Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New cabinet, keys stay in when open, key solutions?

New cabinet, keys stay in when open, key solutions?

Hi folks. I got myself a new 6 gun cabinet and I'm wondering if anyone here has a solution to this problem.
    The key must stay in the lock to open the cabinet. There are 2 keys, roughly 18" apart. This means I need to take one key off the keyring in order to open the cabinet, unless someone has a secure, stretchy keyring solution for me?
    Donald

Get a spare set cut😉
    Les

I've got the spares planked.. maybe a quick release keyring for one of the keys? Something secure though.
    Donald

My brattonsound let's you take the key out when it's open.

Get one of the split type keyrings.

You know, I've got some snap lanyards at work that will do the job perfectly. I was just hoping for something more elegant!
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    You know, I've got some snap lanyards at work that will do the job perfectly. I was just hoping for something more elegant!
    This type https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CAJN9...a-420790099173

They use those at work on the van keys... I don't like them.. I've had a couple cone apart in my pocket. This is what I'm going to pickup from work..they cone free with every beko cooker!!
    https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Spring-.../dp/B0049DO6FE
    Donald

Get on to your supplier and ask for a change of locks on the basis they are broken / not fit for purpose / not as advertised etc as appropriate.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by copperjacket View Post

Get on to your supplier and ask for a change of locks on the basis they are broken / not fit for purpose / not as advertised etc as appropriate.
    ^^^^ This ^^^^ as have never experienced such myself (although stand by to be informed that your key extraction 'problem' is some sort of new SECURITY initiative ??? ) ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Do they have to be turned at exactly the same time why not just keep one on you and leave one in the area where the cabinet is ,a drawer or hang on a hook !

On my vault locking cabinet the key stays in the lock, but on my twin lock cabinet they can be removed so that you can open the second lock

Now there is a gizmo in the fishing world which is a retractable lanyard to hold small items clipped to you jacket, allowing them to be used but still be securely attached, similar things are used to hold ID cards,

see item 121856468995 on the bay, have one key at each end.

Quote Originally Posted by nuggs View Post

Do they have to be turned at exactly the same time why not just keep one on you and leave one in the area where the cabinet is ,a drawer or hang on a hook !
    Because that will not earn you brownie points during a F.A.O. visit, as keys being easily available for the non F.A.C. and/or non S.G.C. holders (tick as appropriate), will not only see you loose your license, but could also result in the seizing of the cabinet's contents, too, as all gun and ammo cabinet keys must be kept in a secure place which only the owner of the cabinet's contents knows the whereabouts of.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post

Because that will not earn you brownie points during a F.A.O. visit, as keys being easily available for the non F.A.C. and/or non S.G.C. holders (tick as appropriate), will not only see you loose your license, but could also result in the seizing of the cabinet's contents, too, as all gun and ammo cabinet keys must be kept in a secure place which only the owner of the cabinet's contents knows the whereabouts of.
    * Obviously the bold above would only be 'strongly advisable', not compulsory, if the cabinet's content were all sub 12ft.lb.

Both keys do not have to be turned at the same time, but they do not turn the full 360 degrees to allow the key to be extracted from the slot. I think this is so you can use they keys as handles to pull the door open.
    I bought it off the bay for 99 quid. I complained to the seller that it was delivered by yodel, left in my front garden when I was out, and the outer carton says '6GUNCABINET' on both sides!!! They messaged me back in decent but not native English, offering me a refund, presumably, for me to retract my negative feedback! Needless to say I have accepted 😁 but am still waiting on a reply!
    Btw the one I bought does not say bs7558/92, but I found other, totally identical ones that do say they meet the bs.
    It definitely looks like it would resist a gypsy's mate and a lump hammer for more than 5 minutes!
    Donald

russian sniper is offline 1982 Sausage roll and cider gargling regional finalist
    If you get a refund - change the locks yourself so you can remove the key once open