Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best classic rifle trigger? (Other than Record)

Best classic rifle trigger? (Other than Record)

On the lookout for a pre-1986 break barrel with open sights for the missus to use in classic rifle comps.
    I’ve got the FWB Sport which we share and we both shoot modern Weihrauch springers for HFT.

Shooting a ‘classic’ Old Weihrauch would be a bit too similar to what we normally shoot as we know how good the trigger is. We fancy a bit of a challenge.

Someone said some Meteor’s have a reasonably adjustable trigger, I quite like the old German rifles. I’ve seen some nice old Haenel’s at comps.

Can anyone suggest some with a reasonable trigger please?

She shoots left handed btw but should be alright with a stock with a low comb.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Matt,
    Going by much of the criteria you list there I think you would find the Original 45 fits the bill well.
    Its trigger feel I'm sure ticks the box albeit the blade itself is a steel pressing. It can be adjusted to suit, and the stock is low and ambi. I suspect you would get along with either calibre though .177 in my.opinion just pinches things.
    Do a little research on here on them and some others such as the Anschutz 335?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Matt,
    Going by much of the criteria you list there I think you would find the Original 45 fits the bill well.
    Its trigger feel I'm sure ticks the box albeit the blade itself is a steel pressing. It can be adjusted to suit, and the stock is low and ambi. I suspect you would get along with either calibre though .177 in my.opinion just pinches things.
    Do a little research on here on them and some others such as the Anschutz 335?
    Dave
    Thanks Dave,

Both look Ideal, I have a fondness for Diana, I have a few of their pistols, but the Anschutz would be just as suitable. And yes, it’d have to be 177, although it seems .177 is always a bit rarer with these older rifles.

Much appreciated,
    Matt.

+ 1 for the Original 45. An older Original/ Diana 34 series gun with the TO1 ball sear trigger would also be good. Either can give performance close or equal to HW's.

If you do not require full power, then an old Walther LG or LGV would be excellent. Although Diopter sights are the norm with these. Depends on your comp. rules.

In your situation, I'd be looking at the Anschutz 333 and 335, the BSF S60 and S70, the Webley Omega, and probably end up with a Diana 35.

The Diana 45 is, as has been said, a good choice - but also a bit of long and heavy compared to the FWB Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    + 1 for the Original 45. An older Original/ Diana 34 series gun with the TO1 ball sear trigger would also be good. Either can give performance close or equal to HW's.

If you do not require full power, then an old Walther LG or LGV would be excellent. Although Diopter sights are the norm with these. Depends on your comp. rules.

Thanks, it’ll need to be full power, I think a flatter trajectory would be an advantage with open sights and we shoot out to 35yds.
    (They do a classic semi-recoiless catagory so maybe in the future I’d get a 300s or a 75)

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    In your situation, I'd be looking at the Anschutz 333 and 335, the BSF S60 and S70, the Webley Omega, and probably end up with a Diana 35.

The Diana 45 is, as has been said, a good choice - but also a bit of long and heavy compared to the FWB Sport.
    Thanks,
    I think the Anschutz’s have right hand stocks, so the Diana’s would be more appealing to a lefty.
    You’re right, the FWB Sports is fantastically light. I think the Diana 35 is a bit heavier than the 45, we’ll need to try one to see how it feels.

I’m interested in the BSF rifles, seems they were popular before Weihrauch cornered the market in the 80’s, but I’ve never encountered one. Are the triggers any good?
    I’ll check them out.

Cheers,
    Matt.
    Last edited by ptdunk; 15-04-2018 at 03:01 PM.

The standard 35 is lighter than the 45. The 35 Super and the 45 are almost the same weight. The 35 and the Anschutz are very good guns but due to your no cheeckpiece requirement you are really looking at a 45 of any age or a 34 T01 from 86 to 88 ish.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The best triggers on the older springers other than the Rekord are .....

Hammerli Model 3, Model 4, Model 401, 402, 403, and 420.

Original Diana three ball-bearing release triggers - Model 27, 35, and 50.

Anschutz 335 and 333

These are all near as dammit as good as the Record once set up and the shooter accustomed to using them.

The BSF trigger has a weird kind of hang-up between first and second stage and gets harder to pull with increasing mainspring strength, the Feinwerkbau Sport is OK but not brilliant, BSA triggers are very average, most early Webley triggers are not nice.. the Original Diana 45 and 50T01 triggers also had a sort of 'step' with the second stage and had horrible pressed blades.

The nicest trigger probably goes to the Feinwerkbau 150/300 series, but that was a match rifle and still pisses all over the Rekord and its clones.

As Le Geezer has said, the Original Diana 35 would probably be the one to go for, although the 27 is a very nice rifle if you can find one.

Cheers guys,

I’ll keep an eye out for a 35 or 27 ad they seem ideal.

Turns out there are a couple of Original 45’s in use at the club as well as a Anschutz 335 so we’ll give them a try at the next Comp.

Thanks,

Matt.

Walther LG55DST (double set trigger). It makes even the famous Rekord unit feel like a bog door latch.

For (almost) full power and light weight I would go for the early Original 35.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Walther LG55DST (double set trigger). It makes even the famous Rekord unit feel like a bog door latch.
    Ian, you shouldn't flaunt your DST in front of the Commoners, it just makes them green with envy and the next thing you know they will be storming the Winter Palace.

Just show them a photo of your BSF 65 like you normally do and we can all sleep safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

Just show them a photo of your BSF 65 like you normally do and we can all sleep safely.
    O. K.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=27

Night, night.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    That's better, the Unicorn of springers, left after the PCPs flooded the Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    That's better, the Unicorn of springers, left after the PCPs flooded the Earth.
    I used it to shoot rats on Noahs Ark.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Cheers guys,

I’ll keep an eye out for a 35 or 27 ad they seem ideal.

Turns out there are a couple of Original 45’s in use at the club as well as a Anschutz 335 so we’ll give them a try at the next Comp.

Thanks,

Matt.

Let us know how you get on.