Thread: Looking for information about BSF S60

Looking for information about BSF S60

Dear All,

I picked up a BSF Mod S60 today. It was hanging on a wall in a gun shop and looked nice so I bought it. It cost £50 and I don't know if that is a good price or not, but am happy with the rifle. It seems to shoot well but I know nothing about these guns. Have looked at previous posts to do with BSFs and googled about.

So far I know they were made in Bavaria and that BSF went out of business in the 80s.

This one is marked a serial number of A4809, MOD S60, BSF logo, Made in Germany West and what looks like SILS stamped on the stock at the end of the cylinder. Anyone know anything about dating these guns or a little history about the model? Or if you can point me in the direction of any reference material that would be great.

https://imgur.com/a/CDESm

Many Thanks

Andy
    Last edited by colbymog; 13-04-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Probably worth more like £150-200ish. Proper 12 ft-lbs classic 70s/early 80s springer. The shorter 55 got most of the attention, so the 60 and 70 are the less well-known "sleepers".

SILE were/are a stock maker in Italy who made stocks for a lot of guns.

Check out the online "Vintage Airgun Gallery", curated (posh word) by our very own Garvin, for loads of detail and pics.

Is the barrel slightly bent upwards? Or is that impression a function of camera angle, lighting, and/or the device on which I viewed your photo?

BSF triggers can wear to the point at which they become unsafe. Be careful with that.

Someone () on here claims to own a rare BSF65.

This may help:

The '60 is basically a long barrel 55. Pre 1978 there was no windage adjustment on the back sight.

HTH
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 13-04-2018 at 10:08 PM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

The barrel looks straight, I think problems are down to my photography skills. The gun has no rail or milling for a scope. Does this make it an early one or did all S60s lack this feature.

The sight seems to have a very basic windage adjustment.

A few more photos attached and thanks for the info everyone.

https://colbymog.imgur.com/all/

Bsf

It looks like an early model s60 and the really nice thing about it is that it's a 60 N (walnut stock) , not to many of them to be seen .

Rgds Kev

Quote Originally Posted by kevin.ronnie View Post
    It looks like an early model s60 and the really nice thing about it is that it's a 60 N (walnut stock) , not to many of them to be seen .

Rgds Kev
    Hi Kev do you know the production dates of these or how to date this one? Only pics I have seen have scope rails on but I dont know when they added that feature.

Quote Originally Posted by colbymog View Post
    Hi Kev do you know the production dates of these or how to date this one? Only pics I have seen have scope rails on but I dont know when they added that feature.
    Don't know for sure, but most of the German makers (HW, Diana, Walther, BSF) added sight rails to their rifles in the course of the 1950s.

Originally they were intended to take aperture target rear sights, rather than scopes, in response to the rapid growth, especially in Germany, of 10M match shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by colbymog View Post
    The barrel looks straight, I think problems are down to my photography skills. The gun has no rail or milling for a scope. Does this make it an early one or did all S60s lack this feature.

The sight seems to have a very basic windage adjustment.

A few more photos attached and thanks for the info everyone.

https://colbymog.imgur.com/all/
    A pre 1967 without scope rails and basic windage.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    A pre 1967 without scope rails and basic windage.

Many thanks very helpful.