Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help IDing Diana Model 50

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    If your talking to me I’m not sure what your wanting?
    I was referring to an image of the windage tension spring on the RHS of the sight. My sight has that part missing and I would want to replicate an identical one

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    I was referring to an image of the windage tension spring on the RHS of the sight. My sight has that part missing and I would want to replicate an identical one
    Maybe this helps?

-------------------------------
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post
    Maybe this helps?

-------------------------------
    Frank
    Thanks if you give me the number of the part, that would help. That’s helpful to me as well I looked at the rear sight plate but have not moved it, I see from the diagram you pull out and rotate it’s under spring tension.

You are a lucky man, 45flint.

Am in the middle of digitizing some old papers I have on airguns, so I searched for you
    And I found it!
    BUT it is from the time you just told the factory : I want part number 27 for a Diana-Mikrometervizier mit Diopter.
    Because there was only 1 such item ...

But here you go:

-------------------------
    Frank

I am confused by these early Diana Model 50's. I recently picked up an older Diana model 50 ( under the Original name, for UK sale), with a hand checkered stock. I am not sure of the date , but reckon it has to be quite early. The rifle does have a plastic trigger with a small screw in, and a single hole though the trigger guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    I am confused by these early Diana Model 50's. I recently picked up an older Diana model 50 ( under the Original name, for UK sale), with a hand checkered stock. I am not sure of the date , but reckon it has to be quite early. The rifle does have a plastic trigger with a small screw in, and a single hole though the trigger guard.

I found these model 50s to be very confusing given many different names, variations. Took me a day of internet searches to feel confident about when mine was made. Does yours have a serial number or date number etched in? Love the checkered stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I found these model 50s to be very confusing given many different names, variations. Took me a day of internet searches to feel confident about when mine was made. Does yours have a serial number or date number etched in? Love the checkered stock.
    Yep, having read this thread, I has a real good look and found a tiny little date stamp just above the woodwork. 04/66 as the date, so april 1966. Funny I thought the graduated "bump" type stocks such as this were a bit earlier than that ?

Great guns these, not power houses, but pretty near to tack drivers. VERY accurate.

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post

That is a FANTASTIC example, by the way, those old model 50’s are seldom seen in such condition. Those guns are highly sought after in Germany; I recently saw a slightly later 50/b (similar to the one in my old post you quoted), but in lesser condition, sell for almost 800 Euros on the “eGun” auction site.

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....iana-model-50/
    I wonder if these are popular in Germany because their laws restrict power to 6 fpe? Chronying mine I was getting about 6.75 fpe a little over, not much adjustment. Could these be grandfathered given they were antiques made in that country? Thus more valuable to them?

These guns where not restricted when new, only rifles made after 1970 where restricted.
    That means the Germas can own and shoot a pre 1970 rifle with more then 6 fpe ....
    The modell 50 was allways popular in Germany and a legal pre 1970 "powerhouse" makes them extra popular and can reach high prizes.
    When you are lucky with a new spring and piston seal (and a good sealing loading tap) they can reach 10 fpe.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post
    These guns where not restricted when new, only rifles made after 1970 where restricted.
    That means the Germas can own and shoot a pre 1970 rifle with more then 6 fpe ....
    The modell 50 was allways popular in Germany and a legal pre 1970 "powerhouse" makes them extra popular and can reach high prizes.
    When you are lucky with a new spring and piston seal (and a good sealing loading tap) they can reach 10 fpe.

Frank
    Looked at a lot of posts and the early model 50’s were powered right where mine is. Later models increased the power a little more but these were never that powerful. Have no interest trying to boost it, my backyards isn’t that long. Lol. But I can see where a pre-1970 gun would have added value there, explains some of those prices.

Thank you for your assistance Frank and Steve
    Last edited by slow_runner; 18-04-2018 at 09:57 PM.

Model 50

I have a very similar rifle, same stock but with the dioptre rear sight and flip/rotating front sight. There is no cheek piece on the stock and the stamping just says Original Model 50. I've always thought it was an early 50M but this is a purely speculative. I'll see if I can get some photos

I would say that the stock pre dates your '66 action. Certainly, that pattern stock is usually seen on earlier models. The trigger blade is probably stamped steel rather than plastic but a cast trigger blade would be more commonly seen in a 50 fitted with that stock.

This gun is a later example of what Diana called the “model 50/b.” It’s probably from around 1962, but I’d be interested to know if this one has a date stamped on it? The plastic trigger blade is probably original; these were used for a few years in between the earlier solid aluminum, and later stamped steel ones. The earlier solid steel cocking lever has also been replaced by the later heavy stamped one.

Early versions of the 50/b, intended as a dual-purpose sporter/target rifle, used the same stock as the standard model 50, but for a short period they acquired this lovely upgraded wood. It was detailed much as a slimmed-down version of the heavier 50M stock.

By this time, the previous rotating front sight, two-function rear sight, and twin mounting rails had gone away. The sights are the same as the standard model 50 sporter of the day—tunnel-type front, and mostly-plastic click-adjusting rear (also seen on the model 50’s barrel-cocking cousin, the model 35). For target shooting, you upgraded to the optional Diana Diopter 60 match sight on the rear rail.

I believe this may be the rarest version of these target Dianas (possibly excepting the first-variant 50M with two-part cheekpiece). Quite a beautiful and desirable air rifle with that amazing stock in my opinion, and this is a VERY nice example!

Dennis Hiller’s book ,“The Collector’s Guide to Air Rifles,” has some excellent material on Dianas of this period.
    Last edited by MDriskill; 20-04-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    This gun is a later example of what Diana called the “model 50/b.” It’s probably from around 1962, but I’d be interested to know if this one has a date stamped on it? The plastic trigger blade is probably original; these were used for a few years in between the earlier solid aluminum, and later stamped steel ones. The earlier solid steel cocking lever has also been replaced by the later heavy stamped one.

Early versions of the 50/b, intended as a dual-purpose sporter/target rifle, used the same stock as the standard model 50, but for a short period they acquired this lovely upgraded wood. It was detailed basically as a slimmed-down version of the heavier 50M stock, that was intended for dedicated match shooting.

By this time, the previous rotating front sight, two-function rear sight, and twin mounting rails had gone away. The sights are the same as the standard model 50 sporter of the day—tunnel-type front, and mostly-plastic click-adjusting rear (also seen on the model 50’s barrel-cocking cousin, the model 35). For target shooting, you upgraded to the optional Diana Diopter 60 match sight on the rear rail.

I believe this may be the rarest version of these target Dianas (possible excepting the first-variant 50M with two-part cheekpiece). Quite a beautiful and desirable air rifle with that amazing stock in my opinion, and this is a VERY nice example!

Dennis Hiller’s book ,“The Collector’s Guide to Air Rifles,” has some excellent material on Dianas of this period.
    Wow ! Thanks for the very comprehensive reply, on my rifle. I certainly love it, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another of the many variations of this fine rifle. Sleek beautiful lines and super accuracy - whats not to like

Thanks again for your wonderful reply. Every day is a school day in this wonderful collectors section.

Kind Regards

Andy