Thread: Regulating a Daystate Air Ranger

Regulating a Daystate Air Ranger

As above guys i am looking to regulate my Air Ranger as the power curve is little to pronouced for my liking. The gun is 0.22 40 ft ib version and if mods permit it I will probably get a better responce in this section.
    I have seen Altaros from Czech republic selling regulators for my gun. Are they recommended or is there better on the market.

Whilst i am confident stripping and repairing springers and gas rams, there are better people out there to work on my Air Ranger so a recomendation for a good gunsmith to install the reg would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Golf224

I thought these came as standard fitted with a reg , but maybe not for the fac rated one. I think they may not fit them due to there not being much point in anything running more than about 30ftlb.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpsman View Post
    I thought these came as standard fitted with a reg.
    Mk1 had regs but they removed them on the Mk2.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Mk1 had regs but they removed them on the Mk2.
    Correct, and the mk1 was a cracking rifle think it was also a shared platform with the RWS back in the day.

Bit of useless info but if anyone is unsure if they have a Mk1 or Mk2 the Trigger Guard was part of the stock with the mk1 (wood) and a metal guard was used on the Mk2

Had a reg on mine for a whie worked a treat but removed it to fit a carbon bottle with a larger sweet spot
    mine was the stealth type from Taon tunes it goes between the bottle and the action and has a built in fill valve

Quote Originally Posted by golf224 View Post
    As above guys i am looking to regulate my Air Ranger as the power curve is little to pronouced for my liking. The gun is 0.22 40 ft ib version and if mods permit it I will probably get a better responce in this section.
    I have seen Altaros from Czech republic selling regulators for my gun. Are they recommended or is there better on the market.

Whilst i am confident stripping and repairing springers and gas rams, there are better people out there to work on my Air Ranger so a recomendation for a good gunsmith to install the reg would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Golf224
    Myself i would have a chat with Staffordshire custom rifles,

Rob Lane is worth a call. Got one for my FAC Galatian and it is superb.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Ah the old debate on FAC air rifles-regulated or fast flow? My own take on this is quite simple. For a start you do not NEED 40 ft lb. Even using the 21.4 grain Baracuda/Bisley Magnum (which are pretty heavy but probably the best pellet for high power air) I ask anyone to tell me what a 40 ft lb rifle can do that a 30 ft lb rifle can't do other than waste a lot of air!! I have run my Rapid at most power levels and after a lot of mucking about and wasted air I run my current gun-a Rapid 2 with 19" 'Leupy' barrel in .22 at 30 ft lb with a Theoben MFR regulator set to 125BAR working pressure. No power curve, very smooth power delivery and a respectable 4 magazines (48 shots) from the (smaller)280cc bottle filled to 220 BAR. The only rifle that I liked more for FAC .22 air is the Edgun Matador R3 which delivered 40 shots at 40 ft lb with a 200BAR fill which went 'off the reg' at 100BAR. That to anyone who understands regulators is truly PHENOMENAL efficiency! Sadly the Edgun has magazines that stuck in my face as a left handed shooter so I sold it. If the magazines could go in either side of the breech so they didn't stick out so far on the right of the gun I would not have sold it. The Air Ranger is a good gun and frankly if it were mine I would reduce the power to 30 ft lb and stick with the simplicity of the fast flow that you have on the gun already.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Regulating an Air Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    Ah the old debate on FAC air rifles-regulated or fast flow? My own take on this is quite simple. For a start you do not NEED 40 ft lb. Even using the 21.4 grain Baracuda/Bisley Magnum (which are pretty heavy but probably the best pellet for high power air) I ask anyone to tell me what a 40 ft lb rifle can do that a 30 ft lb rifle can't do other than waste a lot of air!! I have run my Rapid at most power levels and after a lot of mucking about and wasted air I run my current gun-a Rapid 2 with 19" 'Leupy' barrel in .22 at 30 ft lb with a Theoben MFR regulator set to 125BAR working pressure. No power curve, very smooth power delivery and a respectable 4 magazines (48 shots) from the (smaller)280cc bottle filled to 220 BAR. The only rifle that I liked more for FAC .22 air is the Edgun Matador R3 which delivered 40 shots at 40 ft lb with a 200BAR fill which went 'off the reg' at 100BAR. That to anyone who understands regulators is truly PHENOMENAL efficiency! Sadly the Edgun has magazines that stuck in my face as a left handed shooter so I sold it. If the magazines could go in either side of the breech so they didn't stick out so far on the right of the gun I would not have sold it. The Air Ranger is a good gun and frankly if it were mine I would reduce the power to 30 ft lb and stick with the simplicity of the fast flow that you have on the gun already.
    Thanks for the replies.

First off Lanes do not make regs for my gun.
    Thanks for your reply Rapidnick, but with a 500cc bottle air is not an issue.
    My gun does not like 21.4 grain pellets so have to use 18.1 Jsbs which at 40 ft lb are running over 1000 fps. I now use a new "redesigned" 25.4 Jsb pellet with a high Ballistic Coefficient, but a pellet this heavy needs 40 ft lbs so i will stcick at the power.

Staffordshire is a bit far from Somerset so stiil looking for a recommend gunsmith who knows his way around PCPs.

regards
    Golf224

Quote Originally Posted by golf224 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

First off Lanes do not make regs for my gun.
    Thanks for your reply Rapidnick, but with a 500cc bottle air is not an issue.
    My gun does not like 21.4 grain pellets so have to use 18.1 Jsbs which at 40 ft lb are running over 1000 fps. I now use a new "redesigned" 25.4 Jsb pellet with a high Ballistic Coefficient, but a pellet this heavy needs 40 ft lbs so i will stcick at the power.

Staffordshire is a bit far from Somerset so stiil looking for a recommend gunsmith who knows his way around PCPs.

regards
    Golf224
    Sorry mate but you don't appear to be listening to people that have tinkered or the voice of reason. Anything up to 32ftlb in 22 is good to go because the magical velocities are between 850fps and 950fps. Your chosen velocity is too high and as a result will always be prone to fliers due to damaged pellet skirts.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk