Thread: British Airgun Championships

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Robin - good info!

Is Pam shooting this year ?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I went today.

VERY busy. It was fantastic to see both 10M ranges in use at one time, never seen that before. Not a wedding or ice hockey player in sigth. If only it could be like that most weekends, but sadly not the demand.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    I went today.

VERY busy. It was fantastic to see both 10M ranges in use at one time, never seen that before. Not a wedding or ice hockey player in sigth. If only it could be like that most weekends, but sadly not the demand.
    Maybe if the NSRA events were less expensive to enter they would be better supported?

Cost

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Maybe if the NSRA events were less expensive to enter they would be better supported?
    Kinda agree with Bob. It's not particularly cheap. Think I paid £45. I shot there Friday and Saturday.
    I didn't think it was poor value for two shoots.

There were several range officers, electronic targets. Great facility down there in Bisley. Free parking.

Let's face it, the amo is dirt cheap as well.

I can blow that amount very quickly with a shotgun.

The problem is, if your not a NSRA member they charge you an additional £25.
    That's why a lot of people don't enter.

If they loose that charge, I'm sure it would be fully subscribed like the Welsh Championship always seems to be.

It works out expensive for people in the north, add in fuel costs + 1 or 2 nights hotel accommodation.
    Evo 10 Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by silvershooter View Post
    It works out expensive for people in the north, add in fuel costs + 1 or 2 nights hotel accommodation.
    Even worse for us north of the border

Bill
    AA S200T 10m , HW100T, Cometa 220, Diana 27, Original Mod 6, Gamo compact+center, Rohm twinmaster Top, S&W 586/4+6+8, Berretta 92 airsoft, Blinged crossman 2240, CP88 4", CO2 Uzi 6mm, Air arms Alfa proj .177, Drulov DU10 .177, HW 99s, Hammarelli AP20pro

Sorry folks but it’s time to get real. Take a look a the entry fees for other sports. A “minor” half marathon will cost upwards of £30, the popular events start at around £75. Triathlons are in the range £100-300. If you fancy a bit of competitive open water swimming then be prepared to part with £40 upwards for the privilege of getting cold for an hour or two! All the above fees relate to local events, not a national championship held in a purpose built facility.

That’s before we take into account the expenses for the range officers, equipment control officers, judges and that’s just for staters. They all give their time for free but you have to be prepared to reimburse them their expenses; and they are not generous. On top of that, all these people have already invested a great deal of time gaining the relevant qualifications; it’s not just the NSRA RCO; and probably spent a considerable amount in doing so.

So, looked at that way, I think £45 for a National Championship is very cheap, in fact too cheap. As for not paying an additional fee as a non member, why should I subsidise you?

Rutty

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    Sorry folks but it’s time to get real

So, looked at that way, I think £45 for a National Championship is very cheap, in fact too cheap. As for not paying an additional fee as a non member, why should I subsidise you?

Rutty
    Maybe that is what is needed to prevent the sport from dying?

I remember shooting in the champs when it was at Cardiff and also shooting in the NSRA postal leagues too and there was no need to be a member (other than an affiliated NSRA member of an affiliated club).

Everyone was happy to shoot in the various NSRA competitions then as the only cost was the entry to the chosen competition, but now the extra cost of having to also become a full member drives the average club member away to shoot in some of the many other competitions they can now choose instead - and who can blame them ?

The NSRA should not be seen as an elitist establishment but one that encourages everyone to participate by making it more affordable.

More entrants would provide more income and help to promote the NSRA as the governing body for everyone and not the few.