Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New cabinet, keys stay in when open, key solutions?

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    ^^^^ This ^^^^ as have never experienced such myself (although stand by to be informed that your key extraction 'problem' is some sort of new SECURITY initiative ??? ) ...
    Key-retaining safe locks are not uncommon, but not a particularly good idea on a safe with two locks.
    Why not just put the keys on separate rings on a carabiner?
    Good deals with these members

As mentioned already a carabiner would work, or this kind of thing looks good:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-A...dp/B076F5LKHC/

Quote Originally Posted by Loki_79 View Post
    As mentioned already a carabiner would work, or this kind of thing looks good:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-A...dp/B076F5LKHC/
    That's a nice little keyring!!!!
    Donald

I have My safe keys on a key ring . I open the single lock then to use the internal top of cupboard lock I first lock the cabinet ( open ) take the key out and then open the lock on the internal cupboard .

Paul

Ahhhh silly Me , 2 key cabinet , dohhhh

Paul

I asked a question like this on another forum and was told.

The farmer brings the chicken across. Goes back and brings the fox across, and brings the chicken back with him to the other side of the river and drops off the chicken, then he goes and brings the corn sack across, and finally he goes back for the chicken and brings it across.

Because that will not earn you brownie points during a F.A.O. visit, as keys being easily available for the non F.A.C. and/or non S.G.C. holders (tick as appropriate), will not only see you loose your license, but could also result in the seizing of the cabinet's contents, too, as all gun and ammo cabinet keys must be kept in a secure place which only the owner of the cabinet's contents knows the whereabouts of.
    one key would be hid either in a drawer as stated or Just hide the hook and hang the key there ! If anyone was to find that key they still wouldn’t be able to gain entry without the other key ! Sounds safe to me .

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by nuggs View Post

one key would be hid either in a drawer as stated or Just hide the hook and hang the key there ! If anyone was to find that key they still wouldn’t be able to gain entry without the other key ! Sounds safe to me .
    Seriously? For F.A.C.? Sorry, and not wanting to appear rude or dismissive, but what it sounds like to you is of no consequence, as it is how it appears to the inspecting F.A.O. Police Officer who has to check Home Office F.A.C. Guide lines are properly -- and strictly -- adhered to, and these guide lines stipulate that keys are to kept completely separate from a gun safe and in a secure place which only the F.A.C. holder/applicant knows about ...

Be my guest, apply for an F.A.C. and argue the toss with the inspecting officer who has the power to say Yaee or naee to your application, but I guarantee that if you refuse to capitulate, you'll not be granted an F.A.C., and if it is a renewal inspection where you try to argue your point and refuse to capitulate, do make sure all your F.A.C. and/or S.G.C. rated guns are all wrapped and ready to go, because you'll be saying bye bye to them as the inspecting F.A.O. leaves your address (lol ).

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Seriously? For F.A.C.? Sorry, and not wanting to appear rude or dismissive, but what it sounds like to you is of no consequence, as it is how it appears to the inspecting F.A.O. Police Officer who has to check Home Office F.A.C. Guide lines are properly -- and strictly -- adhered to, and these guide lines stipulate that keys are to kept completely separate from a gun safe and in a secure place which only the F.A.C. holder/applicant knows about ...

Be my guest, apply for an F.A.C. and argue the toss with the inspecting officer who has the power to say Yaee or naee to your application, but I guarantee that if you refuse to capitulate, you'll not be granted an F.A.C., and if it is a renewal inspection where you try to argue your point and refuse to capitulate, do make sure all your F.A.C. and/or S.G.C. rated guns are all wrapped and ready to go, because you'll be saying bye bye to them as the inspecting F.A.O. leaves your address (lol ).
    Seriously ?Be my guest ? Read my post again and tell me how hiding one key and keeping the other on you is less secure than hiding both keys or keeping both on you?... infact if you put both keys in the same place and were
    found by someone other than the F.A.C holder they would have direct access to the cabinet ! So really my suggestion of keeping the keys seperate is more secure than what is actually required ! And that stipulates that keys are to be kept completely seperate from a gun safe and only the f.a.c holder knows about.

Seriously ?Be my guest ? Read my post again and tell me how hiding one key and keeping the other on you is less secure than hiding both keys or keeping both on you?... infact if you put both keys in the same place and were
    found by someone other than the F.A.C holder they would have direct access to the cabinet ! So really my suggestion of keeping the keys seperate is more secure than what is actually required ! And that stipulates that keys are to be kept completely seperate from a gun safe and only the f.a.c holder knows about.
    Sorry I forgot to add lol.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    This is a normal feature of many "security" locks - helps to prevent the keys being left in the lock. The non removal feature is usually contrived by a ward in the keyhole. It is a simple matter to remove ONE lock and file down the ward. This way one lock is non retaining but the other still is. This is exactly what I have done. Just means that you have to open toe correct lock first.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    This is a normal feature of many "security" locks - helps to prevent the keys being left in the lock. The non removal feature is usually contrived by a ward in the keyhole. It is a simple matter to remove ONE lock and file down the ward. This way one lock is non retaining but the other still is. This is exactly what I have done. Just means that you have to open toe correct lock first.
    Thanks for that very useful bit of advice... I'll look into that... and u think I'll close this thread now as I think it's run it's course.. cheers lads
    Donald

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Sorry I forgot to add lol.
    No worries as it's all in good banter, but don't put your considered argument just to me, or we on the BBS, as no matter how well thought through it may be (which it does seem to be I may ad), we can't change squat, as the folk you need to convince are the collected Chief Police Commissioners of all the Police Forces in England and Wales, and the relevant quangos aligned to the Home Secretary (and good luck with that lot, lol ). Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.