Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
This gun is a later example of what Diana called the “model 50/b.” It’s probably from around 1962, but I’d be interested to know if this one has a date stamped on it? The plastic trigger blade is probably original; these were used for a few years in between the earlier solid aluminum, and later stamped steel ones. The earlier solid steel cocking lever has also been replaced by the later heavy stamped one.

Early versions of the 50/b, intended as a dual-purpose sporter/target rifle, used the same stock as the standard model 50, but for a short period they acquired this lovely upgraded wood. It was detailed basically as a slimmed-down version of the heavier 50M stock, that was intended for dedicated match shooting.

By this time, the previous rotating front sight, two-function rear sight, and twin mounting rails had gone away. The sights are the same as the standard model 50 sporter of the day—tunnel-type front, and mostly-plastic click-adjusting rear (also seen on the model 50’s barrel-cocking cousin, the model 35). For target shooting, you upgraded to the optional Diana Diopter 60 match sight on the rear rail.

I believe this may be the rarest version of these target Dianas (possible excepting the first-variant 50M with two-part cheekpiece). Quite a beautiful and desirable air rifle with that amazing stock in my opinion, and this is a VERY nice example!

Dennis Hiller’s book ,“The Collector’s Guide to Air Rifles,” has some excellent material on Dianas of this period.
Wow ! Thanks for the very comprehensive reply, on my rifle. I certainly love it, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another of the many variations of this fine rifle. Sleek beautiful lines and super accuracy - whats not to like

Thanks again for your wonderful reply. Every day is a school day in this wonderful collectors section.

Kind Regards

Andy