Thread: Bluing cleaner and polish.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

Bluing cleaner and polish.

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a bluing cleaner and polish, I bought some white creamy stuff (don't get carried away now) from Welsh Willy a few years ago which was called 'stock and blue polish' and it really brought haggard bluing back to life, you'd just wipe some over the bluing and the cloth would be brown from all the muck lifted from the bluing, unfortunately Will can't get anymore as the company that made it went under, so just wondered if there was an alternative?

Cheers

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Try Ballistol, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Try Ballistol, Pete.
    Thanks David, I'll have a look

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Try Ballistol, Pete.
    It works for me. It even used to clean the small amount of rust out of the cocking grip on my TX after a long session.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    It works for me. It even used to clean the small amount of rust out of the cocking grip on my TX after a long session.
    Which product are you using as all I can see is oil or is that what I'm supposed to be looking at?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Which product are you using as all I can see is oil or is that what I'm supposed to be looking at?

Pete
    Yes, I just use the standard Ballistol on a soft cloth.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    Yes, I just use the standard Ballistol on a soft cloth.
    Right ok, I'll have a look out for that then, I know the oil I use at the moment gets a certain amount of rust off as the cloth is brown afterwards but the stuff I got from Will really got rid of rust spots and brown tinges you could see in the blue when held up in the light, which I can still see in the bluing on the underlever on the rifle I've just bought.

Pete

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Unobtainable now I would imagine but I use a pot of gun blue paste which I bought from the Webley Custom Shop years ago. Its fine for touching up scratches and small knocks but not large areas. I apply it with a cotton bud, let it dry then wipe the area with Ballistol.
    Works fine !
    its getting on for 15 years old and drying out a little now though.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Unobtainable now I would imagine but I use a pot of gun blue paste which I bought from the Webley Custom Shop years ago. Its fine for touching up scratches and small knocks but not large areas. I apply it with a cotton bud, let it dry then wipe the area with Ballistol.
    Works fine !
    its getting on for 15 years old and drying out a little now though.
    It's not for damaged bluing, this stuff was like a polish you rubbed it into the bluing and the amount of crap that came off was amazing, it would also sort out rust spots as well, I used the last bit of it on my Supersport as the bluing was looking awful and it's brought it back to life, there's still a bit of pitting that a reblue would sort out but for now it's acceptable.

Pete

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    It's not for damaged bluing, this stuff was like a polish you rubbed it into the bluing and the amount of crap that came off was amazing, it would also sort out rust spots as well, I used the last bit of it on my Supersport as the bluing was looking awful and it's brought it back to life, there's still a bit of pitting that a reblue would sort out but for now it's acceptable.

Pete
    Sounds like a really useful product Pete !
    “An airgun or two”………

What polish ?

Sounds like T Cut to me !

Quote Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
    Sounds like T Cut to me !
    Nope not T cut, I used to sell a lot of that in my younger days, I don't think T cut would do the bluing any good as it would probably be too abrasive as it's designed to be a mild cutting compound and not officially a polish.

Pete

Have you tried Duraglit wadding, Pete. ?
    It used to be available for cleaning and polishing different ferrous and non ferrous metals, but I would have thought the standard metal polish might do the job.
    I've used the old faithful 00000 gauge steel wool lubricated with 3 in one for the same job in the past.

I think T Cut , Brasso ,Tooth paste and the like all use Chalk as the abrasive compound .