Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I want a .177...?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post

Hi Gareth
    Do not todays glass etched reticles negate the need for something like this?
    Quite possibly, yes, but for the sake of the extra £20 on top of the cost of regular quality mounts, I will always top my springers with a Dampa, if nothing else, I like the look of them, and having all my springers wearing the same hardware between actions and glass satisfies my latent O.C.D. (lol ).

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Pellet choice mainly or am I out of date with the selection available?
    (I didn't want to be compromised by having to work with less than optimal pellets or finding they were suddenly hard to get hold of)

Plus I don't know many with experience of the calibre...
    Agreed. Am most fond of my .20s, but imho, sub 12ft.lb off ticket, regarding any of the lovely rifles I have previously listed, .177 is King.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

There are fewer. 20 pellets available, true. But then there are only quality. 20 pellets available.
    How many of the. 22 and. 177 pellets available are actually any good.
    If you did opt for. 20 and the gun won't group, take it back. It has to be fit for purpose.

I shoot all 3 calibres but. 20 gets the most use by quite a long way.

I am solely a hunter and all are sub 12

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    As more action inertia needs to be generated to propel a .177 pellet around the 11ft.lb mark than is needed to propel a .22 pellet to the same power lever (best way to explain this is the physics of how much energy do you need to exert to throw a light cotton wool ball twenty feet compared to the energy you would need to exert to throw a pebble the same distance), a lighter rifle will absorb less of the .177 inertia energy than a heavier one.

This is why in my not inconsiderable experience that I proffer light rifles like the BSA Mercury, Airsporter and Super Sport (plus all the BSA Lightening derivatives) are simply ghastly to shoot in .177 compared to the same guns in .22 (Webly Vulcans and all derrivatives therein fit this model, imho, too).

Upper end quality -- and more weighty -- springer air rifles like the HW97K, HW80/80K, HW77/77K, HW98, AA TX200/200HC and AA ProSports are more than capable of absorbing and naturally damping down the aforementioned extra inertia generated by full hop .177 actions however, which is why ALL as I have detailed in this paragraph are such a joy to shoot in any calibre sub 12ft.lb (my very personal favourite off the list being the AATX200HC .177 ).

So go on, treat yourself, and get yourself a 'Super Springer' off the above list in .177, as you will not regret it (but do remember to use a Dampa mount for your scope, too, as I swear by these for all springers). Hope this helps? Atb: G.

Thats why all my springers are fitted with simmons pro air scopes. I have about 7 of the 6-18x40 for some reason lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Anothermiss View Post
    There are fewer. 20 pellets available, true. But then there are only quality. 20 pellets available.
    How many of the. 22 and. 177 pellets available are actually any good.
    If you did opt for. 20 and the gun won't group, take it back. It has to be fit for purpose.

I shoot all 3 calibres but. 20 gets the most use by quite a long way.

I am solely a hunter and all are sub 12

Dan
    There is the .25 also but lobs like a breeze block

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    As more action inertia needs to be generated to propel a .177 pellet around the 11ft.lb mark than is needed to propel a .22 pellet to the same power lever (best way to explain this is the physics of how much energy do you need to exert to throw a light cotton wool ball twenty feet compared to the energy you would need to exert to throw a pebble the same distance), a lighter rifle will absorb less of the .177 inertia energy than a heavier one.

This is why in my not inconsiderable experience that I proffer light rifles like the BSA Mercury, Airsporter and Super Sport (plus all the BSA Lightening derivatives) are simply ghastly to shoot in .177 compared to the same guns in .22 (Webly Vulcans and all derrivatives therein fit this model, imho, too).

Upper end quality -- and more weighty -- springer air rifles like the HW97K, HW80/80K, HW77/77K, HW98, AA TX200/200HC and AA ProSports are more than capable of absorbing and naturally damping down the aforementioned extra inertia generated by full hop .177 actions however, which is why ALL as I have detailed in this paragraph are such a joy to shoot in any calibre sub 12ft.lb (my very personal favourite off the list being the AATX200HC .177 ).

So go on, treat yourself, and get yourself a 'Super Springer' off the above list in .177, as you will not regret it (but do remember to use a Dampa mount for your scope, too, as I swear by these for all springers). Hope this helps? Atb: G.

My .177cal prosport i sold this week was very accurare in .177cal. Its just that bloody uncomfortable underlever i hated to the point i had to sell it. Had a go of the friend who bought my prosport tx200hc in .177cal. Dam that gun was just as sweet to use and a pleasure to cock compared to the prosport. Guess i might buy one to add to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Can't argue with that Gareth.
    I think carbine barrels on .177's don't help either as it's another power drain that requires the action to work just a bit harder for the same result. My .177 lightning was appalling for all those reasons (and more, but don't get me started again).

My .177 95k is a bit better behaved (but doesn't shoot as nice as my .22 95), and my .177 LGV C U is very very well behaved indeed, but then it weighs a ton. A 98 should be a nice compromise.

As long as you don't try to have a tiny little featherweight carbine doing 11.99 ft/lb, you can have a nicely shooting .177.
    My lightning is horrible to shoot also in .177cal. Terrible firing cycle. Vibrates like hell thats why i am sellig it. I find the superstar and goldstar are much sweeter to shoot in .177cal due to the extra weight.

I have a 77k and a 95 in .20.
    Both fine guns but the 77 has the edge I think.
    I prefer them to .177 models.

H&N ftt is the pellet they like.
    Just buy a few thousand so you won’t run out.
    Last edited by gingernut; 14-04-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Thats why all my springers are fitted with simmons pro air scopes. I have about 7 of the 6-18x40 for some reason lol.
    Fancy another ?
    “An airgun or two”………

When Guns International shut down a few years back, one of the air guns they had on offer at a cut down price was a big 'ol HW 90 in .177 Cal.
    Brand new, looked good and I really fancied it !
    However due to its size (pretty big I thought) I passed it by and I believe it got sold quickly after that !
    On reflection, I should have bought it although I did eventually end up with a .22 K version a while later but that eventually got sold.
    Accepted that the 90 is not everyone's favourite ( I'd like a 90TB though) but I sometimes muse about a .177 long barrel version in a well figured CS stock !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    When Guns International shut down a few years back, one of the air guns they had on offer at a cut down price was a big 'ol HW 90 in .177 Cal.
    Brand new, looked good and I really fancied it !
    However due to its size (pretty big I thought) I passed it by and I believe it got sold quickly after that !
    On reflection, I should have bought it although I did eventually end up with a .22 K version a while later but that eventually got sold.
    Accepted that the 90 is not everyone's favourite ( I'd like a 90TB though) but I sometimes muse about a .177 long barrel version in a well figured CS stock !
    Do CS do a stock for the 90 still? Cheers max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

I'm conflicted...

I want a nice quality springer and I quite like the look of the HW98's.

But I am in two minds about the calibre...

I know all the arguments about .177 over .22 re. the more forgiving trajectory.
    I don't actually need the better 'knock down' power of .22 or indeed the better penetration of .177 either as I mainly shoot at targets of some sort.

and here's the but...I've had a couple of cheaper .177 springers in the past - but I've sold them both and one of the reasons was that they seemed to have harsh firing cycles that jarred.
    I have also shot cheaper .22's and they seemed 'nicer' to shoot if that makes sense?

So...are better quality .177's much nicer to shoot than the BSA's of this world or is it a foible of the smaller calibre?

Please feel free to make other suggestions if you feel that the HW98 can be bettered or equalled by anything else under £400 as well
    Hi... I have a 98 in .177, possibly one of the most accurate rifles I have.

If you can do your bit, it will do its...very well

Cheers

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Fancy another ?
    Nope. unless its a 4-12x50 then yes

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Nope. unless its a 4-12x50 then yes
    4-12x40 AO Pro Air
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Do CS do a stock for the 90 still? Cheers max
    Think so but a phone call would comfirm. I'd be looking for a lefty in any case !
    “An airgun or two”………