Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help IDing Diana Model 50

Andy, it’s my pleasure...I’m a big fan of the model 50. It’s wonderful to have this place where my odd little obsessions have an audience!

I’d be interested to know if you found a serial number or date on that rifle. Years ago I briefly owned a model 50 with that stock (still kicking myself for selling it), which was .22 caliber and had “Original” markings. IIRC, it had the solid metal trigger, so may have been an earlier example.

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    Andy, it’s my pleasure...I’m a big fan of the model 50. It’s wonderful to have this place where my odd little obsessions have an audience!

I’d be interested to know if you found a serial number or date on that rifle. Years ago I briefly owned a model 50 with that stock (still kicking myself for selling it), which was .22 caliber and had “Original” markings. IIRC, it had the solid metal trigger, so may have been an earlier example.
    The Stoeger Peerless connection fascinates me as well. I have two prewar Stoegers now, a Tell 2 and a Webley Straight Grip Senior. Did they customize any of the Diana’s or are they just rebranded? I think every gun I buy seems to open up a new obsession! Lol

Date stampings seem to have started late 1966 (reports) otherwise early 1967 (definitely)

Serial numbers not sure when but in some countries such as the UK only later guns and in some cases it appears that the importer (probably) serialised the guns as the numbering is quite amateurish.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Wow ! Thanks for the very comprehensive reply, on my rifle. I certainly love it, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another of the many variations of this fine rifle. Sleek beautiful lines and super accuracy - whats not to like

Thanks again for your wonderful reply. Every day is a school day in this wonderful collectors section.

Kind Regards

Andy
    Mr M Driskill is either the most knowledgeable guy ever on stuff like this, or the most knowledgeable guy ever who posts on the Internet in English about stuff like this. It's great to see him active on here. Mike - please keep it up. I have learned a lot from your contributions to various fora over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    The Stoeger Peerless connection fascinates me as well. I have two prewar Stoegers now, a Tell 2 and a Webley Straight Grip Senior. Did they customize any of the Diana’s or are they just rebranded? I think every gun I buy seems to open up a new obsession! Lol
    Here is a brochure page for Peerless Guns of the period

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    Date stampings seem to have started late 1966 (reports) otherwise early 1967 (definitely)

Serial numbers not sure when but in some countries such as the UK only later guns and in some cases it appears that the importer (probably) serialised the guns as the numbering is quite amateurish.
    Thanks, very interesting!

I want to say I’ve seen a date stamp earlier than that somewhere...but that may just be a memory mis-fire on my part!

The oldest date-stamped Diana that I own is in line with your note: a model 60 match rifle with “06 67” on the rear receiver. Another intriguing detail on this rifle, is that the year of manufacture appears to be appended to the front of the serial number, which is 672301x; in other words the “real” serial may just be 2301x.

I have another very late model 60, which follows the same pattern; dated “08 82,” with serial 823692x.
    Last edited by MDriskill; 22-04-2018 at 11:26 AM.

As seen in Lakey’s post of the catalog page, I believe that Stoeger’s imported only the “high-end” models 35 and 50 after the war. As far as I know the guns were not customized beyond that nice big gold “Peerless” stamping, but I believe all their Diana rifles were in .22 caliber only. I have a Peerless 35/b, and 50M, and both are .22.

Stoeger’s most famous pre-war Diana rifle imports were the model 45 underlever, and its legendary militarized big brother, the model 58.
    Last edited by MDriskill; 22-04-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Hi Mike,

Here is the date on the rifle, it is really small and a little difficult to read, so I cant tell if it is 04/56 or 04/66 ? If they are six's, then they are a slightly different height from what I can tell, which possibly may be due to two different stamps ? See what you think

Thanks for all your info on this rifle

Kind Regards
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Hi Mike,

Here is the date on the rifle, it is really small and a little difficult to read, so I cant tell if it is 04/56 or 04/66 ? If they are six's, then they are a slightly different height from what I can tell, which possibly may be due to two different stamps ? See what you think

Thanks for all your info on this rifle

Kind Regards
    Andy
    Now that’s very interesting, thanks!

I’m guessing “04 66.” I don’t think either date stamping, or the plastic trigger, was around in 1956.

Unless your action is not original to the stock (which seems unlikely to me) then my original date guesstimate is wrong, and this model 50 stock style was made later than I thought. Always something new to learn!

Now that’s very interesting, thanks!

I’m guessing “04 66.” I don’t think either date stamping, or the plastic trigger, was around in 1956.

Unless your action is not original to the stock (which seems unlikely to me) then my original date guesstimate is wrong, and this model 50 stock style was made later than I thought. Always something new to learn!
    It seems to me that the available sources are fairly clear about Diana production of the variants of the 35 and 50 until 1962-63, and equally clear about the post-late 60s versions that lasted until the mid-1980s.

Much less clarity about the transitional 1963-69 period between the high-quality 50s-style guns, and the cheapened ones that we associate with the 1970s.

For your predilection, here's mine. Its dated 10 76 (possibly 78). Serial number is 047832. It's doing a very consistent 5.8 fpe, so I think it must be one of the lower powered versions for 10m target shooting.

https://imgur.com/a/isw0LaU

https://imgur.com/a/1gAPuZp

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    For your predilection, here's mine. Its dated 10 76 (possibly 78). Serial number is 047832. It's doing a very consistent 5.8 fpe, so I think it must be one of the lower powered versions for 10m target shooting.

https://imgur.com/a/isw0LaU

https://imgur.com/a/1gAPuZp
    Graining on your stock is exceptional! Looks brand new. Is it a Diana or Original and what caliber? You power seems in line, these were just not that powerful guns. Mines in the 6 fpe. Here is a interesting video from a guy who does excellent reviews. He rebuilds his 1967 Original with a new spring and seal and gets FPE in the 6’s. He is wondering why it’s not more powerful? I want to tell him he got it right up to factory specs. Lol

https://youtu.be/-lp-FLOtlpo
    Last edited by 45flint; 25-04-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Graining on your stock is exceptional! Looks brand new. Is it a Diana or Original and what caliber? You power seems in line, these were just not that powerful guns. Mines in the 6 fpe. Here is a interesting video from a guy who does excellent reviews. He rebuilds his 1967 Original with a new spring and seal and gets FPE in the 6’s. He is wondering why it’s not more powerful? I want to tell him he got it right up to factory specs. Lol

https://youtu.be/-lp-FLOtlpo
    It's Original .22 calibre, which would suggest that it's NOT the lower powered target version, but it cocks so smoothly, shoots so nicely, and is so consistent power wise, I'm not going to do anything with it. The stock was looking jaded when I bought it, so I have refinished it. Plenty of wire wool, danish oil and a final waxing.
    Last edited by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH; 25-04-2018 at 04:55 PM.

An excellent and informative thread. I knew nothing of the mid 60s match style 50's with the plastic trigger. My understanding is that the more common 70s style 50's and 35's with the pressed chequering and stamped trigger guard, blades came in for 1967, coinciding with the date stamping.

I currently have 2 50's, both dated 07 74 but one has the later S type stock. Not as nice too look at but the stock offers a far better hold for match shooting. It has a Diopter 60 mounted and is a dream to shoot. The best advertisement for a tap loading air rifle ever (in my experience).

In theory, the 50 has enough lung power for 10fpe (Model 35 level) but usually shoot below 8. Hard to believe the tap would rob it of so much power. But a good one will shoot beautifully for it's modest output.

Here's mine

Quote Originally Posted by JACK RATT View Post
    I have a very similar rifle, same stock but with the dioptre rear sight and flip/rotating front sight. There is no cheek piece on the stock and the stamping just says Original Model 50. I've always thought it was an early 50M but this is a purely speculative. I'll see if I can get some photos
    Here's some pics I took today. My rifle has the aluminium trigger with 2 adjuster screws. I can't see a date mark but it's stamped MADE IN GERMANY.
    It's 0.22 and shoots very smoothly. I don't have a chrono so I don't know it's power.
    https://imgur.com/a/ZNVxfcj
    Last edited by JACK RATT; 28-04-2018 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Pics not showing