Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help IDing Diana Model 50

Help IDing Diana Model 50

Picked up this Diana Model 50 at a Airgun Show today because it seemed so well built with blued milled steel. Love the long sleek look and the totally enclosed cocking arm. Front sight dials different post and the back sight can be converted to opened sights. My confusion is when was this made? The write ups on this rifle are totally confusing! Thanks

https://imgur.com/gallery/NCQ5M
    Last edited by 45flint; 15-04-2018 at 07:10 PM.

there may be a date stamp on or below the stock line near the rear end. Good pick

Yes, nice find. Looks like a 50b, , mid 1960's or earlier and pre- date stamp.
    A very good rifle made when Diana.were at or near their peak quality.

That is a early modell made before they where stamped with the date.
    Must be made in the early to mid 1950's ,the frontsight and aluminum trigger are the things that give it away.

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....ana-resources/

----------------------------
    Frank

No date, just seemed like a early gun just because of the build quality. But need to go to school on the history I thought they didn’t have the Diana trademark after the war and it took some time to get it back?

Dianas were and are a brand name of Mayer and Grammelspacher (Diana) of Germany.

Milbro (Millard Brothers) of Scotland gained the "Diana" trademark for the UK, and the pre-WW2 gun making machinery from M&G as WW2 reparations (Webley nearly bought the machinery, but instead just copied the Diana 45 as the MkIII). Hence UK Milbro Dianas.

M&G was reconstituted around 1950, but had to sell guns in many markets other than the UK. Examples include Original (for the UK, esp), Gecado, RWS, Winchester, etc. But they could still sell in Germany as Dianas.

Milbro folded in the late 70s or so. When the UK "Diana" name reverted to, er, M&G Diana (of Germany). But M&G have continued to sell Dianas under brand names like RWS. And mostly recently Chinese guns not made by M&G as M&G Dianas.

Clear? As mud?
    Last edited by Geezer; 14-04-2018 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Clarity, accuracy

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Dianas were and are a brand name of Mayer and Grammelspacher (Diana) of Germany.

Milbro (Millard Brothers) of Scotland gained the "Diana" trademark for the UK, and the pre-WW2 gun making machinery from M&G as WW2 reparations (Webley nearly bought the machinery, but instead just copied the Diana 45 as the MkIII). Hence UK Milbro Dianas.

M&G was reconstituted around 1950, but had to sell guns in many markets other than the UK. Examples include Original (for the UK, esp), Gecado, RWS, Winchester, etc. But they could still sell in Germany as Dianas.

Milbro folded in the late 70s or so. When the UK "Diana" name reverted to, er, M&G Diana (of Germany). But M&G have continued to sell Dianas under brand names like RWS. And mostly recently Chinese guns not made by M&G as M&G Dianas.

Clear? As mud?
    M&G (Diana) also made some rifles for Webley in England.

Thanks much, I didn’t realize that Diana could still use that name in Germany, so now this makes more sense. Looking at the old brochures it does look like their 50b probably 50’s? which it cool. It’s in amazing condition for a gun that old, kind of a match for my BSA MK2 Airsporter.

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post
    That is a early modell made before they where stamped with the date.
    Must be made in the early to mid 1950's ,the frontsight and aluminum trigger are the things that give it away.

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....ana-resources/

----------------------------
    Frank
    Your thoughts on the trigger seemed to be accurate. I researched the Internet further and found a old post about the Diana 50 (see below). It compares triggers and trigger guards to access the date of manufacture. Below is a picture of my trigger and guard, one small adjusting screw and no hole in the guard. These were the same as the prewar triggers and were probably used up in the earliest years of production.

“The model 50 entered production in May of 1952, and I believe any gun with the small adjuster screws must have been made within a couple years of that date. I would make an "educated guess" your rifle is from 1952 or 1953.” From posting below.

“I believe that these small adjusting screws were actually pre-WW2 parts, that Diana used up in their early post-war production. To illustrate the point further, this shot shows three model 27's. The gun at top is pre-WW2, note the small adjuster screws. The middle rifle shows a later variation of the post-war trigger, with a ribbed face. The bottom gun is a 1980's model 27 with stamped steel trigger.” From posting below

Here is the entire discussion which I quoted:
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/Amer...0-b-t2965.html
    Last edited by 45flint; 15-04-2018 at 12:01 PM.

45flint,

What a beautiful Mod. 50

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Picked up this Diana Model 50 at a Airgun Show today because it seemed so well built with blued milled steel. Love the long sleek look and the totally enclosed cocking arm. Front sight dials different post and the back sight can be converted to opened sights. My confusion is when was this made? The write ups on this rifle are totally confusing! Thanks

https://imgur.com/gallery/uRjat
    I agree that the rifle was probably made in the 1952-1954 period. I can’t prove it, but have a hunch those small adjuster screws could have been leftover pre-war parts; at any rate the small screws and smooth-faced trigger pre-date the later styles.

That model was usually sold as the “Model 50/b.” it combined the same stock used on the basic sporter 50 with that marvelous two-function sight. Without the peep attachment, it was sold as the “Model 50/a,” and later the target action was sold in a heavier stock as the “Model 50M.”

That is a FANTASTIC example, by the way, those old model 50’s are seldom seen in such condition. Those guns are highly sought after in Germany; I recently saw a slightly later 50/b (similar to the one in my old post you quoted), but in lesser condition, sell for almost 800 Euros on the “eGun” auction site.

That rear sight appeared in several minor variations. Some had finger-knob windage adjustment like yours, while others had a square-head bolt that required use of a special tool; some had 10 clicks per revolution of the elevation wheel, and others had 20. Note that the little “stair step” engraving on the side of the sight base, serves as a visual indicator of how many times you have rotated the wheel.

Diana appeared to begin date-stamping their rifles around 1962 or ‘63.

More good info on these rifles here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....iana-model-50/

Curious as to the rubber? Aperture cups that see on some examples of this rifle. On the old factory brochures they don’t appear to be on the guns? Were the sold as an accessory?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Curious as to the rubber? Aperture cups that see on some examples of this rifle. On the old factory brochures they don’t appear to be on the guns? Were the sold as an accessory?
    It is just a shallow rubber snap-on hood. I have four of these sights and all of them came with one. I would assume they were supplied with the guns, but no doubt were also available separately.

Thumbs up

Beauuutiful example Drew. I would give my left one for an example such as that.
    Could you post a clean macro shot of the spring steel keeper that is on the RHS?
    My one that resides on my model 35 is still waiting on that piece to complete.
    Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Beauuutiful example Drew. I would give my left one for an example such as that.
    Could you post a clean macro shot of the spring steel keeper that is on the RHS?
    My one that resides on my model 35 is still waiting on that piece to complete.
    Many thanks.
    If your talking to me I’m not sure what your wanting?