Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theoben buddy bottle valve removal

Theoben buddy bottle valve removal

Hi just to ask I'm soon going to be changing the valve on my theoben buddy bottle, I will have to remove the old valve which I believe is the standard theoben fitting, Has 3 grooves which I have the adapter, I also have a heat gun if needed, Just wanted to ask what sought of force is needed to remove the old valve, I have a vice which at mo is not mounted to a surface but that can be sorted, I have also got a oil filter removal tool which goes around the filter but I ain't no idea what sort of force would be needed to release the old valve, would heat help in removing the old valve, Any advice would be very helpful, Will be offline shortly but please leave any tips and I will look up tomorrow or when I get back online, Thanks.

valve

Sounds like your well prepared, I personally place the bottle, Valve first into a cup of boiling water for a min or two, My tool is the spanner type which I apply and using a piece of wood give a sharp wack or two on the spanner anti clockwise to undo the thread, I hold the bottle in my hand, Vice is ok as well if padded,
    You are only softening the locktight with the heat. There is already a seal between the bottle and the valve, Repeat if not hot enough. Don't forget to apply locktight on your new valve thread when fitting the new one. Col.
    Last edited by colin g; 13-04-2018 at 03:18 PM.

they are tight and you will need a fair bit of heat around the bottle neck area and a good fixed padded vice and i know it sounds daft but make sure its empty

dave.

if you get stuck call round tomorrow

dave.

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post

dave.

Think he`s in Wales Dave, Unlikely he can pop round, Col. Hows my skan bits coming. Any joy yet.

Thanks so far for the replys, Just leaving now for my last shift, Bad news on my side, The adapter base looks a bit smaller than my other ones , just wondering if this is for the 280 cc bottles, The base if defo smaller, Any one have the base size at hand, Will have to check further now tomorrow, Thanks again,

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post

dave.
    Thank you very much for the offer, That's very kind of you, Just off now for my last night shift, Thanks again

There are differences in the thread size between the 280 and 400cc, the larger being the 400.

thanks for the reply. Been confirmed it's for a 200/280cc buddy bottle. I'll try and list it fir a swap or possibly sell it on. I should have checked and made sure. Thanks again everyone.

Valve now removed, Bit nervous as the old valve was buggered and was jammed somehow which the bottle was still full of air, Turned out only needed a light twist with a grips on the valve opening tool , Theoben type, For it to become loose, Was a good few threads out before the air came gushing out, Thought at first it may have leaked out and been empty after all, I did crap a little though I must say, Anyway all sorted now , Thanks again.

Oooo brave man doing that under pressure, hard men in Mountain ash

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Valve now removed, Bit nervous as the old valve was buggered and was jammed somehow which the bottle was still full of air, Turned out only needed a light twist with a grips on the valve opening tool , Theoben type, For it to become loose, Was a good few threads out before the air came gushing out, Thought at first it may have leaked out and been empty after all, I did crap a little though I must say, Anyway all sorted now , Thanks again.

I can guarantee that if any of us that offered advice knew that you where going to attempt this Job with a bottle full of air then I don't think any of us would have volunteered such information, The valve is stuck shut because of all the pressure behind it, Try pushing the valve again now as you have it out to see if it moves. If its buggered there are still other ways to empty your bottle without taking the valve out of the bottle,
    Glad it worked out for you though but don't try it again, Lol,
    I Just couldn't help imagining the brown trouser moment when the air gave way and you thought,,, OH . Nearly shat meself. Col.

Quote Originally Posted by colin g View Post
    I can guarantee that if any of us that offered advice knew that you where going to attempt this Job with a bottle full of air then I don't think any of us would have volunteered such information, The valve is stuck shut because of all the pressure behind it, Try pushing the valve again now as you have it out to see if it moves. If its buggered there are still other ways to empty your bottle without taking the valve out of the bottle,
    Glad it worked out for you though but don't try it again, Lol,
    I Just couldn't help imagining the brown trouser moment when the air gave way and you thought,,, OH . Nearly shat meself. Col.
    Lol, no joke, The vale had come right out of the top ,A good 5mm or so was popping out, looked like it was ready to burst, And yes you are right, I was advised not to unscrew it, I did clamp the bottle and give the valve pip a tap thinking I would have had some blasts of air until it lost some pressure but no luck , Valve was solid, I clamped in vice and used a adjustable wrench as no adjustable spanned would fit the removal tool, Anyhow thought I would have had to tap it but no just a slight push down and it undid quite easy, quite sure the vice was not needed, Anyhow undone a bit more then applied some fairy liquid and nothing, not even a bubble, Undone some more then more again, about 3 or4 threads showing and more fairy nothing again, a little bit further on the wrench then the sound of air brakes on a wagon , must say my breathing stopped for a short while and that feeling that oh shit,what next, Lucky for me all went ok, I was advised as said above a week or so ago but curiosity got the better of me, Bit late now but what other ways would have been best to go about trying to remove the valve, As said Above the valve nipple was a good 5mm or so over the top of the valve I did hold the bottle onto the floor nipple down and with all my weight try and push it in a little but nothing, bloody solid.

kevG is offline Longest unaltered member...
    easy way is to take bottle adaptor of the gun and then screw that onto bottle.just steady until you get a slow purge of air then screw on more as air flow slows down.you will never push a valve in by hand on a full pressure bottle.
    kevG

Quote Originally Posted by kevG View Post
    easy way is to take bottle adaptor of the gun and then screw that onto bottle.just steady until you get a slow purge of air then screw on more as air flow slows down.you will never push a valve in by hand on a full pressure bottle.
    kevG
    Yes thanks for that info, I did have a bottle adapter here but I've either give it with a load of parts I give with the other guns I sold or I've put it somewhere, One of my other buddy bottles is leaking but its a different type and that will empty over time if I need to change it, That one may even be serviceable but not sure what one it is apart from it being a white plastic valve and the bottle neck has cut outs on side so a spanner will fit it to undo,