Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA Spitfire pros/cons.

Quote Originally Posted by xmdx13x View Post
    I've got a Firebird in .22 and I have a hard time missing with it. It's much easier to take out in the field then my S-10 or Rapid. Its had a slow leak for about 5 years and takes about 2 months to empty. I've been pretty consistent now with dry firing it. I also bought a non working Spitfire for $60 I'd like to get fixed but no one in the US works on them. I ended up taking the barrel off and putting it on my Lightning and it's now more accurate then the original barrel, not sure if they hand selected the Spitfire and Firebird barrels but both are take drivers. One thing I really like is the Antibounce device on them, it cuts down on the report and I dont use a LDC. If it holds air and the price is reasonable you'll get a very accurte and consistent airgun.
    Bowket told me that he advised BSA to use the same rifling specs that were used on the SuperTen range for both the Spitfire and Firebird. The barrels are to pcp specs and choked unlike the springers. The service he does on them includes upgrading internal parts to cure all leaks, better barrel lock up and trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by grieva View Post
    Delrin worked for me also.
    I dont think Benelli is talking about the delrin exhaust valve causing low shots if the rifles left for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by hookerball View Post
    Totally agree with the above quote.
    You gotta keep using them or the valve will fail.
    John had to repair mine.

I do like them very much though.
    What is the rough price of a repair if you don't mind in me asking, I quite like mine but its always on your mind if they should ever start leaking,

hi, i spoke to jb last year about servicing mine.It was £120 inc vat which i think is fair but £48 postage picked up and back to you. atb mick

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    What is the rough price of a repair if you don't mind in me asking, I quite like mine but its always on your mind if they should ever start leaking,
    Just spoke toJB. He said most arrive in carrier bags and old pellet tins containing buggered up bits, springs etc. The cost to put back to better than factory standard, not hard to do with BSA QC, is £125 + £20 post and packing if it isnt collected in person. Knackered major items such as barrels etc on examination by JB
    are quoted for as an extra.

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    I did drop if off in person and waited for the repair(a new better replacement valve) then left within a hour.
    The price was cheap as chips.
    I will pm you the price as i do not want to complicate matters.

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    hi, i spoke to jb last year about servicing mine.It was £120 inc vat which i think is fair but £48 postage picked up and back to you. atb mick
    I think the, £120 is very reasonable.

I've done quite a few of these they not the best designed pcp around they do have various design faults the main valve unit body etc are terrible for corrosion theirs a few other glitches but all sortable with the right know how, I've had quite a few bag jobs some just total scrap,
    Personally I would not own one for all the tea in china.

Dave,
    Last edited by DM80; 18-04-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Its obvious you have never experienced a correctly assembled and sorted Spitfire. Many who have, me included, would not agree with your sentiments. They always work better if fully dismantled before dropping into caustic bluing tanks. Its not good for seals you know

Sorted dozens of these in my time and i still think they are the worst airgun Bsa ever produced by a country mile

Dave,

Are you related to Rancid Tom on the BSA*G? You use the same phrase book

Quote Originally Posted by gizwaz View Post
    Evening all. I’ve got a lead on what seems to be a very nice spitfire in my favourite flavour of .177 but know very little about them so wondered if anyone here has any experiences they’d like to share?

I’m getting back into my older beezas and been thinking this would be a nice addition to my rapidly expanding family....

Cheers
    The Smallbore Rifle Association had a Spitfire for testing and evaluation at Bisley and after almost a year it was approved as their preferred pcp trainer replacing the CZ/AirArms s200. As such it would be a worthy addition to your collection. There is more information and photos on the Facebook JB fanpage of which I am editor

Who is JB?

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    Who is JB?

Dave.
    John Bowkett (designer)

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    Are you related to Rancid Tom on the BSA*G? You use the same phrase book
    Has Bowkett got his knickers in a twist again Greenway? Perhaps you'd better run to straighten them quick before his blood pressure rises.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!