Carbo Jet, American Luger guns. Some serious mistakes, in picture id, but I suspect most of those are from the typesetting.

Been asked this same question about WHB Smith by folks who were actively trying to track him down; as I recall, they had no luck.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Yes a very good and informative book indeed. one of the first books that l bought when l got the airgun bug in 1986. it cost me £25 at the time which was a lot of money, more than l was paying for some of my airguns. you can get it for a lot less now they do reprints on the net now but they are not as good a quality as the old ones.

A citizen of the USA

I got a copy around 1959 I think......we could get the Webleys,Crosman,Sheridan and BSA's. Most of the others I'd only see in Pop.Mechanics!

W. H. B. Smith (1901–1959)
    Works by W. H. B. Smith

Small Arms of the World 141 copies, 1 review
    The book of rifles
    The NRA Book of Small Arms Volume 1- Pistols and Revolvers
    Book of pistols and revolvers
    Mannlicher Rifles and Pistols
    Mauser Rifles and Pistols (Worlds Great Gun Bks Ser)
    Smith's Standard Encyclopedia of Gas, Air and Spring Guns of the World
    Walther Pistols and Mauser Rifles and Pistols (Firearms Classics Library)
    Walther Pistols and Rifles
    Rifles (The firearms classics library)
    Firearms Classics Library: Pistols and Revolvers, Volume I, & Rifles,
    Walther pistols 3 copies
    The W. H. B. Smith Classic Book of Pistols and Revolvers

Got to love the current Crosman in the book is the 140! Pages on the Sheridan SuperGrade that had just failed in the market. Picks of Hahn and Merz holding the newly innovated CO2 160. Lots of pick of the Crosman state of the art factory floor. A real step back in time for $19.

I believe W H B Smith had died by 1962 and agree this is a great contemporary reference.

I just wish all of the Webley material, for instance was in one place as you have to refer to several different sections if you want to read up on Webleys. The same goes for Crosman and the other makes too. Still, if that is all I can find fault with, it demonstrates what an excellent book this is.

John

What fun this book is as I look and there is a write-up on my current acquisition the Diana 50. Of course given the 1957 printing this gun is still in the mix for competitive shooters. In the back of the book extensive testing of these early rifles are done as to power and accuracy. Looks like the Webley MK3 was the one to beat. Looks like to have a proper 1950s shoot-off I need to add the MK3 to my BSA Mk2, Diana 50 and have a three way go?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    [IMG]His writing about American guns vs European is interesting given its in the 1950s pre-Beeman. Does anyone know his nationality? Says he worked for a English company at one time?
    I am fairly sure he was/is an American gentleman. I had Geoffrey Boothroyd's copy of this book for a while (Ian Fleming's gun expert) but I foolishly sold it on. I think there is a reference in the book somewhere to a chronograph at a US physics or military or engineering institute, although judging by the velocities, it was giving low readings. There is also (I think) some reference to a CO2 adaptor for a Mauser or similar rifle, and it is being tested out by some US Army officers in West Germany. There are way too many American airguns and pistols in it for it to be a British author and I think there is some evidence of American English rather than British English in the writing. See if the author uses 'gray' or 'grey' or one of the other easy differences like 'pressurise' or 'pressurize'.

Let us know!

By the way, an Original Diana Model 50 will beat the Webley Mk III and the BSA Airsporter in a competition for accuracy. The one to get is the heavyweight underlever Falke 80 or Falke 90, but I think there are almost none in the USA. Falke sold them mostly in South Africa, New Zealand and in the home market it seems, and there were only about 400 produced in total.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 16-04-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Lovely and important book. He was an American gun writer. I think he passed away not long after that book was published. The book is not 100% authoritative, but is a great period piece.

When I started out in this field, there were the mags (AGW etc), about ten or twelve hard to find books, including WHB's, and stuff you heard from your RFD or mates in the pub. Amazing how much the Internet has increased the volume of detailed accurate info in places like this forum - and of course, the amount of rubbish in online reviews, on Youtube, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Lovely and important book. He was an American gun writer. I think he passed away not long after that book was published. The book is not 100% authoritative, but is a great period piece.

When I started out in this field, there were the mags (AGW etc), about ten or twelve hard to find books, including WHB's, and stuff you heard from your RFD or mates in the pub. Amazing how much the Internet has increased the volume of detailed accurate info in places like this forum - and of course, the amount of rubbish in online reviews, on Youtube, etc.
    I agree this forum has helped my knowledge progress much faster than if the internet didn’t connect us. Actually very important for a collector in the US given the vintage market isn’t really appreciated as much here, at least not to the extent it is in the U.K.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I am fairly sure he was/is an American gentleman. I had Geoffrey Boothroyd's copy of this book for a while (Ian Fleming's gun expert) but I foolishly sold it on. I think there is a reference in the book somewhere to a chronograph at a US physics or military or engineering institute, although judging by the velocities, it was giving low readings. There is also (I think) some reference to a CO2 adaptor for a Mauser or similar rifle, and it is being tested out by some US Army officers in West Germany. There are way too many American airguns and pistols in it for it to be a British author and I think there is some evidence of American English rather than British English in the writing. See if the author uses 'gray' or 'grey' or one of the other easy differences like 'pressurise' or 'pressurize'.

Let us know!

By the way, an Original Diana Model 50 will beat the Webley Mk III and the BSA Airsporter in a competition for accuracy. The one to get is the heavyweight underlever Falke 80 or Falke 90, but I think there are almost none in the USA. Falke sold them mostly in South Africa, New Zealand and in the home market it seems, and there were only about 400 produced in total.
    I actually had a chance to buy a Falke 80 over here about 6 months ago. I knew it was rare but I really like prestine examples and it was not. Had replaced screws in the forestock and that made me wonder what else? Just knew that would drive me nuts. As soon as it’s warm the Diana and the BSA are going at it.