Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I want a .177...?

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Cheaper .177 springers are often harsh at 12fpe.

Have you ever shot an HW98, 97k, 77k, a TX200 or a Walther LGU/LGV in 177.

If not try to find somebody who will let you shoot one.

If you are strong enough to deal with the weight of them, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. The HW98 is very good in .177 but very front heavy too.

Personally I've reached that stage in life where I prefer a lighter springer in 22.
    You missed the cream of the crop, the AA Prosport
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    4-12x40 AO Pro Air
    How much?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    You missed the cream of the crop, the AA Prosport
    Just sold my walnut one. The underlever is just to painful to use for loads of shooting.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post

Just sold my walnut one. The underlever is just to painful to use for loads of shooting.
    In all honesty? Although a lovely air rifle, given that on some days I will quite easily put a full tin through a rifle on an outing (500 pellets), given that how after a while the edges of the ProSport cocking lever cuts in to your hands, like WIBA, that was a contributory factor for me moving away from a ProSport, and ultimately, going back to a TX200HC.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    In all honesty? Although a lovely air rifle, given that on some days I will quite easily put a full tin through a rifle on an outing (500 pellets), given that how after a while the edges of the ProSport cocking lever cuts in to your hands, like WIBA, that was a contributory factor for me moving away from a ProSport, and ultimately, going back to a TX200HC.
    Thats what i am after at the moment myself gareth.much better gun to live with on a day to day basis.whoever came up with the underlever design for the prosport needs rogering by an elephant i do love my goldstars and superstars also though. But tried a m8s mk3 tx and fell in love

I have a BSA Lightning .22 to which I've fitted a .177 barrel.
    I really like it in .177. It's only producing about 8.5 fpe, but that's enough for my shooting; target practice up to 35 yards, and garden plinking. The trajectory is surprisingly flat (better than the .22 trajectory at about 10.5 fpe) and the behavior of the gun is very nice.
    It has been fitted with a Welsh Willy kit (Titan spring), which also helps.
    Lastly, the Lightning is a nice and light rifle. It is an older version.
    Cheers, Louis

Like my 98 in .177 it's my second fave after a prosport .177 both accurate not harsh on recoil and could be 30 + years in construction but the underlever gives me no issues. My only issue is that as a southpaw it's a few quid to CS for a stock.

Ultimately .22 is more efficient so everything being equal it will have a nicer firing cycle in a springer.

That's about the only positive .22 has.

.20 is simply the worst of both worlds. Unless you have one of course in which case you're affected by the reality distortion field and they are wonderful.

TX200/std...
    .22 S410...
    .22 Webley Xocet...
    .22 HW95k...

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Ultimately .22 is more efficient so everything being equal it will have a nicer firing cycle in a springer.

That's about the only positive .22 has.

.20 is simply the worst of both worlds. Unless you have one of course in which case you're affected by the reality distortion field and they are wonderful.
    I have. 177, .20 and. 22. The. 20 is the go to gun. I have no loyalty to the calibre, except that it does the job best for me. Sub 12 hunting.

If it wasn't the best for the job, I wouldn't use it the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Anothermiss View Post
    I have. 177, .20 and. 22. The. 20 is the go to gun. I have no loyalty to the calibre, except that it does the job best for me. Sub 12 hunting.

If it wasn't the best for the job, I wouldn't use it the most.
    Define best...

This may come across blunt but I don't mean it in that way. " if your a good shot, you can shoot anything"
    Atb

Quote Originally Posted by Custard1 View Post
    This may come across blunt but I don't mean it in that way. " if your a good shot, you can shoot anything"
    Atb
    True, but they don't race Morris Minors in F1.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    True, but they don't race Morris Minors in F1.
    Do you know what f1 means though rob? Unfortunately mm don't come into that catagory other wise I would be religiously watching it lol I'm pretty sure I won't be the only one either lol

Quote Originally Posted by Custard1 View Post
    Do you know what f1 means though rob? Unfortunately mm don't come into that catagory other wise I would be religiously watching it lol I'm pretty sure I won't be the only one either lol
    Yep, but I was trying to be simple.

Ok, so if it were MM racing the you wouldn't say a 803 was likely to beat a 1098 everything else being equal