Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I want a .177...?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    As more action inertia needs to be generated to propel a .177 pellet around the 11ft.lb mark than is needed to propel a .22 pellet to the same power lever (best way to explain this is the physics of how much energy do you need to exert to throw a light cotton wool ball twenty feet compared to the energy you would need to exert to throw a pebble the same distance), a lighter rifle will absorb less of the .177 inertia energy than a heavier one.

This is why in my not inconsiderable experience that I proffer light rifles like the BSA Mercury, Airsporter and Super Sport (plus all the BSA Lightening derivatives) are simply ghastly to shoot in .177 compared to the same guns in .22 (Webly Vulcans and all derrivatives therein fit this model, imho, too).

Upper end quality -- and more weighty -- springer air rifles like the HW97K, HW80/80K, HW77/77K, HW98, AA TX200/200HC and AA ProSports are more than capable of absorbing and naturally damping down the aforementioned extra inertia generated by full hop .177 actions however, which is why ALL as I have detailed in this paragraph are such a joy to shoot in any calibre sub 12ft.lb (my very personal favourite off the list being the AATX200HC .177 ).

So go on, treat yourself, and get yourself a 'Super Springer' off the above list in .177, as you will not regret it (but do remember to use a Dampa mount for your scope, too, as I swear by these for all springers). Hope this helps? Atb: G.

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 13-04-2018 at 07:22 PM.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Can't argue with that Gareth.
    I think carbine barrels on .177's don't help either as it's another power drain that requires the action to work just a bit harder for the same result. My .177 lightning was appalling for all those reasons (and more, but don't get me started again).

My .177 95k is a bit better behaved (but doesn't shoot as nice as my .22 95), and my .177 LGV C U is very very well behaved indeed, but then it weighs a ton. A 98 should be a nice compromise.

As long as you don't try to have a tiny little featherweight carbine doing 11.99 ft/lb, you can have a nicely shooting .177.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post

Can't argue with that Gareth.
    I think carbine barrels on .177's don't help either as it's another power drain that requires the action to work just a bit harder for the same result. My .177 lightning was appalling for all those reasons (and more, but don't get me started again).

My .177 95k is a bit better behaved (but doesn't shoot as nice as my .22 95), and my .177 LGV C U is very very well behaved indeed, but then it weighs a ton. A 98 should be a nice compromise.

As long as you don't try to have a tiny little featherweight carbine doing 11.99 ft/lb, you can have a nicely shooting .177.
    Thank you; good point; agreed --.177 springer BSAs are seriously impeded; again agreed (am quite a fan of the HW95K in both cals); yes the LGV and LGU should both be on my quality rifle list as above; yep the HW98 in .177 is a perfect compromise, and again yep, 100% agree. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Why not consider. 20?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Anothermiss View Post
    Why not consider. 20?
    Pellet choice mainly or am I out of date with the selection available?
    (I didn't want to be compromised by having to work with less than optimal pellets or finding they were suddenly hard to get hold of)

Plus I don't know many with experience of the calibre...

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post

Pellet choice mainly or am I out of date with the selection available?
    (I didn't want to be compromised by having to work with less than optimal pellets or finding they were suddenly hard to get hold of)

Plus I don't know many with experience of the calibre...
    Agreed. Am most fond of my .20s, but imho, sub 12ft.lb off ticket, regarding any of the lovely rifles I have previously listed, .177 is King.

There are fewer. 20 pellets available, true. But then there are only quality. 20 pellets available.
    How many of the. 22 and. 177 pellets available are actually any good.
    If you did opt for. 20 and the gun won't group, take it back. It has to be fit for purpose.

I shoot all 3 calibres but. 20 gets the most use by quite a long way.

I am solely a hunter and all are sub 12

Dan

I have a 77k and a 95 in .20.
    Both fine guns but the 77 has the edge I think.
    I prefer them to .177 models.

H&N ftt is the pellet they like.
    Just buy a few thousand so you won’t run out.
    Last edited by gingernut; 14-04-2018 at 06:20 PM.

I have a BSA Lightning .22 to which I've fitted a .177 barrel.
    I really like it in .177. It's only producing about 8.5 fpe, but that's enough for my shooting; target practice up to 35 yards, and garden plinking. The trajectory is surprisingly flat (better than the .22 trajectory at about 10.5 fpe) and the behavior of the gun is very nice.
    It has been fitted with a Welsh Willy kit (Titan spring), which also helps.
    Lastly, the Lightning is a nice and light rifle. It is an older version.
    Cheers, Louis

Like my 98 in .177 it's my second fave after a prosport .177 both accurate not harsh on recoil and could be 30 + years in construction but the underlever gives me no issues. My only issue is that as a southpaw it's a few quid to CS for a stock.

TX200/std...
    .22 S410...
    .22 Webley Xocet...
    .22 HW95k...

This may come across blunt but I don't mean it in that way. " if your a good shot, you can shoot anything"
    Atb

Quote Originally Posted by Custard1 View Post
    This may come across blunt but I don't mean it in that way. " if your a good shot, you can shoot anything"
    Atb
    True, but they don't race Morris Minors in F1.

ive always had 22,but tried a 177 and could not fault it

Which springer

Whilst the HW98 is a fine rifle in it's own right I would opt for a HW35 with it's shorter stroke for a break barrel
    target rifle in .177 of course .