Thread: 8 bore cannon question advice appreciated

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

8 bore cannon question advice appreciated

Looking for a bit of advice from any BP cannon guys out there.....I'm new to B/P scale cannons but have acquired a few which I'll get proofed eventually and use on the local range. The latest is an 8 bore naval cannon, approx .840" smooth bore, solid cast 13" bronze barrel and already proofed for 80 grains of BP and an 860 grain ball so I need to get a ball mould made up. The thing is I'm not sure if the ball should be patched or not, if so I need to take this into consideration when I order the mould. Can anyone give some advice on this please ? Maybe I should just do the same as if it were a musket being fired although I've never owned a musket.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

found this for you..https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/d...1362674471.pdf
    molds can be made by jeff tanner who may give advice on size with intended patch

Thanks for that. I spoke to Mrs Tanner on Friday, apparently Jeff is unwell at the moment so hopefully I'll be able to speak to him this week.

Email the MLAGB. They have cannon shoots and may be able to tell you if the ball is patched. They may also be able to give you some advice about where to use it as well.

As far as I know you don't use a patch on a cannon ball I think you use wadding between the powder and ball. I could be wrong though.

I like the sound of an 8 bore brass cannon. I wish they had not been mentioned I might be tempted to get one.

I've been advised to patch the ball so Jeff Tanner's son is making me a 0.810" mould, the cannon's bore is about 0.840 so a 15 thou patch will make up the difference. Also having a mould made for a nice bronze .700" bore naval cannon. I'll post some pictures here if anyone's interested ?

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    I've been advised to patch the ball so Jeff Tanner's son is making me a 0.810" mould, the cannon's bore is about 0.840 so a 15 thou patch will make up the difference. Also having a mould made for a nice bronze .700" bore naval cannon. I'll post some pictures here if anyone's interested ?
    You show me yours and I will show you mine!